EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti SC+ coil whine

kenpomasta

Gawd
I just bought a EVGA 980 ti SC+ and it has a very annoying coil whine to it. Im very disappointed after spending $670 on it, to have an issue with it. Never had an issue with my 980s :( I thought nvidia had fixed it, but guess not.

Also very disappointed with EVGA, they dont want to RMA it and they suggested that I return it Newegg instead. Guess I made the mistake of buying the EVGA card. Dont think Ill make that mistake again.

EVGA doesn't want to RMA it, but if it's in the 30 day purchase window, don't they always say return to newegg? It would be better anyway, as newegg will give you a new one instead of a possible refurb, iirc. I don't have coil whine on mine, and my suspicion is that a lot of coil whine is caused by PSUs (how they interact with the video card), might want to test another one.

Last edited:
My non SC ACX 2.0+ has coil whine too, but I only notice it when I'm benchmarking it hard. I'm debating whether I want to return it or not.

I'm in the same boat with my ACX 2.0, the coil whine is very high pitched and is louder then the fans under load. I game on a monitor at 96hz and at that refresh rate every game experiences whine. Continuing the RMA process tomorrow, first reply to my support ticket said that coil whine is normal and to be expected... I dont think so evga. Also tested using a corsair tx850w and a seasonic G 650w, same exact whine with both psu's.

Last edited:
This is why I've stopped buying EVGA. No matter how good their customer service is, their products are usually mostly reference parts and their custom fans suck compared to ASUS, MSI and Gigabyte.

Coil whine does happen but you can definitely see variation in its severity across brands and types of chokes used.

I don't have coil whine on my card, so i wonder if devill22 is right, that it might be somehow PSU related. When does the coil whine start, in game menus and loading screens at very high FPS, or just under any heavy load?

Last edited:
Coil whine is annoying but if it only happens during benchmarking, I can deal with it. I would never RMA a card just for that. Total waste imo.

ONe advantage of having some hearing damage after decades of life, is missing high frequency sounds.

I also acquired tinnitus decades ago so am always enjoying a high pitched naturally generated head whine.
I wonder what frequency range this 'whine' is you all are hearing. 14,000 hertz plus perhaps?

If it is above 13k a lot of us won't even notice, well people like me anyways.

I remember back when TV's had tubes and it wasn't uncommon to hear high freqency flyback transformer whine. We were too enthralled back then by re-runs of Gilligans Island and the original
Batman TV series to care.

Also, one had to stay back at least 10 feet from the blistering x--rays beaming from the giant
cathode ray tube you were staring at for hours on end. If ya didn't you would end up radiated and roasted. So, we didn't hear that whine noise as we were so far away from the TV set.

True story.

I'm in the same boat with my ACX 2.0, the coil whine is very high pitched and is louder then the fans under load. I game on a monitor at 96hz and at that refresh rate every game experiences whine. Continuing the RMA process tomorrow, first reply to my support ticket said that coil whine is normal and to be expected... I dont think so evga. Also tested using a corsair tx850w and a seasonic G 650w, same exact whine with both psu's.

Update: After talking to evga support some more today my RMA was accepted, and they gave me a complementary return shipping label. This is my first evga product and I must say I'm really impressed with their support.

Hopefully the next card fairs better, I'm getting noticeable coil whine just moving the mouse around on the desktop, let alone the ear piercing screech I get while in game. Out of the 10 or so gpu's I've owned over the years, the whine on this card is the worst. On the plus side it was a fairly good oc'er boosted to 1465mhz stock voltage, but I would rather give up a few mhz for a quite card.

Last edited:
Are you 100% sure the whine always comes from the card?
Some may be coming through your sound system, worth a check.

I've got an SC+ ACX 2.0+ on the way, fingers crossed.

Coil whine happens with every manufacturer. It seems to be one of those things nobody has figured out how to stamp out entirely.

Maybe I'm lucky... maybe I'm deaf... but, I've noticed zero coil whine or any unpleasant noise from my two-week old 980 Ti (SC+ ACX 2.0+).

And, it games like a mutha even at 4K. :cool:

Coil whine happens with every manufacturer. It seems to be one of those things nobody has figured out how to stamp out entirely.

On the more modern GPUs, there arn't even coil wound components on the GPU anymore, so wtf is making the noise on these 900 series?

Is it these now?

vrm.jpg

GTX-670-TOP-12.png

On the more modern GPUs, there arn't even coil wound components on the GPU anymore, so wtf is making the noise on these 900 series?

Is it these now?

GTX-670-TOP-12.png

The parts still vibrate, they just vibrate less than they would have vibrated without being filled.

Yep. I've experienced it with EVGA, MSI and Gigabyte. I'm quite certain it's a thing with Asus as well.

I wouldn't let coil whine sway me to or from one brand over another.

Precisely.

The only time to be cautious is when only one mfr of a custom card (not just a custom cooler) has many people complaining. AND there are very few complaints about other mfrs cards.
That would indicate there are a bad batch of coils or a manufacturing/design issue for a particular board at one mfr.

(mfing/design because how coils are mounted or the frequencies they are exposed to can make a problem surface that otherwise wouldnt occur. I dont recall this happening with gfx cards but it is a consideration)

Back