Evga classified smoke

BETA.

2[H]4U
I was using my PC and it blue screened, I changed some settings via bios and restarted then the PC just shut down. Heard some sort of pop and smelled smoke. I immediately suspected power supply, but the indicator light still lights up but red. Whenever I unplug the power cord to the PSU and replug then hit the power button for a split second my case fans and CPU fan run and smoke appears from this part of the mobo. I have already contacted EVGA and awating a reply. The lights and everything else works on the mobo. Any idea wtf happened? Would any other hardware be compromised? I did have my PC OC'ed to 4.4 ghz with 1.35v and ram voltage @ 1.65v with VTT @ +0mv CPU PLL @ 1.275v and everything else at their lowest voltage values. I don't see how anything should have been fried.
YwC1B.jpg

for some reason i feel like i answered this question before, heck i even recall seeing the same exact picture..

if i recall correctly there was a short in the lighting on the heatsink that caused all the smoke. you might want to start there and see if it solves the issue.

I looked closer and it seems the smoke is coming from a blown capacitor. EVGA is having a replacement motherboard sent my way and it should be here probably Friday or Monday. The other thing is, whether I should be concerned that my power supply is defective too? I have it plugged straight into a wall outlet as sharing this thing on a surge protector with other devices would short my circuit board. I am assuming a surge spike is the cause of my mobo's demise, but is it likely my PSU too? I'll have to buy my PSU a dedicated surge protector then from here on out.

Back