eVGA Once Again Kicks Booty!

AciDeX

Gawd
Just thought that I would share my most recent RMA experience.

I've had a 7900GT KO 512mb since they came out in '06. Definitely put it through its paces,
I had a TR HR-03 on it for awhile and was able to clock it pretty high and never had any troubles.
When I got my 8800GT 512mb last winter I had to retire it as well as the Thermalright. With the stock heatsink on,
it did a pretty good job on the temps but still a little high. Then when my buddies 7900GT KO 256mb burned out
on him a month ago I loaned it to him till he could get his RMA 9600GT back from eVGA.
While he had it he said it ran ok but a little hot and got a black screen every once and a while that would pop up
for a few seconds and then return to the desktop or game or whatever you were doing.
Never crashed just turned off the display for a few seconds.

When he got his replacement card in I figured it was time to RMA this card as well. Only the bad part,
since this was a "step-up" card I had forgotten to re-register it so it was not on my eVGA profile!
I thought I had shot myself in the foot there! But to my surprise eVGA was totally cool about it
and did a "one time RMA replacement" to register the 7900GT KO. At first they gave me a choice of a single slot(9600GT)
or dual-slot(8800GTS 320/640mb) for replacement. I tried to talk them into another 8800GT 512,
but the tech seemed doubtful that it would get approved. So I went ahead with the 8800GTS 320mb,
since you have a 14-day window to mail it in I was waiting until I was at work next to send it out.
So today I figure that it's worth a shot to try and get that 8800GT approved again.
I called up and told them "I was about to drop my 7900 in the mail and just noticed last
night that I don't have room for the dual slot card that we had originally agreed upon".
Tech was extremely helpful and was able to change my request. So now I "hopefully" have a
new 8800GT coming to me for a 3-year old replacement card! Now whether I get a 512mb one is still in the air,
I bet that it'll be a 256mb... but still better to get a G92 than the G80 GPU! We'll see in a week or so if I get to run SLi finally! :cool:

I like eVGA, if I were to purchase an nVidia chip, that'd be the only brand I'd buy.

Asus FTL

1st RMA dead X1900XT 256mb - send card in, waited 2 weeks - got exact same card back - same problem.

2nd RMA dead X1900XT 256mb -send card in, waited another 2 weeks - got exact same card back - same problem and the PCI slot was bent to hell.

3rd RMA dead X1900XT 256mb - send card in, got a phone call asking for the specs of computer + case so they can test? Even after I stated testing the card outside the case to make sure it's defective and not just overheating.

This time waited 3 weeks... finally got a replacement a used and dusty X1900XT 512mb***, and it works... finally..... LOL.

Never buying from Asus again since their tech guys are idiots and the third RMA the CS rep on the phone tested my card personally for me.... thanks a lot TRINITY.

Also forgot to ad, my RMA of my older EVGA 6800gs took a week and a half for me to get a replacement :)

I like eVGA, if I were to purchase an nVidia chip, that'd be the only brand I'd buy.

+3 eVGA FTW.

During the 7900 series memory debacle (or whatever it was) I got two new 7900GTX Reloadeds sent to me overnight even though the tech on the phone said it would take three days. Also, their tech support speaks real English. That alone practically guarantees my business (as long as I'm not constantly calling tech support, which I have never had to do).

Nice to read of the good outcome of what happened, AciDeX.

When it comes to Nvidia brands, I like XFX and eVGA the most.

XFX for their warranty and eVGA for their step up program.

Another very satisfied eVGA customer right here. Switched from BFG and don't regret it at all.

+3 eVGA FTW.

During the 7900 series memory debacle (or whatever it was) I got two new 7900GTX Reloadeds sent to me overnight even though the tech on the phone said it would take three days. Also, their tech support speaks real English. That alone practically guarantees my business (as long as I'm not constantly calling tech support, which I have never had to do).

I dodged that bullet, both the 7900's I sent back recently were from the bad Samsung RAM batch.
My friend's and my card ran hard for almost 3 years before seeing any of those memory issues.

