EVGA Bucks Equivalent

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
I personally have never liked this angle of attack with Folding, but is this something you guys want for Team [H]ard? And I am asking this just out of simple curiosity, nothing lined up or in the pipeline, just throwing it out there...

Interesting. I don't begrudge EVGA their bucks program. I simply believe fully sponsored folding belongs in a different category for the competition. With that said I'd be fully on board with a similar program here and then we shoot it out with EVGA.

It's not something that would motivate me, but if you gave free stuff, I would take it. Isnt there a monthly giveaway?

insert Obligatory "we don't need to stoop to evga's level" comment here

IIRC there was discussion about RaTBucks for rat pads at one time :D

No idea really, I just fold to fold these days

if it would help us pay the power bill a little im game for it...or free hardware/amazon gc works to that way we could hide what we buy form the wife's :)

I fold for my own reasons and will continue to fold for [H] because I love this place. That being said, I love free shit. It may also bring some people to the community who may otherwise not be around. Which could be a good and bad thing.....

I personally think some [H]orde folding swag would be the shit. Tshirt, thong underwear etc.

I fold for my own reasons and will continue to fold for [H] because I love this place. That being said, I love free shit. It may also bring some people to the community who may otherwise not be around. Which could be a good and bad thing.....

I personally think some [H]orde folding swag would be the shit. Tshirt, thong underwear etc.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I wouldn't be opposed on the surface at least... Especially given that ANYONE without multiple proc servers folding smp sure as hell isn't in it for the shitty points output.

All this H swag for folders that reach some points milestone and some minimum active folding time would be awesome... And wouldn't be quite as ethically iffy as say EVGA bucks. And would draw in new blood, as LOTS of H posters have wanted and begged for swag from H.

The swag idea is a nice one .... I keep thinking it is a myth that it existed at one point in time....

Outsider alert!! :p

I agree with the quoted comment above...

And as a spin on this (Careful, this might hurt.)

May I offer this thought... A few here are [H]ell bent in believing that we are "Sponsored" at EVGA and that this is the only reason we give [H] any competition.. Well... If it was true... Would your production not double if you did the same thing?

Kevin-Butler-Mind-Blown.gif

The swag idea is a nice one .... I keep thinking it is a myth that it existed at one point in time....

Say for argument sake, it could be made to happen. We could have a couple of not to pricey to obtain items to choose from say:

-official [H] lanyard for short term output (something fairly cheap)...say 1-2 months
-official [H] keychain? Coffee cup? something a bit fancier for mid term output... 5-6 months
-official [H] shirt or something for long term output...something not to pricey, but something lots of people have thirsted for and begged Steve/Kyle for in swag...say a year?

If funds were tight, we could say pick one, if they cross multiple categories of output.

I could see this getting lots of new blood maybe.

If you don't mind someone commenting who has Folded for EVGA, I can offer some opinion that may be of use. As we all know EVGA is an computer product manufacturer. Every EVGA-Buck that is granted goes right back into an EVGA product of some sort. As most know, the "bucks" are not dollars in the sense that someone can cash them in and use them for something else. So they have a very specific, limited use for both donor and EVGA the company.

So, if HardOCP were to do something like that, one question would be "how would the HardOCP-Bucks be used"? That's sort of an important question. For EVGA, at least the money flows right back into product purchase. The EVGA program does have effect upon Folding activity and we see it at the beginning of every month in increased Folding participation. From a donation view, the effect of more people Folding because of the "bucks" does have its merits. I mean it is good for Stanford (the science) and the quest we all share.

No one at EVGA thinks of it as "being paid to Fold" (at least I haven't run across anyone that believes that is what's happening to them). It really is a reward system for people that choose to Fold to a certain level(s) and from that perspective it's good for science. If a program like that for HardOCP helped the HardOCP site in some way, attracted people to Folding that might not do it, and grew the Folding power of this Team, I'd say that sounds pretty good to me! :cool:

I have a couple of old Monopoly games around. We could hand out those bucks. They're worth about the same I believe.

Been doing this for over ten years, wouldn't change what I do one way or the other.

I Fold because I can.

