[Evga Jacob] dual socket 2011 board ??

Juggalo23451

Weaksauce
428844095.jpg

http://twitpic.com/73bm7z
3 x 8-pin power, 2 x 6-pin power FOR THE MOTHERBOARD ALONE.
Info
http://vr-zone.com/articles/evga-sr3-super-record-3-cometh/13788.html

Last edited:
strange layout on the 12 ram slots unless four of them are 1 cpu only slots

I wonder if quad card sli or greater will finally be back by the time this is for sale?

the socket 2011 will support quad channel quad on one triple on the other maybe?

Nope.

Based on that layout, both are quad channel. However, one can have 8 sticks, while the other can only have 4.

All 2011 processors are quad-channel, that's the design of the IMC in the processor. It doesn't matter what the motherboard layout is.

I wonder if quad card sli or greater will finally be back by the time this is for sale?

There has always been quad SLI. You just needed a motherboard that would support it and/or two 590's.

This board is a joke. Why the heck get two CPUs if you can't use the full RAM? Yay EVGA.

Juggalo23451 said:
3 x 8-pin power, 2 x 6-pin power FOR THE MOTHERBOARD ALONE.
hmm, I see two 8-pin and three 6-pin. Not three 8-pin and two 6-pin.

While we won't know for sure until we get the manual I suspect you won't actually need all those connectors in normal use. I'd guess the two 6-pin connectors next to the 8-pin CPU power connectors are for extreme overclocking and the connector by the expansion slots is for big SLI setups.

strange layout on the 12 ram slots unless four of them are 1 cpu only slots
It looks like one CPU has two slots per channel and the other CPU only has one slot per channel. Probablly due to space issues (putting 8 ram slots on the CPU nearer the back panel would probablly cost an expansion slot or two)

I wonder what the PCIe layout on the board is like and what those two big BGA chips are (in particular is one of them a NF200 or similar).

I really like how has EVGA managed the layout of this motherboard. They have mantained the 7 PCI-E slots and for people who already have 12 RAM sticks won't be necessary to buy more. Now you get PCI-E 3.0 which is future proof and more USB 3 ports, something the SR2 lacked. You get also SAS ports thanks to the patsburg-T chipset so you can get more performance from traditional hard disks if you want to pay the premium. As for watercooling purposes the two CPUs now sit one next to the other so the tubing is more linear and if you want to watercool the mobo you don't have to deploy tubing over all the motherboard from top to bottom, only one block should be needed.

I think it's a win-win design.

Edit: as for the PCI-E layout, I don't think it would be a big issue. Two NF200 should add similar latency than having to communicate two pairs of ports between them through the QPI links. Even more, I think it's much better because now you don't have to do multiplexing as all PCI-E ports would be directly connected and you get near to effective 16x bandwidth for all of them (two QPI links, providing 52,4GB/s full duplex if they are typical 20 lane links, needing each 16x PCI-E 3.0 connector 30GB/s full duplex, 2x30=60GB for each pair of PCI-E ports, if my calcs are correct), instead of the effective 8x speed you had with 2xNF200 that with multiplexing you could make them appear as a 16x link. So in theory performance should be better in situations of near saturation of the PCI-E bus.

Last edited:
Wow, think of money you could pour into a system based on that board. Especially if you populated it with 12 x 8GB ram sticks, and quad SLI. :eek:

Wow, think of money you could pour into a system based on that board. Especially if you populated it with 12 x 8GB ram sticks, and quad SLI. :eek:

Quad SLI with a couple of 480gb RevoDrives to fill out the other expansion slots.

Edit: as for the PCI-E layout, I don't think it would be a big issue.
I agree, i'm just puzzled as to what the two big BGAs are. Presumably one of them (at a guess the one near the SATA and SAS ports) is the PCH but what is the other?

iconiK said:
This board is a joke. Why the heck get two CPUs if you can't use the full RAM? Yay EVGA.
meh, I suspect being based on server parts this board will support BIG sticks of ram so the max ram will still be bloody high even if it's a bit lower than the platforms theoretical maximum.

Remember as EVGAs flagship board for games with more money than sense this has to do 4-way SLI so there needs to be room for four long dual slot GPUs. That constrains the layout quite a bit.

I agree, i'm just puzzled as to what the two big BGAs are. Presumably one of them (at a guess the one near the SATA and SAS ports) is the PCH but what is the other?
Maybe it's an additional PCI-E controller. Or a new bridge chip PCI-E 3.0 capable to allow direct communication between the two pairs of 16x slots so they only have to go through QPI links when they have to access the memory from the CPU they aren't attached to. And/or for having x8 capabilities for all the ports. Remember that each CPU should provide 40 lanes of PCI-Express 3.0, two x16 and one x8, 6 ports in total. The seventh port is left alone without PCI-E 3.0 bandwidth if they don't use some trick.

As for the memory, in 2P systems it's not a problem having asymetrical memory sizes. The necessary logic is implemented as it's a unified memory system, not a distributed memory system. All coherency and transactions go through the QPI links.

I would like to clarify my concept of the NF200. It was a bridge to allow 16x communication between the ports, but if they had to go to CPU or memory they had only 8x PCI-E 2.0 bandwidth.

For additional information on the I/O part of Sandy Bridge-EP, I have found this article dated July 28th: http://realworldtech.com/page.cfm?ArticleID=RWT072811020122&p=2.

Last edited:
Back