I also agree completely with having American tech support FTW. I work helpdesk for retail,
and whenever I have to call for service outside of work it always seems hard to work with overseas support.
To keep on-topic I won't bring up my most recent call to Microsoft about a Vista64/ Xbox360 issue I am having.
But I will mention that my call was "bounced" between three Tier 1 Microsoft Tech's, two Xbox Tier 1 Techs,
and hung up on twice before being told that the "customer database is down and to call back tomorrow".
I never did get to talk to an American or anyone of a higher tech skill set, even upon request.
Let's just say they didn't get a very positive "How did we do?" survey from me. :D

I will however keep buying eVGA as long as they continue to impress.
Its nice to have the benefits they offer even though they go unnoticed untill you have to use them!

Glad to see you guys are so satisfied with the RMA process and American Based tech support. ;) :)

I like them too but their stepup program is very lame...at least they are considering allowing non vanilla upgrades.

vanilla version since I traded in a 9800 GTX OC. Should be allowed to upgrade to any of current cards. I am glad you can stepup. Evga rocks on support and their cards though.

vanilla version since I traded in a 9800 GTX OC. Should be allowed to upgrade to any of current cards. I am glad you can stepup. Evga rocks on support and their cards though.

To be honest, im pretty sure they would love to do this but there just isnt enough of an allocation or quantity to allow something like that to happen. The reason is because the overclocked cards do take more time to test and get to those clocks and there are less of them which means you're taking more overclocked cards off the market and also people will want to stepup to the highest possible clocks they can and this will mean that they will probably end up waiting a long time since they are in limited quantities and there is a need to get these cards out to retailers on top of that stepup commitment. Simply put its a lot easier for EVGA to give a stock clock card for stepup since it means shorter stepup times and more people able to stepup.

When I got my 8800GT last winter my step-up window was right in with the 9800GTX launch.
The OC versions took about a week I think to come out after the original release of the GTX.
On the day that the GTX launched, I swear they were available to step-up to. I remember
because I was checking step-up options every day. I thought it was pretty strange, and was
going to wait till that weekend to decide on getting one. By the time I checked the next day
they were gone! Just vanilla 9800GTX's... I seriously thought I was going crazy lol!

It would kinda make sense to have an extremely limited window to step-up to OC cards. It
would almost give your loyal customer base first dibs on the creme of the crop. Then wham!
Slam the door on the goodies and hope nobody noticed the phat hookup that just went down.

Or they just messed up and put them on there for a day... :D

When I got my 8800GT last winter my step-up window was right in with the 9800GTX launch.
The OC versions took about a week I think to come out after the original release of the GTX.
On the day that the GTX launched, I swear they were available to step-up to. I remember
because I was checking step-up options every day. I thought it was pretty strange, and was
going to wait till that weekend to decide on getting one. By the time I checked the next day
they were gone! Just vanilla 9800GTX's... I seriously thought I was going crazy lol!

It would kinda make sense to have an extremely limited window to step-up to OC cards. It
would almost give your loyal customer base first dibs on the creme of the crop. Then wham!
Slam the door on the goodies and hope nobody noticed the phat hookup that just went down.

Or they just messed up and put them on there for a day... :D

It was an error, and they do happen sometimes when they put new cards up on stepup. Its happened before, and they almost always honor it. But it was definitely an error, i remember that day.

the vanilla 8800gt i got from the step-up program last fall was factory flashed as an SC edition. of course i took it much farther than that anyways.

love evga's service and warranty, though my cheaper galaxy 8800gt runs much cooler and overclocks much better, albeit without a warranty. :p

i just wish evga had double lifetime warranties like xfx do. makes for better resale value.

who am i kidding tho... i keep all my video cards. :D

BFG sort of has the same "dual lifetime" warranty since they dont ask for a receipt so as long as you dont tell you are the second owner...all is fine. :)
The problem with EVGA step up is simple....most people that could actually take advantage of the step up are power users that want to have the latest and greatest all the time....those same power users are they guys willing to pay extra to get a binned card to make sure they dont get a lemon clocker....so nehy limit offer those guys willing to pay your company extra $$$ to only Vanilla cards? It just doesnt make sense...
I used to buy EVGA based on the stepup option but after realizing how useless it is, that is no longer a factor.

eVGA is def an awesome vendor. I personally prefer BFG though. After the experiences I have had with BFG it will be hard to pry me away from them :D

The problem with EVGA step up is simple....most people that could actually take advantage of the step up are power users that want to have the latest and greatest all the time....those same power users are they guys willing to pay extra to get a binned card to make sure they dont get a lemon clocker....so nehy limit offer those guys willing to pay your company extra $$$ to only Vanilla cards? It just doesnt make sense...

