• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

eVGA Copper Heat Sink

Shorty

Gawd
Joined
Aug 5, 2003
Messages
791
I had won a Copper Heat Sink from eVGA a few days ago. Sent them my information, and UPS decided to surprise me at around 7:00. In the package was a box including the very beautiful and heavy copper heatsink, a congratulation letter from eVGA, instructions for installation, and a thermal paste guide. Tomorrow I will probably install the thing, as it's way to late to do it.

http://www.blackadam.com/misc/copper01.jpg
http://www.blackadam.com/misc/copper02.jpg
 
If only mine would get here... I hope it's in tomorrow, as classes, work, and a wedding will otherwise push it into next week.
 
Shorty said:
I had won a Copper Heat Sink from eVGA a few days ago. Sent them my information, and UPS decided to surprise me at around 7:00. In the package was a box including the very beautiful and heavy copper heatsink, a congratulation letter from eVGA, instructions for installation, and a thermal paste guide. Tomorrow I will probably install the thing, as it's way to late to do it.

That's sweet.

I wanna see close up pics when you get her on there. :cool:
 
Gundamit said:
Since EVGA is selling these I started a thread on this cooler here.

Nice, maybe i'll buy one. Still waiting for shorty to post what kinda temps he's getting with it installed =).
 
Yeah, you guys can probably expect my results at around 5:00~6:00 Pacific. I have school until 2:30 and will probably start right after I get home, unless I end up hanging out with friends after school. It shoudn't take that long to do it speaking that I have experience from taking the thing apart to add AS5 before.
 
Installation was fairly easy due to having previous experience with disassembling the unit. It took me about 20 minutes, and the only reason it took that long was because I was a perfectionist getting rid of the old AS5 and using Goo Gone and Alcohol.

http://www.blackadam.com/misc/copper03.jpg
http://www.blackadam.com/misc/copper04.jpg
http://www.blackadam.com/misc/copper05.jpg

To test idle temps, I allowed a 10 minute idle at the desktop and recorded the temperature. To test load temps, I allowed a 20 minute full screen run of Rthdribl. These are my temperature changes, and I am pleased:

Aluminum (AS5)
Idle Core: 58 C
Idle Ambient: 37 C
Load Core: 91 C
Load Ambient: 59 C

Copper (AS5)
Idle Core: 54 C
Idle Ambient: 35 C
Load Core: 81 C
Load Ambient: 55 C
 
Very nice temp changes. Almost exactly the %'s shown on evga's own website, seems worthwhile.
 
nice temp difference. the reference cooler should've had the copper block from the start :p.
 
Those Al temps look like what I'm getting currently (stock cooler) so I'm hoping I get the same results you are. I'm just going to use the standard thermal material that comes with the new heatsink though... I don't OC, so I'm not planning on using AS5. Besides, I'm just looking to cut the temp down from the 90's, so anything I can get at this point is an improvement. ;)

Hopefully it'll get here tomorrow - I work Friday.
 
One thing to note is all of my temperatures are with the card overclocked to 415MHz core and 1120MHz memory.
 
Yah, ok. You had me wondering about that. I'm at 401/1100 and I rarely see above 80C. I was wondering about your temps >90.
 
Shorty said:
Installation was fairly easy due to having previous experience with disassembling the unit. It took me about 20 minutes, and the only reason it took that long was because I was a perfectionist getting rid of the old AS5 and using Goo Gone and Alcohol.

http://www.blackadam.com/misc/copper03.jpg
http://www.blackadam.com/misc/copper04.jpg
http://www.blackadam.com/misc/copper05.jpg

To test idle temps, I allowed a 10 minute idle at the desktop and recorded the temperature. To test load temps, I allowed a 20 minute full screen run of Rthdribl. These are my temperature changes, and I am pleased:

Aluminum (AS5)
Idle Core: 58 C
Idle Ambient: 37 C
Load Core: 91 C
Load Ambient: 59 C

Copper (AS5)
Idle Core: 54 C
Idle Ambient: 35 C
Load Core: 81 C
Load Ambient: 55 C


What size screwdriver did you use?
 
Kevin Lowe said:
Those Al temps look like what I'm getting currently (stock cooler) so I'm hoping I get the same results you are. I'm just going to use the standard thermal material that comes with the new heatsink though... I don't OC, so I'm not planning on using AS5. Besides, I'm just looking to cut the temp down from the 90's, so anything I can get at this point is an improvement. ;)

Hopefully it'll get here tomorrow - I work Friday.


what i did to drop my temps by a good deal was to take off the PCI slot cover thats under the videocard. this lets the card breathe "fresh" air straight to it. made a big difference for me. heres my before and after temps.
before removal of slot cover:
idle core: 66C
idle ambient: 45C
load core: 89-90C
load ambient: 48C

after removal of slot cover:
idle core:59C
idle ambient:40C
load core: 79-80C
load ambient: 43-44C

results may vary depending on room temperature. but this little trick has helped quite a bit for me. hope it helps other people as much :D

PS: this is overclocked at 401/1100
 
Well, it's installed - came pre-greased and ready to rock. The installation wasn't bad either - just had to get the core cleaned up and tension the spring screws properly.

I dropped about 4 C at idle (from 66 to 62) and 7C at load (89 to 82).

Not a massive improvement, but what the hell, it was free.
 
Back
Top