EVGA & Excessive Canaidan Shipping?

Ragenrok

Supreme [H]ardness
Ok, well I was browsing the NCIX forums and noticed this thread.

http://forum.ncix.com/forums/index.php?mode=showthread&forum=116&threadid=1497436&pagenumber=1&msgcount=14&subpage=1

It seems EVGA is charging canadians $45 to ship RMA items back to the customer which is bogus since its an RMA item and isn't suppost to be charged any border fee's or anything like that.

It only costs us $15-$20 to ship from canada to them and should only cost about $20 to ship back with USPS so I have no idea why they are charging us $45. Its a shame to cause I have been using EVGA for my video cards for a while now but I think im gonna have to go XFX now :(

That seems rather harsh to me. I absolutely hate what most companies are getting away with on (return for repair) items under warranty. I recently had to return a new Sony DVD-RW which I purchased a month earlier, for one of my customers from TigerDirect, Since it was right at the end of the first month, I had to deal directly with Sony. Well after holding for what seems like an eternity on the phone (time wasted), I was given an RMA. I had to buy a box (expense) to package their defective drive. Drive to UPS (more gasoline and time wasted) and PAY (yet, more expense) to ship it back. All this for a drive which I paid for initially, and which was well under warranty. Remember when companies picked up the tab for inconvieniencing you with a defective product. I'm starting to believe that no one is looking out for consumer's rights. I have an EVGA 8800GTS-640. I found out recently... (and I have to verify)...that to qualify for the step-up program...The customer has to have retained the original boxe which your videocard came packaged in. I hope this is NOT true. If it is, then a note to that effect should be in the literature that is included in the box.

$45 is JUST the shipping fee. Once it hits the border, you also pay FedEx brokerage, then PST and 6.8% duties to the gov't.

That seems rather harsh to me. I absolutely hate what most companies are getting away with on (return for repair) items under warranty. I recently had to return a new Sony DVD-RW which I purchased a month earlier, for one of my customers from TigerDirect, Since it was right at the end of the first month, I had to deal directly with Sony. Well after holding for what seems like an eternity on the phone (time wasted), I was given an RMA. I had to buy a box (expense) to package their defective drive. Drive to UPS (more gasoline and time wasted) and PAY (yet, more expense) to ship it back. All this for a drive which I paid for initially, and which was well under warranty. Remember when companies picked up the tab for inconvieniencing you with a defective product. I'm starting to believe that no one is looking out for consumer's rights. I have an EVGA 8800GTS-640. I found out recently... (and I have to verify)...that to qualify for the step-up program...The customer has to have retained the original boxe which your videocard came packaged in. I hope this is NOT true. If it is, then a note to that effect should be in the literature that is included in the box.

I didn't need my original box when I stepped up my 7900 to the 8800. I cross-shipped the step-up, and when the 8800 arrived, I just shipped the 7900 back in the exact same box and packaging. The ONLY rules I am aware of with step up: It can't have custom mods (if you put a custom cooler on it, put the stock one back one before you ship it back), and it must not have any physical defects (if you broke something off of the card, you are SOL).

This may have changed of course, but I did my step up less than a year ago (in July).

I agree with you. It's ridiculous that we have to pay the charges back on a defective card. At least Western Digital has it all right with Warranty. They ship you the replacement BEFORE you send it out and pay for shipping as well. Now that is customer service.

Everyone,

We are currently working towards real time pricing from Fedex who so far has done a good job of delivering packages on time to our Canada cusotmers.

This is going to be implemented over the next week or so and you will get real time pricing.

For some the cost will be better, for others the cost will be more, but we are working towards a solution this week.

Thank you and I welcome feedback to my email address: [email protected]

Joe Darwin

Everyone,

We are currently working towards real time pricing from Fedex who so far has done a good job of delivering packages on time to our Canada cusotmers.

This is going to be implemented over the next week or so and you will get real time pricing.

For some the cost will be better, for others the cost will be more, but we are working towards a solution this week.

Joe Darwin

Joe,

This question is kind of tangential to this topic, but I was wondering...

A few weeks ago, I ordered a vanilla 8800GT from the EVGA website and I was offered UPS two-day shipping for around 20 USD, which I thought was a fairly decent deal for two-day shipping from CA to NJ.

I just ordered an 8800 GT SSC last Thursday and although the ground shipping was very reasonable at around 9 USD, the next step up was UPS 3-day select for around 48 USD, second day for around 70 USD and next day over 100 USD.