I really think the issue is that alot of people are looking at this from a demand side point of view instead of a supply side point of view, which is what really dictates the entire process. Simply put, there isnt enough supply of overclocked cards to satisfy both the retail market as well as the stepup market. Therefore EVGA is forced to make available those cards which are most in availability, which are the reference clocked cards as through the way that cards are made means that there will be significantly more of. Because there are more stock clocked cards there is a better chance that your stepup will be fulfilled in a timely manner and that you will have a chance to stepup. Because if stepup were to be made available for the overclocked cards you would be subject to delays in testing and other things that dont occur with reference cards as much as overclocked ones. Also since there are less cards that means more people are fighting for less supply dictating there would be a shortage and that people would be waiting in line for a lot longer than anticipated and eventually becoming unhappy with the speed of the program and ultimately dropping their stepup altogether.

I hope EVGA really is good with their RMA process because I'm about to go through it. My GTX 260 (which is less than 3 months old) has died.
It went from occasional crashes in game to frequent crashes, and then to always crashing within half an hour. It now can't even run Windows for more than a few minutes.
Fortunately I still have my X1900XT as a backup.

I recently sent in a 7900GT KO that was in my HTPC and didnt know what to get back i was expecting a 8600GT and they sent me an 8800GTS 320mb which was awesome but wont fit in my HTPC so i called and they are sending me an 8800GT the 512mb version in an advanced RMA so i dont even have to pay for shipping. Im loving EVGA so far. Sucks that the 8800GT wont fit in my HTPC but its a slight upgrade for my desktop so ill figure something out with the 8800GTS 320 Superclocked that in my desktop now. Most likely sell it and buy a 512mb 8600 GT.

Nice Thanatos! Good to hear the 7900GT KO is getting a great value still.
Even after 3 years! Way better than eVGA some dusty 7800/ 7900 off a
shelf in the back of the warehouse! :D

On the plus side they just recieved my card according to my tracking
number. With any Luck I'll have my replacement in the mail first thing
tomorrow!

+1 for EVGA stepup
+2 for the RMA and cross-ship upgrade options (about the same price as paying for shipping anyway)
+3 for the Lifetime warranty

I'll always buy the EVGA version over another brand now.

Just an update, I recieved my replacement card on Monday this week. Its indeed an 8800GT 512! After re-installing drivers and busting out my dusty old Biostar SLI bridge that has not ever seen use I am running some SLI goodness! Sure my mobo is getting old and only supports SLI in 8x mode but at 1680x1050 I can say there is deffinatly a good amount of performance increase. Not to mention games that I was only able to run 2x AA on before now run silky smooth with 4x AA or even 8x in LOTRO! Who can complain with sending in a three year old card for replacement and recieving an almost brand new one in return! :cool:

I know now that my next mobo will have to be SLI too, but by the time I let my s939 Toledo go who knows what game will make these things obsolete! I'm thinking Farcry 2 will destroy these little 8800GT's, not to mention I have yet to try Crysis out. At least I got this setup just in time for Fallout 3! :D

AciDeX, Glad to hear your RMA went well! I too had to RMA my first EVGA card, the dreaded 7900GT KO 512, it went so smoothly, I have since bought 2 other EVGA cards. With the updates and guidance I got here in PM's from RussianHAXOR and a E-mail exchange I had with Mr Darwin with my questions, I can safely say I will never buy another brand card, and will nudge any and all of my buds in the direction of EVGA for Mobos and Vid cards as well.

Cool T3ch, I've converted all my buddies over to EVGA as well. With the exception of my roommate that is a diehard XFX user. Cant win 'em all huh? Still by far not a bad choice, I think he just likes the "cyberdog mascot" lol. I say as long as you go with any of the three GFX cards powerhouses(EVGA, BFG and XFX) you can't go wrong.

Back