EVGA PrecisionX 15 is on Steam.

Those pictures in that article don't make sense. They say they're from the new version but they're identical to the old version. I wonder if EVGA's marketing posted the wrong pictures. Guess I'll have to download it and see.

As a long-time Afterburner user...won't it work just fine on EVGA cards anyway? I use it to OC my ASUS card.

Well after downloading it, it pretty much does look just like the last one. The main skin is a little different but the options menu and the hardware monitor UI look just like the last one.

Running this through Steam causes some issues... like you can't update Steam without closing EVGA Precision (because Steam wont restart while a Steam application is running).

Stick with the non-steam version, if you're going to use it at all.

From the Unwinder, the creator of program, as he posted in the earlier mentioned link of Guru3D

"Original EVGA Precision EXE resources and dialog templates were copy-pasted to this “in-house” project as is, even original dialog control IDs are the same. Company PRs already claim that GUI is 100% designed by EVGA which is sadly not true, company designed concept art of EVGA Precision skin only. All product properties, entire monitoring section, setting and so on came from directly original RivaTuner (and were available in other RivaTuner based products like HIS iTurbo years before Precision was born) and EVGA has no relation to designing them at all. So company directly violated our license agreement terms and reverse engineered licensed binaries to copy data from it and represent it as their own design.

EVGA completely cloned original RivaTuner’s RTMUI multilanguage context help system and localization engine. Contents of “Help” and “Localization” folders were copy-pasted to new product as is from original Precision, including localization and GUI translation databases for different languages. “Help” folder contains direct mapping of dialog IDs to help files, I guess getting easy access to it as direct reason of “copying” original dialog templates with original dialog IDs. So the company also violated our license agreement terms and redistributed parts of original product without permission.

Even “in-house” skin still uses my original raster fonts from old good RivaTuner. But at least that can be partially justified. Out intellectual property ownership terms of agreement define that I own software product copyrights, the company exclusively owns the product distribution rights as well as non-software intellectual properties like trademarks, product name, logos and artwork I create for them during the contract. So you may try to fit “copied” fonts in this category if you close eyes on the fact that it came from original RT.

Fun thing, even for the installer of “in-house” product the company copy-pasted my own license agreement from original installer, which contains my own third party components licensing terms and direct restriction on reverse engineering or redistributing them. Probably you’ll at least read what exactly do you copy paste, EVGA?

The most sad and painful thing for me is that the company entirely copy-pasted RivaTuner’s unique concepts of displaying data into On-Screen Display. RvaTuner Statistics Server was the first tool in the industry that introduced the concept of in-game hardware monitoring via OSD back in 2005, I spent almost than 10 years on polishing it. And most sad thing for me is that original Precision was not supposed to include such functionality, so it is not included in development budget and royalty fees. I added RTSS to Precision in one of the first versions completely free of any licensing fees just to help the company to promote new tool and it truly became one of the most important application features. So it was used during more than 5 years completely free (and the company was never brave to admit that) and in final they originally “thanked” for free OSD usage by stealing it. EVGA’s brand new “in-house” OSD is also open a simple rip of open source FW1FontWrapper overlay. And If I were the developer of FW1FontWrapper, I’d read the story of RTSS and think 1000 times about it. "

I thought the same guy did both. Edit: oh I see, there's been a parting of ways with version 15.

Does it have to launch Steam to launch EVGA Precision? That's a no-go ...

Last edited:
Key Features

GPU, Memory and Voltage Control
Power Target Control
Pixel Clock Overclocking – OC your refresh rate!
Integrated Steam Achievements
Frame Rate Target Control
Custom Fan Control/Fan Curve
Profiling system allowing up to 10 profiles with hotkey
Robust monitoring including ingame OSD with 64 and 32bit support
In game screenshot hotkey supports BMP and JPG formats
Support for wireless Bluetooth overclocking via custom Android app

LOL Integrated Steam Achievements
OMG my gtx 780 needs this so bad ! I wish all the steam crap and social gaming would die already.
I have an evga and I just use msi afterburner anyway.

