EVGA has the 280 on the site for Step Ups!

Meh i have until august to decide if i really want to stepup. My only real reason to upgrade is that i get MEGA-stuttering, none of that microstutter stuff (read: i get lockups) playing Age of Conan using SLI 9800GTX. So if i stepup, it'll be to a single gtx280 and the other 9800GTx will just get sold.

Meh i have until august to decide if i really want to stepup. My only real reason to upgrade is that i get MEGA-stuttering, none of that microstutter stuff (read: i get lockups) playing Age of Conan using SLI 9800GTX. So if i stepup, it'll be to a single gtx280 and the other 9800GTx will just get sold.

I hear you on the stuttering... I also get lock-ups every now and then with Crysis. I mean, it will freeze to the point where I think the game has crashed then all of a sudden it resumes playing.

I hear you on the stuttering... I also get lock-ups every now and then with Crysis. I mean, it will freeze to the point where I think the game has crashed then all of a sudden it resumes playing.

That is the exact issue i get in AoC. IT will hang, sometimes i can move the mouse, sometimes not, so i just take the opportunity to go get a beer or hit the head and by then i'm usually dead on the ground but the game isnt frozen anymore. I disabled SLI and am just dealing with the lower framerates now but at least i dont get lockups.

Hey russian, the corsair 750TX will be enough to handle 2 gtx280s right ;)

That is the exact issue i get in AoC. IT will hang, sometimes i can move the mouse, sometimes not, so i just take the opportunity to go get a beer or hit the head and by then i'm usually dead on the ground but the game isnt frozen anymore. I disabled SLI and am just dealing with the lower framerates now but at least i dont get lockups.

LOL That is the exact PSU I have! I sure hope it does, but I think it will without a problem.

Ya i bought it to run my quad 9800gx2 setup. Didnt have any issues with that setup. I just have to wonder if it will hold out with a q6600 at 3.6ghz, 2 gtx280s and 2 water loops. And the 13 fans :p

Doubtful, how many 8 pin connectors does it have? And how many rails?

Oh, I just noticed that he said (2) GTX 280s in SLI. Like Russian said, I really doubt it will be able to run it in SLI.

the 750tx has 4 6+2 pin cables and a single 60A 12v rail. I ran quad SLI 9800GX2 with it with no problems.

Well I moved up 2 spots on the waiting list. I'm now number 194, I guess thats what my ass gets for waking up at 1:00pm.

the 750tx has 4 6+2 pin cables and a single 60A 12v rail. I ran quad SLI 9800GX2 with it with no problems.

Here is the lowdown on these Videocards...

If you dont have 4 8 pin connectors like the corsair then you're probably in deep...

You're gonna need at least six 6-pin connectors or 2 8-pin and 2-6pin.

You're gonna need something like 40A and 550watts for one card and like 750 for a second. If you use the provided adapters for 6pin to 8pin then you will need a single rail PSU otherwise you can run into serious issues.

So the best thing to have is a single rail PSU with 8pin connectors or atleast a PSU with 2 8pin connectors. :D

Hey Talon, any progress at your queue? I'm still showing at #13

Still showing Waiting In Queue: #44.

I just uploaded a picture of my recept to the site. I don't know if I needed to or not, due to me buying it directly from them. :confused:

I am waiting to be told to pay up my 50 bucks via E-mail i believe... :)

I did receive a phone call at the house today, confirming they received my order for the waterblock, and that it would be shipping shortly.

Go EVGA!!

The 8600 GT is going to have to go back in my system for a few days... :eek: (Down-Shift!)

Here is the lowdown on these Videocards...

If you dont have 4 8 pin connectors like the corsair then you're probably in deep...

You're gonna need at least six 6-pin connectors or 2 8-pin and 2-6pin.

You're gonna need something like 40A and 550watts for one card and like 750 for a second. If you use the provided adapters for 6pin to 8pin then you will need a single rail PSU otherwise you can run into serious issues.