These U.S. shipping charges have only recently become inflated. Did you have a business relationship for special shipping charges that has suddenly become dissolved? Or were you subsidizing some shipping charges and have now decided not to do so? Or both?

yeah this concerns me also, i have bought 4 evga cards in the last year and if they continue with this i will stop buying there.
Shipping a card from the us to here is easy and if they use ups express its not expensive and includes all brokerage charges etc.
If they use usps its the same only cheaper. There is absolutely no reason to charge any Canadian more than 20 bucks in shipping for express.
I get stuff sent from the us all the time for 10 to 20 bucks so 45 dollars is a complete and utter scam by Evga or the company they are dealing with.

Speak with your dollars boys don't put up with this kind of crap.

Everyone,

Joe Darwin

well you can feed me that all you want but I don't care what you say, $45 to ship a RMA back to someone in canada, but to ship to you only costs us $15, your just scamming us and you know it so that fine its your choice but im not going to be buying any more evga products and eaither will any of the people I order alot of parts for. Its all I can do when I know that all you guys are doing is taking advantage of people.

Well before you start huffing and puffing you might take into consideration that this is HAPPENING FOR A REASON. Do you really thing EVGA wants to charge exorbitant shipping fees just to gain more customers? Of course they don't.

We have sold Ratpadz for many years now. At one point we cut all of our Canadian customers off because of all the shipping issues we had. Tremendous over charges on shipping, taxes, etc. We finally just stopped shipping any of it on our dime, cut everyone off, and sternly warned any company shipping to the North may get very expensive and we did not want to have any correlation with charges since it was out of our hands.

So if you think EVGA is "out to scam you," you might think differently. As always, vote with your wallet and if you think there is a better deal out there, take it. But creating threads about EVGA "scamming" you is simply out of line.

Everyone,

I appreicate your feedback and look forward to working wtih each of you directly if you have concerns about our shipping cost. We pull real time data from both Fed-Ex (Internation) and UPS (USA).

I am watching this thread and also welcome your emails directly to my email at [email protected] to assist you.

EVGA is not here to SCAM customers, this is just the cost of doing business on the rates that we get passed to to the consumer. As I stated earlier, we are working with our real time rates and if you see an issue I want to help get a resolution.

Thank you
Joe Darwin
[email protected]
714-528-4500 x118

What I don't understand thought kyle is that its a RMA so there shouldn't be duties and stuff like that.

And my point is because YOU don't understand something is no reason to start making accusations of illegal actions or something that is otherwise underhanded. Shipping consistently inexpensively to Canada is damn near an impossibility. Talk to the shipping companies and the Canadian Customs Officials that seem to want to rape anyone that they can, and once your package is at the border you have very little leverage.

I can assure you that EVGA is trying to address a cost associated with Canadian shipping. It is a PITA.

Ogilvy,

If you can email me directly with your zip code and what you where looking to purchase with the price you saw before and what you see now. I know that we did have a UPS rate increase a little while ago and fuel surcharge, but I dont think this would reflect in a big way on a 1 card purchase.

I look forward to hearing from you so I can try and track down the issue that the users are seeing here.

Thanks
Joe Darwin
[email protected]

Why can Mwave, New Egg, ZipZoom, etc. offer very competitive U.S. shipping rates, and all of a sudden evga can't?

Then the answer is simple, DO NOT BUY from a company that does not offer the terms you agree with.

You should be like Newegg. Newegg rocks, if a product is defective or DOA, they pay to ship it back to them. That is the correct way. I know from a business standpoint, you lose money doing it this way, but you also gain customers and have more repeat customers by having this sort of policy. And alternatively, charging to ship back a defective item costs you customers and gives you a bad reputation.

You have to ask yourself a couple of questions, would you ship back a $100 item when you have already paid $20 to ship it to yourself and then pay another $20, or Canada's case, $50, to ship it back because it's defective? And then, would you ever buy from someone again who has such a policy? Lastly, how many people would you tell not to buy from said company for the same reason?

I recently had to RMA a HD that went bad in a dell laptop. They shipped the HD with a return sticker paid. Now thats good RMA service!!!!

does the canadian dollar inflating 20% in the last quarter have anything to do with this?

I didn't even see this $45 fee until you register a product and have to submit an RMA.

It's not clear on their website and I don't see any mention of $45. Not impressed at all

I know that we did have a UPS rate increase a little while ago and fuel surcharge, but I dont think this would reflect in a big way on a 1 card purchase.

UPS went up $3.50 on every package outside of a 3 mile radius of a UPS hub

Doesn't matter if your shipping a napkin or a set of big block chevy heads

If your located 3 miles away your getting hit with the surcharge

Ogilvy,

If you can email me directly with your zip code and what you where looking to purchase with the price you saw before and what you see now. I know that we did have a UPS rate increase a little while ago and fuel surcharge, but I dont think this would reflect in a big way on a 1 card purchase.