From the Unwinder, the creator of program, as he posted in the earlier mentioned link of Guru3D

{snip}

Man that blows. EVGA is about my favorite brand along with Corsair based on their customer service and generally how they treated people as a company. Outright ripping RivaTuner off especially when its as blatantly obvious as it is with this, is kinda shady and if all that is true (and it looks like it is) then that really lowers my opinion. I first used RivaTuner on my old Powercolor 4850 back in the day and its a genius piece of software. The creators of that definitely deserve their dues, royalties or whatever theyre called if Precision X is going to be such a blatant copy/paste job. I hope they can get this sorted out because this could be a black eye for EVGA which is an otherwise top notch company at least in my experience.

This is a really awful and rotten thing to do on evga's part. Horrible...

Took their name off my sig.

There's always two sides to every story..... At least I'll give EVGA a bit of credit for even responding to the statements made by Unwinder. Will have to sit back and watch this one. Should be entertaining.

Here's EVGA's official response from their forum.

First, we value the relationship that we have with RivaTuner Alex/Unwinder since Feb.13th, 2008. With EVGA and Alex/Unwinder mutual efforts, Precision has become a very popular overclocking utility since it launched. Afterburner’s first release was in Oct. 2009.

It was originally EVGA’s idea to provide the world’s first “simple” overclocking GUI designed for NVIDIA cards that utilizes some of the Rivatuner technology for free. Due to some misinformation floating around about EVGA Precision recently, we would like to clarify several points. Also, EVGA wouldn’t have any interest to develop our own version if Alex/Unwinder had showed his interest back then like we’ve seen today!

1. The EVGA Precision main GUI (main Window) and format was fully designed and owned by EVGA, that means Alex/Unwinder did not design the Precision GUI at all. The Rivatuner technology was used for the backend like GPU reporting, OSD and overclocking. Other features like voltage tuning, pixel clock control and Bluetooth function were coded by EVGA. We want it to be clear that Rivatuner source code has never been released to EVGA. A year and half after Precision was introduced, Afterburner was released, that shared a lot of the same ideas and concepts originally set by EVGA’s Precision, and also used Rivatuner technology.
2. Most gamers knew that some of the key features that have been requested and missed such as 64bit OSD, voltage control and video recording in the early versions of Precision, yet Afterburner had it. You probably don’t know that some of those ideas were initiated and requested to Alex/Unwinder by EVGA to implement into Precision well before it was available in Afterburner, but Alex/Unwinder had no intention to add it. One year later they showed up in Afterburner exclusively without any notification and/or offer to EVGA. We felt that we became Alex/Unwinder and Afterburner’s free consultant if we continue this route.

We like Precision, the interface and the features, just like most of the gamers in the community, but under these circumstances, it became clear that in order to provide more features that are requested by the community, we needed to recode the back end from the ground up, using our own existing Precision skin designed as merely inspiration, that is why today we have the new EVGA PrecisionX 15. In the latest PrecisionX 15 we have put in some features like 64bit OSD support, Steam achievements and more. We want to make it clear that EVGA PrecisionX 15 is 100% coded in house without using any code from the older Precision due to we don’t have the source code since day one!

EVGA will continue adding features to support the community on PrecisionX15 for free as usual, and hope to inspire other overclocking utilities to be better for the entire gaming community.

The bottom line is that EVGA doesn’t want any third party to dictate what features the community should or should not have!

EVGA

link to page
http://forums.evga.com/Did-EVGA-jus...cept-into-PrecisionX-15-m2191513.aspx#2191896

Last edited:
1. The EVGA Precision main GUI (main Window) and format was fully designed and owned by EVGA, that means Alex/Unwinder did not design the Precision GUI at all.
Wow, there's some lawyer speak there. The simplistic Precision upon its inception could have been designed for EVGA which did not resemble RT but IIRC the preferences box copied over to it from RT, just the "frontend" was different.

Unless I'm missing something, RT has been pretty much the same interface since before the EVGA relationship. There is no way they can claim they designed this Precision which is all Unwinder's work.