So the best thing to have is a single rail PSU with 8pin connectors or atleast a PSU with 2 8pin connectors. :D

Thanks for the info... ;)

I have 4 rails in my PSU. V3 and V4 are 36A each. I have a warning in my PSU manual that has a tip:

Please notice that when trying to connect more than one connector to a graphics card, it is strongly recomended to choose the connectors from exactly the same +12V rail.

I have nothing plugged into either rail except my GPU. I had considered connecting one of the 280's power plugs into the V3, and the other into the V4 to split the load, but after that caution, I will opt not to.

The 280 is going to have to feed off of (1) 36A rail all by itself.

I hope it is fine with that... The GX2 was.

Yeah im in the same boat as you guys are but just know that once you've uploaded them they will all be approved in a large lot.
Think there is any chance I will see my 280 this summer? Number 255 in queue:(
I have been checking the site for two days, no step-ups yet when I was last able to check at 6am this morning. Since I have to work from 7am to 3.30pm, I couldn't get my step-up in until 4pm today. So much for the early bird. Anyway, I'm glad to be on the list and looking forward to a proper sleep tonite:p

Ouch i am at 236. Well if this doesnt go through before my rma period ends and the 4870 comes out, i guess it will be rmaing time.
Any idea on how long it will take us 200+ sad peeps before we see the 280?

Hopefully Mr. Haxor will chime in and give us some insight. I did feel better when I saw his post about the step-ups being moved in large blocks. I guess it depends on how many cards EVGA actually has available to ship and how efficiently they can process the step-ups.

Damn, lets say for example, I was #300 in que for a stepup, but my step-up period ends june 25th. If I am still in que after my steup period ends, will I be denied a step up ?

The real situation for me is that I want to step-up to a gtx 260 next week. but my stepup period ends july 1st. I am afraid I might miss the oppportunity if there is a slow period in that 5 day gap.

anyone ?

Think there is any chance I will see my 280 this summer? Number 255 in queue:(
I have been checking the site for two days, no step-ups yet when I was last able to check at 6am this morning. Since I have to work from 7am to 3.30pm, I couldn't get my step-up in until 4pm today. So much for the early bird. Anyway, I'm glad to be on the list and looking forward to a proper sleep tonite:p

Well, considering that i wont be stepping up and that i got my notification and im #101 i would say that 250 wont be far off at all. I would expect you to see something within the next week depending on the shipments of cards if its a normal flow. Honestly though, i dont know when the next shipment is due so i cant give you an absolute date. But from my experience on launches you usually see queues move in large blocks once a week. Also, it looks like nobody has actually been approved yet, so thats why the queue hasnt moved but i can guarantee that it will move down one when i cancel mine. ;)

Damn, lets say for example, I was #300 in que for a stepup, but my step-up period ends june 25th. If I am still in que after my steup period ends, will I be denied a step up ?

The real situation for me is that I want to step-up to a gtx 260 next week. but my stepup period ends july 1st. I am afraid I might miss the oppportunity if there is a slow period in that 5 day gap.

anyone ?
Stepup works like this, once you're in the queue you can wait as long as it takes til you are #1. So the only date that really matters in stepup is that 90th day from original purchase. If you get in the queue before that, you're good to go. Most stepups usually are fulfilled and paid for way beyond the last day of stepup. 90 days is to enter the queue, but in reality it could be that you end up stepping up on the 120th day due to a long queue or something like that. So the answer is no, you wont be denied stepup as long as you are within a queue before the 90th day. :)

Yeah I have to wait until next week for the 260's....

I'm with you on that. I've got a 8800GTS 512. It would cost me close to $430 to step up to a 280. I think I will wait until the 260 is out and see what the price is on that one.

Well, considering that i wont be stepping up and that i got my notification and im #101 i would say that 250 wont be far off at all. I would expect you to see something within the next week depending on the shipments of cards if its a normal flow. Honestly though, i dont know when the next shipment is due so i cant give you an absolute date. But from my experience on launches you usually see queues move in large blocks once a week. Also, it looks like nobody has actually been approved yet, so thats why the queue hasnt moved but i can guarantee that it will move down one when i cancel mine. ;)
Lol:p
Thanks again for the information and good news. Shouldn't be too bad of a wait. Not that I am lacking any firepower now with an EVGA GX2:) But a new toy awaits.................

