EVGA Offering Additional Thermal Pads For Overheating GTX 1080 / 1070 Cards

HardOCP News

[H] News
For those of you having overheating issues with your new EVGA GTX 1080 and 1070 cards, the company is aware of the issue and is now offering additional thermal pads free of charge. Thanks to everyone that sent this one in.

During our recent testing, we have applied additional thermal pads between the backplate and the PCB and between the baseplate and the heatsink fins, with the results shown below. We will offer these optional thermal pads free of charge to EVGA owners who want to have a lower temperature. These thermal pads will be ready soon; and customers can request them on Monday, October 24th, 2016.

Last edited:
Been searching high and low and I can't find any pictures of what the existing heatplate looks like on the bottom. Did they just not put any pads on the VRM ...?

(Underneath the plate shown here)

hSW3XWT.png

The pads on the back of the PCB will probably help more than putting pads between the plate and fins...

i have no heat issues with my evga gtx 1070. what batch is having those ?

Appears to be mostly FTW cards, and you wouldn't know if the VRMs were melting or not just based on the GPU core temp.

Read through the huge thread on the EVGA boards.

It seems an issue with the ACX cooler's pads making contact with the VRMs, which affects all the ACX models, however the FTW cards are specifically having the most issues. Apparently the FTW cards use a non-reference PCB where the VRMs are moved closer to the GPU and can overheat when combined with non-flush pads. The SC series cards use the reference boards, which have been the same for the last few generations and although people have also found the non-flush pads on the 1070s, the location of the VRMs doesn't let it overheat like the FTW series. Apparently the issue comes up when running Furmark when it forces the card to pull the max power that's allowed, as opposed to normal use in gaming or other appliations that won't eat the same amount of power.

EVGA is giving out free thermal pads that can be applied on the VRMs to any 1070, 1080, SC or FTW series card. Can ask for free pads here EVGA - EVGA Thermal Pad Mod Request

I just ordered a 1070 black edition...so need to figure out if I just return the card and go with another brand or keep EVGA....

I just ordered a 1070 black edition...so need to figure out if I just return the card and go with another brand or keep EVGA....
In the same boat. My 1070 FTW hasn't given me any serious trouble, but I do get those black screen flashes fairly regularly. I requested the pad (thanks for the link), but am not sure I want to try taking apart the card myself. I'll most likely get an MSI 1080 and include the pad with my 1070 when I sell it.

In the same boat. My 1070 FTW hasn't given me any serious trouble, but I do get those black screen flashes fairly regularly. I requested the pad (thanks for the link), but am not sure I want to try taking apart the card myself. I'll most likely get an MSI 1080 and include the pad with my 1070 when I sell it.

If you get the black screen flashes your VRMs may already be damaged, just not completely ruined. I'd send it to EVGA for RMA replacement.

I just got an EVGA Superclocked 1070, and the model number is among those affected. Haven't noticed any issues in the short time I've owned it, but will opt to run a BIOS update first before I consider installing thermal pads.

I just got an EVGA Superclocked 1070, and the model number is among those affected. Haven't noticed any issues in the short time I've owned it, but will opt to run a BIOS update first before I consider installing thermal pads.

Just updated the card's BIOS, first time I've ever done so, and it proceeded smoothly. Hope that was enough, as I've only used the card for about a day or two before applying the update. I did run some ZMARK stress tests on it during that time, but don't recall experiencing any black flashing screens.

Just updated the card's BIOS, first time I've ever done so, and it proceeded smoothly. Hope that was enough, as I've only used the card for about a day or two before applying the update. I did run some ZMARK stress tests on it during that time, but don't recall experiencing any black flashing screens.
You notice any difference in the fan profile and noise?
I do wonder how they calculated the fan profiles for the different models, of if they just went more generic calculation.
Cheers

You notice any difference in the fan profile and noise?
I do wonder how they calculated the fan profiles for the different models, of if they just went more generic calculation.
Cheers

I haven't been using the card long enough to notice a difference in the noise (I wear headphones most of the time anyway), and I've never messed with a card's fan profiles (I'm not that advanced a computer enthusiast). I performed the card BIOS update only as a preventative measure.

Replacing my first generation GTX TITAN with this 1070 was the first time I'd ever replaced a video card since the year 2000, when I replaced a 2d AGP card in my Packard Bell Pentium 2 with my very first 3D card: a Voodoo 3 3000 PCI (I didn't notice at the time that PCI was one technology generation behind AGP) with 16 megabytes of VRAM. All of the other cards I've used were installed by professionals, usually at the time of each system's assembly.

I haven't been using the card long enough to notice a difference in the noise (I wear headphones most of the time anyway), and I've never messed with a card's fan profiles (I'm not that advanced a computer enthusiast). I performed the card BIOS update only as a preventative measure.

Replacing my first generation GTX TITAN with this 1070 was the first time I'd ever replaced a video card since the year 2000, when I replaced a 2d AGP card in my Packard Bell Pentium 2 with my very first 3D card: a Voodoo 3 3000 PCI (I didn't notice at the time that PCI was one technology generation behind AGP) with 16 megabytes of VRAM. All of the other cards I've used were installed by professionals, usually at the time of each system's assembly.
Ah k thanks and yeah if you are not messing with the fan profiles yourself the BIOS definitely makes sense, if you do get a feel for a difference please let us know.
Cheers

I hope that applying thermal pads will let me get an even better overclock of my 1070 SC.

If you're going to get a 1080 and sell the 1070, then just RMA the 1070. That way, you'll have a brand-new, unopened 1070 to sell, rather than a used one with VRM damage, and which needs work before running.

what a fucking headache.
After browsing the EVGA forums, it appears you might not get a new card if you return yours for cross shipment. They may send you a refurbished one with thermal mod instead.

http://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2576983

Generally RMA cards are rectified (refurbished). It's been in the product warranty for years and people never read and flip their shit once they find out.

• All products returned from EVGA's RMA department are thoroughly tested recertified products. If an RMA is necessary within 30 days of the original purchase date, a new in box OEM replacement will be sent in return if the product was purchased new-in-box, subject to availability.

Yeah on another forum I follow it has been confirmed that those who had purchased their cards within the initial 30 days and are now returning them are getting a new card, although that is specific to the UK so not sure how pans out everywhere else.
Might come down to that advanced RMA support or whatever it is called that EVGA does in some places, which we have here in the UK.
Cheers

This recertifed replacement requirement is really bullshit. This was their fault and my card still artifacts, I don't feel like I owe them another 10 days to mail me the corrected VRAM thermal pads and be punished for their oversight. I really hope there is a class action law suit against them. This is not the way to handle this.

I got an RMA, but would like a new replacement. I was just outside of 30 days since purchase though, so initially they refused to replace it. I am using the SC Black Edition which runs a bit cooler due to the lack of a backplate. Not sure what I would get back, a Black SC with the thermal pad installed or an SC with a backplate with both thermal pads installed. I am also worried I may get back a worse card with less warranty time.

Back