EVGA GTX 780 6GB and GTX 780 Ti 6GB

So is Maxwell not coming out until 2015 or possibly late 2014? I was hoping it would come out Sept/Oct.

It sounds like what you're doing is combining MSAA with FXAA. FXAA doesn't use VRAM, so you won't use any more VRAM than the MSAA portion alone would.
Ahaa! It's the supersampling transparency option. I didn't think that was gonna be free but I didn't realize how big of a deal it was. It looks nice in this particular application, though... and since I really am kinda overdoing it here, even at 120Hz, I just kinda set this up so that it just barely can hold 120... and dips to 100 sometimes.

I've been waiting for 1440p, though. And I suspect it will be a bit of a trade off as far as stair step effect and what I can do as far as upscaling older games. I wouldn't be surprised if I end up feeling like I do want 6GB of shared ram instead of 3 once the ROG Swift comes out... I'm hoping they don't make it 1000 dollars.

What the hell, I signed up!

I just bought a 780 GTX FTW (ACX), but I am really interested to see the new 780Ti 6GB.

:D

I don't wanna sound like a newb, but what major advantage of having 6gb vs 3gb? 5-10 more fps? Or is it more for longevity purposes?

Few reasons someone might want one:

1) Modding games like Skyrim. Some games you can dump in some mods that chomp up serious amounts of VRAM. While it takes some doing to exceed 3GB, it is doable.

2) Higher rez setups. If you start going nuts with multiple monitors or the like, the VRAM usage starts to go up. If you need more than you have, performance takes a big hit as system RAM is used over the comparatively slow PCIe bus.

3) New titles may start to want more VRAM. The Xboner and PS3 both have like 5-6GB of RAM free for games (the rest is for their OS). Now that is unified RAM, graphics and other stuff, but it still means there's a lot of room for textures in memory. Game devs will start using this, and on the PC you'll want VRAM on you card to keep up, particularly if you do run at a higher rez.

All in all it probably isn't that useful to most people, but then again it looks like it doesn't cost that much. If the $550 price point is right that's about a $50 premium over a normal eVGA 780. So it is the kind of thing people might say "Why not?" and spend a bit extra on.

Back