I'm with you on that. I've got a 8800GTS 512. It would cost me close to $430 to step up to a 280. I think I will wait until the 260 is out and see what the price is on that one.

Im pretty much in the same boat, i just dont think i can justify paying 430 compared to 160

I've been waiting to step up from my 9800GTX KO, however I didn't think prices were going to be as high as they are. I don't think I can rationalize 300 bucks to go to the GTX280...but I may do it anyway...I'm hoping prices will come down a bit within the next 32 days.

Step Up prices go by MSRP which does not /ever/ change, so even if 280 GTX prices dropped $200 in the next month you would still have to pay the same $300 to step up as you would to do so today.

Just a quick question since I am not familiar with the whole Step-up program:

When you step up, do you send your old card back and then pay the difference?

Just a quick question since I am not familiar with the whole Step-up program:

When you step up, do you send your old card back and then pay the difference?

You pay the difference ahead of time so there isnt wasted time clearing the charge/etc.

here are the steps.

Submit stepup on your my products page
Your turn to stepup email is sent and you have a product allocated for you
Upload Invoice on my products page
Submit Credit card info via email link sent to you
Send in card with all accessories
Get new card in return

I gotta say that evga did an amazing thing choosing to extend the step up to 120 days for gx2s. Big Props :).

I gotta say that evga did an amazing thing choosing to extend the step up to 120 days for gx2s. Big Props :).

Yeah, that was a great promotion and it really got alot of people into brand new 9800GX2s(haha i sound like a car salesman). But im sure that there are lots of GX2 owners who would like 120 days as well. It seems to be a never ending cycle of wanting longer stepups. :)

Lol i have moved up from 238 to 228 since yesterday. I sure hope what haxor said is true otherwise my 280 wont be here till 23 days from now at this pace.

Lol i have moved up from 238 to 228 since yesterday. I sure hope what haxor said is true otherwise my 280 wont be here till 23 days from now at this pace.

THats probably from people cancelling there order. I've been 5th in que since yesterday.

I guess my only question would be is it worth it for me to do the 280? I just bought this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130319 and really, it is very nice so far. I have 2 PCs, and I have an 8800 GTX in the other PC. I kinda wanted to have 2 "top of the line" cards, but I want to see a solid reason for the upgrade... It would be ~$436 (650-the 214 I paid) and that would be a lot of cash for me. Heck, I could get another and SLI them... I could buy 2 and go TRI-sli at that cost as their prices dropped. I have the corsair 750 ps and the EVGA i780 MB... Send me a PM if you have some info pls, I have some time to decide, but as the prices don't change... Maybe the 260 would be better anyway?

And, btw, I really kinda hate the fact that if I paid for an overclocked card to begin with that I can't step-up to another OC'd card... pretty lame, imho.

Urg that sucks then sky. Well at least i will be in queu while waiting on the 4870. By Mid-July, i have 2 options: get the stepup if my turn is up for $140 extra or rma this 9800gx2 at newegg and get the 4870 and get $100 back (save $240 total in comparison with going with the 280gtx route).

Did the request for GTX280 stepup but i smell something fishy with the request as it was only 580 Euro and not the expected 650 Euro so the decision over that 12 Euro +shipping for GTX280 was even easyer if i did it right.

It's OK boy's. Im #44 but thinking to myself that the production runs are only going to get better on the 280's.

We might not want the first ones out the door? ;)
We need to look for the sunshine in the situaction.

(I'm sure they are all fine...)

I just am going to have to run my GX2 a bit longer.

I like mature GPU production runs myself.

Either a lot of people cancelled their step-up or evga had a massive output, i went to 153 just now... woot

Gasp...
I received an E-mail confirming my uploaded invoice has been verified, and to let me know to pay at the web site.

Under 'View/Edit My Products' it had the option to pay.

I just did, and now I am in 'verifying transaction' status.. :D

Next step is an E-mail with instructions for sending the product in...

Hang on... Here we gooooo!! :cool:

Update: Instructions received. Shipping GX2 in the AM.

Back