eVGA falling further behind :D

Amdgamer,

I believe it’s really more of ATI/AMD fault for the slower folding on their gpu's. I know this will get me flamed but the ATI/AMD gpu's have more theoretical folding power but ATI/AMD do not have a decent staff to program drivers to take advantage of the power they have available to include all software. My example is the current review on this site of sli/crossfire. A simple rewrite of a driver made a measureable performance difference in the crossfire setups. A 5970 still is the most powerful card available in theory but ATI/AMD need to get on board with their drivers.

BTW I am folding on NVidia cards due to the better ppd versus ATI/AMD. Kyle is really helping us out by posting these reviews because it forces ATI/AMD to update to some better drivers. I just wish Kyle would have added the difference in ppd between the two in the folding arena to force ATI/AMD to focus writing drivers for their cards to be more competitive.
 
Amdgamer,

I believe it’s really more of ATI/AMD fault for the slower folding on their gpu's. I know this will get me flamed but the ATI/AMD gpu's have more theoretical folding power but ATI/AMD do not have a decent staff to program drivers to take advantage of the power they have available to include all software. My example is the current review on this site of sli/crossfire. A simple rewrite of a driver made a measureable performance difference in the crossfire setups. A 5970 still is the most powerful card available in theory but ATI/AMD need to get on board with their drivers.

BTW I am folding on NVidia cards due to the better ppd versus ATI/AMD. Kyle is really helping us out by posting these reviews because it forces ATI/AMD to update to some better drivers. I just wish Kyle would have added the difference in ppd between the two in the folding arena to force ATI/AMD to focus writing drivers for their cards to be more competitive.

Drivers have NOTHING to do with the poor performance of ATI cards in folding.
 
rouge, nits nothing with drivers......nVidia cards have CUDA which is what F@H uses.....as of now there is no decent Open CL support for Folding which is guess what? What ATI/AmD uses, it has jack shit to do with driver support.
 
Is'nt it also to do with the way the ATI shaders are made vs the NV shaders? I seem to recal something like 5 ATI shaders to one NV shader, and the GPU core is designed more towards how NV chose to build their cards rather than the direction ATI pursued
 
honetsly ati users are better off doing bionic or another dc project that supports ati's. they make full use of the cards and they rip. folding isnt there yet and ati updates so often that it seems stanford cannot compile code fast enough. i do believe they are getting close now but still a ways away.

if you want to fold thats fine but your only seeing about 40% of the card potential and your cpu usage will be somewhat high.

if open cl would become a priority for either company it could get done sooner. nvidia's is broken and ati's is far from optomized. neither is in a hurry as nothing out there really suports it yet.
 
Really I dont care why at this point.

ATI cards suck at folding period. I wish I could sell it on CL for a decent price so I could get a couple of GTX 460s.
 
You might pull a decent price if you sell In the large FS/FT forum, they are good for gaming, but no one in this subforum will buy them lol
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
I really wish AMD/ATI would support F@H development the way nvidia has. I know it's not the way ATI has done buisness in the past, but they are really loosing out on quite a large number of sales because F@H doesn't work well with their cards.

Just look at the huge number of upgrades we've seen and EVGA has seen in the past three months..spending a small amount of money to employ 1-2 developers for a few months would easily pay for itself many times over.
 
I'm actually looking into buying an ATI card for my SR-2 rig so that I won't be tempted to fold with it, but I can still game.
That's actually a very good idea. Ati cards are great for games, no question about that.
 
At this point the OpenCL support AMD cards isn't that mature anyway, so I very much doubt you could get a F@H client running on it reliably. I'd gladly be proven wrong, of course :)
 
I know it's not the way ATI has done buisness in the past, but they are really loosing out on quite a large number of sales because F@H doesn't work well with their cards.

a few thousand cards might sound like large numbers to you, but its a drop in the bucket when compared to their mainstream and OEM sales. the number of people that consider the performance of folding@home when choosing to buy their next video card is very small.
 
a few thousand cards might sound like large numbers to you, but its a drop in the bucket when compared to their mainstream and OEM sales. the number of people that consider the performance of folding@home when choosing to buy their next video card is very small.

F@H fanatics do often pick the more high-end cards, though, so I wouldn't underestimate it like that. Sometimes I think that only folders got 9800GX2 and GTX295 cards :D
 
Back
Top