Same here on the ten years or so, back when a WU was (a) point and Tinkers were around.

I Fold because I can.

Same here on the ten years or so, back when a WU was (a) point and Tinkers were around.

The good old days... I was with the Genome@Home project back then, and yes, the points were a LOT harder to come by. :cool:

I don't care for the sponsored points/miles/bucks/etc given to all, but have no qualms about a sponsored contest/membership drive/etc. where a prize is given directly to one or more folders.
It could be one way to help offset a fully sponsored bucks-type draw without a direct you will get X if you do Y in my name type of thing.
Either way though, I'll be here whenever I can.

Honestly, I posted a few weeks ago that I was probably going to stop folding at 40M points because I just didn't see anything and my money (electric bill) could have been used for something better as I can't claim folding and power gets expensive. While [H]ard bucks would be nice, I just don't know what the outcome would be, if it was more than just a monthly "do this many points" program I would agree with it. I like the idea of accomplishment based swag, hell, there is a part of me that really is questioning quitting because I am 2 away from breaking top 100 for [H] folding, and some sort of recognition for doing good for the group would go a long way to keeping me around.

The lack of schwag would not stop me, but, I think it would entice more "novice" folders to give it a whirl. For sure would take a coffee cup, hat, or hoody:)(and who wouldn't?) Many of us have spend literally wheelbarrows full of cash on equipment, electric bills, and, some, even lit their boards on fire(patriot).

Hardbucks would give evga something to put into their craw through.

Now, Kyle if you could work your magic , and get us some discounted ES G34 AD chips for dirt cheap from the AMD rep....:)

The good old days... I was with the Genome@Home project back then, and yes, the points were a LOT harder to come by. :cool:

Haven't been around that long... damn near tho! Points were slow in coming when I started. I find it funny that I have more WU's than 1/2 the top 20 in the team, but just barely 42M points.

And, I fold because I can, not because I have to. I like being part of this dysfunctional family around here... plus, the bragging rights to being on the number 1, and pretty much longest running team is nice too :)

Haven't been around that long... damn near tho! Points were slow in coming when I started. I find it funny that I have more WU's than 1/2 the top 20 in the team, but just barely 42M points.

And, I fold because I can, not because I have to. I like being part of this dysfunctional family around here... plus, the bragging rights to being on the number 1, and pretty much longest running team is nice too :)

I was going to type the same exact thing ...It's like you read my soul! ..even the part about WU's ..

strange :eek:

I agree... although I don't think anyone would deserve to see me in a thong :eek:

I am actually still #1 on [H] and #14 overall in WU's :D

Outsider alert!! :p

I agree with the quoted comment above...

And as a spin on this (Careful, this might hurt.)

May I offer this thought... A few here are [H]ell bent in believing that we are "Sponsored" at EVGA and that this is the only reason we give [H] any competition.. Well... If it was true... Would your production not double if you did the same thing?

For the first week of every month...

I remember the last time this came up and you said it was preposterous that anyone folded just because of the bucks... then the next 4 comments admitted to folding for the bucks... just sayin :p

Currently the Horde feeds the Horde...
Evga Feeds the Evga folding team... Denial doesn't change that fact.

@ Kyle
I personally like being community driven but if you were to throw us some scraps from your review samples I wouldn't object and I don't see that changing the dynamics either.

I definitely wouldn't mind some [H] branded items. :cool:

I new about EVGA before I joined here, I have nothing against what they do as was already stated its good for the end result, wish every video card manufacture did it, wish amd and intel did it to, its good for what were trying to do, which is to make life better for ppl.

You got a good place here with good ppl, forum is thriving and enthusiastic and that is worth alot right there,.

As far as getting something for donating to DC, for me let it be the reward of hearing that the understanding of the problems at hand have been helped by us and ppl like us willing to give. Think how many computers there are out there in the world and how very few are doing DC, we should all be very proud of what we are doing.

