EVGA ITX Box @ Computex 2013

Damn that is looking good. Too bad about the price, although it does seem to include a decent PSU. I'm worried about the PSU noise (40mm fan) and I'm not a fan of the slanted look.

Damn that is looking good. Too bad about the price, although it does seem to include a decent PSU. I'm worried about the PSU noise (40mm fan) and I'm not a fan of the slanted look.

if it's competing with SS SG07/08, then the price is quite alright. Although I really wished they made it with aluminium

bit larger than SG07/08 (15.9L vs 14.8L 6KG vs 4.9KG)

Last edited:
Surprised it weighs 6 kg as promotional info prior to released stated it was mainly aluminium in construction, but product page lists SECC Material.

if it's competing with SS SG07/08, then the price is quite alright. Although I really wished they made it with aluminium
While it is "competitive", EVGA isn't really a reputable case manufacturer like Silverstone, with questionable materials (SECC and glossy plastic). So in my opinion it is too expensive.

I'm curious about that psu but I cant get the link to work here at my work's network. Anyone got a pic of it they can post?

Well it looks like it doesn't fit a 240 AIO (due to HD cage) but I'm wondering if it could even fit a 120 AIO. There seems to be very little space at the top of the case from where the fans would end to where the top of the motherboard is based on the pictures of the rear of the case.

I'm curious about that psu but I cant get the link to work here at my work's network. Anyone got a pic of it they can post?
Looks a lot like this 1U FSP. Customized with a single 12v rail and fan profile.

Well it looks like it doesn't fit a 240 AIO (due to HD cage) but I'm wondering if it could even fit a 120 AIO. There seems to be very little space at the top of the case from where the fans would end to where the top of the motherboard is based on the pictures of the rear of the case.
The air-only version doesn't look like it could take any type of watercooling. They're doing a separate version for that:

4JAiMRa.png

Q2FhlgM.png

Last edited:
Noooooo
Why o why did they make it so big. It looked soo good on the computex pictures.
Everything that was smart is lost.

1U PSU should have a large fan in the bottom...skipped.
Using the 1U PSU to get a smaller volume... skipped.
and the usual:
Drive bay för optical... included (bad thing)
3,5" drive bays.... included (bad thing).

The good thing is though. They have an 1U PSU in a consumer case. This might open up for further use of 1U which imho is the way to go in a small case instead of SFX which almost always make the case larger then it needs to be.

Seems to lack a hardware reset button, which I don't like.
It's 2013, reset buttons are obselete with modern, stable OS'es. In fact, I'd strongly advise against using a reset button with SSD's for instance, they don't like unannouced power downs.

Noooooo
Why o why did they make it so big. It looked soo good on the computex pictures.
Everything that was smart is lost.
Eh? It doesn't look to have changed any since what they showed at Computex... the pics a couple posts up are of the watercooling version, which is taller to make room for a top mounted rad.

1U PSU should have a large fan in the bottom...skipped.
The components inside a 1U PSU don't allow for a fan over them - they take up pretty much the entire 40mm height. Adding an overhead fan in would push the thickness up, which is basically what TFX or SFX is (63mm thick).

I might be reading you wrong though, if you're saying it'd be better to have a fan on the bottom of the case, where the PSU is. But if that's what you meant, I'm going to go ahead and blame your lack of punctuation :p

Drive bay för optical... included (bad thing)
It's a slim drive though, so it's not like it's taking up any significant space.

Using the 1U PSU to get a smaller volume... skipped.
The good thing is though. They have an 1U PSU in a consumer case. This might open up for further use of 1U which imho is the way to go in a small case instead of SFX which almost always make the case larger then it needs to be.
Sounds like you're contradicting yourself here... using 1U is bad, but it's... good?

Hehe.
I know it's the same size but it looked smaller on picture.

1U is a great thing but there must be ways to make it quiet
2x120mm bottom fans would be enough for the entire case. So you wouldn't need much more fans. Blowing through the PSU into the case. Leaving the 40mm fan turned off.
2x120mm top could take the hot air out.

Every mm counts. In my mind this case could be 270x250x170mm that is quite a bit in the feeling of size.

Mostly rambling.Maybe because my dreambuild looks like this:
It's a Lian li Pc-q16:

ryxuqxH.png

While it is "competitive", EVGA isn't really a reputable case manufacturer like Silverstone, with questionable materials (SECC and glossy plastic). So in my opinion it is too expensive.

I'm not sure if you have a point, SG07/08 are also made with "questionable materials" - SECC and plastic

sure SG08 used a aluminium front panel, but that does not make it a aluminium case

Indeed but Silverstone has established it's name a long time ago while EVGA just entered the (case) market.

I'm not saying it's a bad case or anything like that, but I am questioning their reasoning behind some of their choices.

true, I agree that the case can be cheaper, but EVGA always position their products to hi-end and charge a premium. The price is not only set based on the cost but also on the positioning of the brand

Looks like it could use a filter in the base to reduce dust entry.

The top fans, by default, blow out and ambient air enters base though the holes matching case lid.

One way to stop me placing papers on top of case.

Tinkerer, you make a great point. One of the successes of the Silverstone cases is the focus on positive pressure and easy to remove fan filters. This case seems to be designed as a vacuum cleaner without the bag.

"Hadron"? Such an unfortunate name. That is going to get mistyped all over the internet. I foresee a meme soon. Maybe the nickname the "Lil Chub". :p

Lol, I was thinking the same thing, but have no plans of getting a Hardon :D

Can anyone identify this particular slimline SATA data/power cable that EVGA has listed w/Pana ODD under "optional accessories"? All Panasonic drives seem to ship bare, and the EVGA rep I spoke to didn't know what it was, or when/where I could get one (I've seen similar, but not unsleeved black)..

HADRON_Optical_lrg.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I rather have just power adapters and roll my own SATA data cable.

example 1

example 2

AFD, perhaps you can paint/marker/dye the red wire to black?

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
^^ Thanks guys. If I can't hunt hunt down that EVGA cable, I think I'll be okay with the Silverstone CP10, or maybe one of those slim to full-size adapters.

Might be OCD, but just wanted my SATA cables to match :D

I had high hopes for this. I feel it's a bit unfinished. Watch a few reviews to see what I mean.

I had high hopes for this. I feel it's a bit unfinished. Watch a few reviews to see what I mean.

Yeah ... even the SG05 seems to have a better paint job ...
Also the non-removeable HDD-tray is questionable

When they make these changes I'll buy...

...5 things I think they should have done, most importantly the 1st point.

1. Make some kind of side/bottom/front vent for the front of the case at least so it will be able to cool the GPU and cool some of the motherboard. Make the case a little bigger in length to allow for the 120mm fan or SILENT 92mm.

Also add venting at the back of the case instead of blocking it off to allow for air to flow through back and not just top?

2. Better paint job inside. Also the power button looks a bit cheap.

3. Allow the HDD to be removed if need be, people can use the slot loading drive for SSD (maybe include adapter?).

4. Allow 11inch graphics card to be inserted (maximum).

5. Finally sleeve the power supply and make proper adjustments to allow for decent cable management, maybe even modularity of the PSU. (Not as important as the rest)

Back