I look forward to hearing from you so I can try and track down the issue that the users are seeing here.

Thanks
Joe Darwin
[email protected]

I mean, the deal's already done Joe. I bought the second card, just as I bought the first, and paid for the ground shipping. I didn't have a problem with that. I just found it curious that the shipping prices went up by that much over the course of a few weeks.

I don't think anything less of evga, but I all but assumed that
big companies had special deals arranged with shippers like UPS and FedEx.

I guess I was wondering why the change to these "real-time" shipping quotes. If it something that can't be discussed for whatever reason, i'm not going to press it. I just
found it curious, that's all.

UPS went up $3.50 on every package outside of a 3 mile radius of a UPS hub

Doesn't matter if your shipping a napkin or a set of big block chevy heads

If your located 3 miles away your getting hit with the surcharge

That's not the price increase I was talking about. Three weeks ago, I got two-day UPS shipping from evga.com for 20 bucks.

I bought another video card from evga.com this thursday passed, the same 8800 GT, and two-day shipping was offered for 70 bucks.

That's not a fuel surcharge. Either they were subsidizing their shipping with UPS, or they dissolved a business relationship with UPS that allowed them to offer a much lower shipping rate. Or....well. I don't know.

The last "or" is the real topic of debate, eh?

I mean, the deal's already done Joe. I bought the second card, just as I bought the first, and paid for the ground shipping. I didn't have a problem with that. I just found it curious that the shipping prices went up by that much over the course of a few weeks.

You do realize that oil is almost $100 a barrel?

Oh, and that is without the barrel :D

Well I was actually gonna buy an eVGA 8800GT (and waited about 2 weeks for it to be in stock, etc. instead of buying other brands mostly for the step-up and warranty) but today I got fed up after my current card started giving me artifacts even while booting so I bought a damn XFX 8800GT for $250 + like 20 bucks for 2 day delivery. Honestly, I was even willing to pay the 300 bucks for an eVGA version, but I couldn't even find that in stock anywhere in Canada for 2 weeks now...plus knowing I'd have to pay for shipping for RMA or step-up kinda killed the deal for me. XFX has a lifetime warranty too so really I'll just miss out on the step-up...but since NVIDIA's only releasing mid-range cards in June/July anyway, it won't matter.

Sorry eVGA, I really admire the step-up program, but I would have ended up paying way too much in the end. (50 bucks for nothing + shipping if I need it)

Being a Canadian, buying things from the US has always been a problem. Kyle is right, you get ripped from the carrier, from the border and from crooked importers. There is NOTHING that can be done about it. If you don't like it drive across the boarder and get the item you self. If I want something my parents when they are down south can order what ever I want and bring it back with them, because they rarely bring anything home so there is no duty. They declare it.

You have to play the system. Its the only way you are going to get the best rate. You need to be tricky, but keep within the rules. We will always be at the mercy of the US buying power and carriers. I am just happy that we can still get decent shipping from larger companies like HP and Dell.

My friend has the exact same problem where eVGA is charging $45 for shipping.

We ALL know that shipping from eVGA to Canada is ~$20, $45 would be something like next-day shipping. I had to RMA before, and they used USPS to avoid those messed up fees like brokerage and all those crap, and in the end, they charged me $20.

I didn't really mind paying an extra $5 for what it actually costs them to ship, because it said $13.80USD on the parcel...

But now, their just..GAY.

I wasn't quoting you

I was just pointing out the surcharge amount UPS added on in general

But you must've read what Joe from Evga said in response to my query about the fifty dollar rate jump in two-day shipping.

You seemed to co-sign what he was saying. And I don't doubt there was a UPS rate increase.

That doesn't explain a fifty-dollar discrepancy.

And in reference to Kyle's assertion that I should buy elsewhere if I don't agree with the shipping charges. It's not a question of me wanting to buy elsewhere, I don't have a single beef with EVGA about it's shipping charges or anything else. Business models change for whatever reason and I accept that. I just wanted to know why they went up so much over such a short period of time.

If i'm not privy to that info, that's fine.

$45 is JUST the shipping fee. Once it hits the border, you also pay FedEx brokerage, then PST and 6.8% duties to the gov't.

This is 100% true. I was just responsible for shipping 3 truckloads of goods into canada, valued at about $250,000. Needless to say the GST charge was about $14k altogether. That wasn't including the brokerage fee to clear customs.

I am unsure if many of you have bought or sold items on eBay, and I assume most don't understand shipping fees. I have an eBay account and have been selling items on there for about three years now. Shipping costs always fluctuate, especially when nearing the Holiday season.

