EVGA Problems please advise

apcor

Limp Gawd
I am having some problems with EVGA and I was wondering if someone might provide any insight. I have been through 5 RMA's with EVGA to date. The first 4 were for an 8800gtx, and of those 4, the first 3 were bad right out of the box - got blue artifacts on the screen in windows and could not game at all. RMA #4 lasted about 3 weeks and functioned well but crapped out after 3 weeks, leaving me with the same blue artifacts in windows and could not game at all. After complaining on their forums they sent me GTX 280 which was nice but it was dead on arrival. I am not sure what is going on at this point, and am nearing my wits end. For the record I have a Corsair 650W PSU and have tested the rails with a multimeter and they were on spec. Could anyone offer any insight on what the problem - is.....me or EVGA. Also is this normal to go through so many bad RMA's??? They certainly are quick to offer an RMA but something is not right here.

Thanks

I dunno, but 5 bad cards is very odd. I think in the 15 years I've been building PCs, I may have seen one bad card, a TNT2 one many years ago. I'd look at other components or try the cards in other system(s) to make sure they're in fact defective. And no, it is not normal for 5 RMAs to be defective. 1 defective card possibly, 2 very unlikely but 5 astronomical odds, almost sure that it's not the card's fault.

Actually I have seen several threads on different forums with similar problems with evga. Also two of the RMA'd 8800's were tested on another computer and gave the same result. I am pretty confident that they bad cards but as I am sure you know with PC's, sometimes the problem is well hidden so I dont want throw EVGA under the bus just yet. Plus as I mentioned they are quick to send out an RMA and even as in this last case send me an upgrade. Objectively speaking; dont you think that this series of events would have triggered some response by some of EVGA's more advanced techs? Also which components outside of the PSU would you recommend testing? This gtx 280 I just received wont even let me boot into windows. No splash logo, nothing. The fan spins on the card, it tries to boot, fails, then automatically retrys, then just sits there giving black screen.

Thanks

I dunno, but 5 bad cards is very odd. I think in the 15 years I've been building PCs, I may have seen one bad card, a TNT2 one many years ago. I'd look at other components or try the cards in other system(s) to make sure they're in fact defective. And no, it is not normal for 5 RMAs to be defective. 1 defective card possibly, 2 very unlikely but 5 astronomical odds, almost sure that it's not the card's fault.

Last edited:
Back