Kinda regretting buying an EVGA 780 now..

Yeesh.. makes me ashamed to own a EVGA card.
Lump me squarely in the I don't believe most of what EVGA says camp..

If you don't like evga or you are ashamed of this just buy from another manufacturer.

P.S. good luck with those warranties...

While this is a insanely dumb situation for EVGA to have put themselves in, this does not make me regret buying EVGA products in the slightest. As long as they stand behind their products, I'm still cool with them.
Shame on whoever it was in house that thought it was a good idea to just copy Unwinders work. I understand they wanted people to be familiar with the new Precision X, but in this case, it might have been best to just go with a whole new design.

This isn't going to end well apparently!

watch_out_for_the_shockwave_gif_1768356799.gif

No if anything I think this is going to be a VERY bad PR move for EVGA.

Everyone knows you can download MSI Afterburner to overclock, doesn't matter what brand you use.

Once people find out EVGA is trying to copy it and say its there own it will not go well. Facebook and Twitter now make shady business tactics look bad if it goes viral.

Look how bad the Watch Dogs Graphics not being the same, or Dark Souls II. Once people start bitching it will go viral.

Wow, there's some lawyer speak there. The simplistic Precision upon its inception could have been designed for EVGA which did not resemble RT but IIRC the preferences box copied over to it from RT, just the "frontend" was different.

Unless I'm missing something, RT has been pretty much the same interface since before the EVGA relationship. There is no way they can claim they designed this Precision which is all Unwinder's work.

Kinda regretting buying an EVGA 780 now..

If EVGA did design the GUI and format but only used the back end of RivaTuner as pre contact.. then any use of the GUI and format is a breech of contact if Alex used it to build Afterburner using EVGA in house tech.

So I would think EVGA has been real nice about this for a long time with Afterburner using it's GUI and format is how I see it.. I don't use EVGA or Afterburner and just calling it like I see it as I have no dog in this fight.

I installed the latest version (non steam version of course ;) ), and the GUI is generally exactly the same, but now the OSD does work in 64 bit games. It doesn't look at all like they used any RTSS stuff as it still has many features missing like list of excluded applications. It's either on or off, if it's on even my mail checking program has the OSD in it lol. Personally I am glad RTSS is gone and the program is just standalone with no need to install RTSS just to show the OSD.

Personally I don't care about either side. I use EVGA's software because I bought their card. I tried to use afterburner because I wanted the OSD in 64bit games, but it never worked right so I uninstalled it and just lived without it. Now EVGA's is working in both 64bit and 32bit so I am using it.

From update 6...
I just decided to peek inside "in-house" application EXE. I'd better avoid doing so: even my original EXE string table is inside new executable as is. Including all the messages of original application, including all the messages of my proprietary USF skin compiler / decompiler built into original RivaTuner skinning engine, even including the references to original RivaTuner core libraries (RTTSH.dll). Even including the messages related to RivaTuner’s G15 LCD output module, which the company probably also tried to clone but couldn’t get working yet. Really, EVGA?

OMFFFFFG! :mad:

Completely unbelievable...

Ha, so EVGA has gone downhill software side too, huh? No surprise there. I was done with EVGA when I had to RMA my 7950GX2 twice, 9800GTX thrice, and my GTX295 once. All three are dead now.

Never dealt with them ever again.

If EVGA did design the GUI and format but only used the back end of RivaTuner as pre contact.. then any use of the GUI and format is a breech of contact if Alex used it to build Afterburner using EVGA in house tech.

So I would think EVGA has been real nice about this for a long time with Afterburner using it's GUI and format is how I see it.. I don't use EVGA or Afterburner and just calling it like I see it as I have no dog in this fight.

The settings menu has always pretty much looked like that in RivaTuner, Precision and Afterburner. EVGA only designed the main UI skin.

EVGA didn't design it. The GUI was basically like in the first RivaTuner versions before there was even a Precision X or Afterburner. EVGA just made some skins.

Anyway, I've already sent a nice message to EVGA telling them that they have lost a customer and that they should really just tell their PR people to keep quite and stop digging the hole deeper.