Just recently I had to stop offering shipping outside the US, and even outside the lower 48 states due to shipping costs. It becomes a hassle having to ship something out of the US because of custom forms and extra fees. Worse off is shipping to Hawaii and Alaska as on average the costs are anywhere from two to three times as much as shipping state-to-state. Because shipping fees change often, I'd have to pay extra if someone is purchasing an item from me and lives out of state sometimes.

And, let's not forget gas prices and rise in healthcare costs, that even two variables can affect a dozen or hundreds of other factors. Stamps from USPS have been $0.41 USD for quite some time now and I wish they were lower. Sooner or later they will probably hit $0.50 and in the future, $1.00. It gets ridiculous.

When the EVGA representative mentioned real time pricing coming from the shipping carrier, he isn't lying. eBay implements a similar process when you post an item for sale. For example, I once shipped a Klipsch 5.1 Speaker System to New Jersey about five months ago. The shipping came to about $65.00. I had 4 eBay-ers e-mail me asking me for approximated shipping to Canada, Australia, and Singapore. The $65 from CA to NJ went up to $110 for Canada, $300 to Australia, and close to $500 to Singapore. Now, the responses I got varied and were similar to the posts in this thread. I had to go so far to e-mail them screenshots of the shipping estimator from both eBay and the websites of USPS, FedEx, and UPS to prove that I wasn't lying.

EVGA isn't scamming you, blame the customs and imports policy in your country. Blame the shipping carriers who can never keep a set rate. Shipping carriers have to pay for fuel, taxes, custom fees, their employees and so many other variables. It's not easy to keep the shipping rates low. And, various companies do not pay for the shipping on RMA items because it gets too costly. So, they have no other choice but to pass the costs to the consumer, even if it is a huge amount. Not every company will pay for shipping on returned/RMA items. If you can't understand that or understand that the company is trying to save some extra money here and there, then you should take a crash course in Economics.

The whole point is that this shipping issue is a big misunderstanding of how shipping fees and imports work.

I always keep this rule of thumb when selling an item on eBay:
  • If outside the lower 48 states, the farther the person is, the higher the shipping costs.

Not every company will pay for shipping on returned/RMA items. If you can't understand that or understand that the company is trying to save some extra money here and there, then you should take a crash course in Economics.

The whole point is that this shipping issue is a big misunderstanding of how shipping fees and imports work.

My company will NOT pay for shipping to get the RMA'd item to us. We do however, pick up the tab going back to the consumer. It's costly. But we have happy people.

I can see why a company would choose to pass that cost on however.

Every company will charge what they need to make a profit. Or to keep from losing money.

Thats just how it is.

As someone who ships big things and little things to Canada, Puerto Rico and overseas, I can tell you that shipping anything over a border is a huge PITA.

Talk to the shipping companies and the Canadian Customs Officials that seem to want to rape anyone that they can, and once your package is at the border you have very little leverage.

You should see what it cost the company I work for to ship a 3.5 ton water heater to Manitoba.

EVGA is one of the smartest computer hardware companies I can think of. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be shafting the Canadians if they didn't have too.

Cross border shipping has always been a HUGE scam, not by the companies you ship to and from, but by the courier / delivery companies that take care of it, if you want to do UPS / FEDEX cross border,they charge you a $40 fee? wtf, I know I Can ship a whole box to florida for less then $40 insured using canada post / usps, just ups / fedex that charge an arm and a leg. ^^ don't blame EVGA, blame the company thats doing their shipping

Can't EVGA use usps to ship to canada? the border fee is only $5 if they check ur package vs w/e UPS / FEDEX charges.

Go to ups.com there express shipping includes all brokerage fee's etc so thats not the issue.
The issue is if ups or whoever they ship with has increased shipping twofold in 2 weeks.
Its either yes they have or no they havent.
If they havent then Evga is making some extra money at our expense, if they have then have a option to ship usps, pretty simple.
I just got a video camera from hong kong for 14 bucks express shipping...including brokerage.
I have ahard time believing that magically a 3 pound video card costs almost 3 times what it used to to ship to Canada.
And again "Brokerage etc" IS NOT A ISSUE...its included in ups, fedex and the other companys charges as long as it isnt shipped standard.

I'm not sure why Kyle hasn't changed the title of the thread, this is far from a "scam" or a company trying to "swindle" the customer in terms of shipping costs.

I hope you guys realize that this is a result of FLAT RATE shipping and the new system will be based on how far away you live from EVGA rather than the flat rate. Some may pay more than others depending on where they live in canada.

Back