I dont know if you recall that RivaTuner existed before EVGA was even a company, thats where it gets the name (NVIDIA Riva TnT for example, pre geforce). AB and this Precision basically borrowed from RT.

Just gave it a try and promptly uninstalled it and went back to the previous version. This whole steam integration thing is just stupid. Now if I want to leave it running in the background for the OSD or whatever I'll be stuck "In-App" on my status ALL the time.

This has steam achievements. Steam ACHIEVEMENTS. What.

http://forums.evga.com/EVGA-PrecisionX-15-Update-m2193321.aspx

A little damage control by EVGA

"We understand that there is a lot of confusion and misinformation in the internet community about Guru3D’s article titled “Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ?”. We would like to clarify the following:

1. Precision’s original main GUI concept was designed and provided to the community by EVGA in 2008.
2. The RivaTuner control panel and backend code in prior versions of Precision were developed and is owned by the RivaTuner developer. EVGA does not own the source code for any RivaTuner code. EVGA paid for the development and distribution rights per the contract.
3. The new EVGA PrecisionX 15 was coded from scratch by EVGA without copying any of the RivaTuner code.
4. Both RivaTuner and EVGA PrecisionX 15 make use of the NVIDIA NVAPI to communicate with NVIDIA graphics cards and drivers, which is owned and provided by NVIDIA.

Some people mentioned that the file structure in EVGA PrecisionX 15 is similar to the previous version of Precision. During development, we referenced the USF skin format (which has been published by RivaTuner developer at Guru3D forums in 2009http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=3316361&postcount=8 to allow the community to create their own skins). The above mentioned feature would make it simple to allow users to recompile any previous skins to work with the new version of PrecisionX 15. However, we do understand the confusion caused by trying to maintain this feature and we will change it in the next release.

Next, it was also mentioned that the code contains text references (not code) to the word “RivaTuner” and the word “RTTSH.dll”, a RivaTuner file. This actually came from the user interface localization / help (wording). During the original Precision development, EVGA worked with several outside firms to help translate user interface help files into various languages, unfortunately this is a misprint in the translation files and will be fixed. Again, no RivaTuner code was ever used in EVGA PrecisionX 15. We apologize to the RivaTuner developer for this error.

Originally our goal was to add more features such as 64bit OSD, Steam, updated voltage controls, and more to a new version without changing the Precision user’s experience that they were already familiar with. Unfortunately, the “similarities” between the two programs have led people to believe that EVGA might have copied the code and design from RivaTuner, which is not the case. Given the circumstances, in order to remove any questions and to further differentiate it visually from the previous versions of EVGA Precision, EVGA has decided to listen to the community and suspend the downloading of EVGA PrecisionX 15 temporarily while these updates are being implemented.

Please remember, Precision was and is built for the community and without the community EVGA Precision and many other overclocking utilities would not be where they are today. It is EVGA’s commitment to continue investing in the development of PrecisionX by adding the features the community asks for while providing it free of charge!

Thank You,
EVGA"

Given the circumstances, in order to remove any questions and to further differentiate it visually from the previous versions of EVGA Precision, EVGA has decided to listen to the community and suspend the downloading of EVGA PrecisionX 15 temporarily while these updates are being implemented.
Admission of guilt, right there...

Admission of guilt, right there...

I agree..Alex has been a godsend to the Nvidia crowd well before EVGA was even a pipe dream..I think I have to believe his story. He has never struck me as an Attention Whore (I'm looking at you douche bag developer of MineCraft) so for him to come out swinging says a lot IMO..Then there is the fact they "suspended" the downloading as a gesture of good faith:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:....

I tried it out, for some reason it had bad interaction with the Ctrl key as a modifier. In DotA2 i couldn't use control to share bottle charges and in CS:GO i couldn't change weapons while crouched.

Maybe I didn't look at all the options/preferences closely enough.. But anyway, went back to 4.2.1

guess Im lucky... got the steam version wouldnt work.. got the evga version.. wouldnt work.. so oh well...
guess I am indeed lucky

Back