Were the few, the proud, the [H]orde

I joined the [H]ard team because they brought me back to DC. I was a big reader (still am) of [H]ardOCP and Anandtech, and was on AT's RC5 project for a long time. After it died off, didn't really get into anything until one of the give aways a long time ago (before it turned out to be a mess) and simply kept doing it after the fact. I could have easily transferred a machine or 2 to evga for the bucks over the years now and made my numbers, but [H] brought be back into the DC fold, and here I've stayed. I'll happily participate in any giveaways/bucks programs (heck, I like having General Mayhem access, but wow, the minimum requirement on it can be done in a week or less with a decent BigAdv machine now), and continue to fold for the [H]orde.

Kyle, logowear items that say "[H] team 33....Shut up and fold"

BTW, shut up and fold :)

I started folding because of the Foldathon. Still folding for the Horde after, because I want to.

That said, if you want to give me stuff I'd take it. :)

Ponderings:

In GenMay and here in the DC section it comes up about getting [H] T-shirts or polos and such.
I know Kyle you have always been reserved on doing those projects because they end up being a bunch or work for little gain.

What if folding was the only way to get said items? Maybe for free or at cost, depending on how we set this up. Heck probably we could have a few people throw some money into a fund (donate) and pay for the operation.

Then it comes down to how many points get you what, and how often can you redeem points. Musky as an example could build a wardrobe in short order if we don't limit stuff ;)

Assuming a self funding operation......
If we did something like 20M points let's you get a T-shirt for $7, and 50M let's you get you one for free. We could do a different design every year to keep it fresh. Higher points for Polos and hoodies. Be cool if we can resurect the [H] pimp hat idea.
We will have to index this somehow so everyone dosen't get a free shirt every week in a couple years. Also you can only win one of an item per year or something.

I think this would do a few things.
Give people goals to strive for.
Liven things up a bit
Also make the rest of the forum a bit jelly and get some of them to fold.

We seem to have little problem coming up with $100 or more a month between members to donate. So this being self funding is possible, as long as we do it right. Probably would have to do "reduced" prices on more expencive items like hoodies or such lest we bust the bank.

In short I like the swag idea and think we could make something work to keep and draw in members.

Edit: there is the simple way too:
Active folders (say points in the last 3 months) have the "right" to purchase [H] swag.
So old time folders are rewarded by being able to order now, new folders have something to strive for.

10M [H] stickers
20M T-shirt
50M polo
100M Hoodie

Or however we want to list the points.

Last edited:
I agree with Kendrak. I would be willing to donate some monthly to a general fund to support things.

Ponderings:

In GenMay and here in the DC section it comes up about getting [H] T-shirts or polos and such.
I know Kyle you have always been reserved on doing those projects because they end up being a bunch or work for little gain.

What if folding was the only way to get said items? Maybe for free or at cost, depending on how we set this up. Heck probably we could have a few people throw some money into a fund (donate) and pay for the operation.

Then it comes down to how many points get you what, and how often can you redeem points. Musky as an example could build a wardrobe in short order if we don't limit stuff ;)

Assuming a self funding operation......
If we did something like 20M points let's you get a T-shirt for $7, and 50M let's you get you one for free. We could do a different design every year to keep it fresh. Higher points for Polos and hoodies. Be cool if we can resurect the [H] pimp hat idea.
We will have to index this somehow so everyone dosen't get a free shirt every week in a couple years. Also you can only win one of an item per year or something.

I think this would do a few things.
Give people goals to strive for.
Liven things up a bit
Also make the rest of the forum a bit jelly and get some of them to fold.

We seem to have little problem coming up with $100 or more a month between members to donate. So this being self funding is possible, as long as we do it right. Probably would have to do "reduced" prices on more expencive items like hoodies or such lest we bust the bank.

In short I like the swag idea and think we could make something work to keep and draw in members.

Presuming we could indeed get the schwag idea to fly. The question we need to ask...is who are we dangling the carrot for? And then set the point levels accordingly.

If we simply set the benches at 20M for reduced price and 50M for free or similar levels....we will never attract casual folders with decent rigs, simply because the only way to reach said 10s of millions of points in a reasonable amount of time is with a 2p or 4p system or with a crapload of GPUs....you'll never do it with a single 1155 or 2011 DD boxen like most people keep around. Example: I have 2 rigs folding SMP and only ATI cards in the house and over a year I got 4million points-which means it would be another 4-5 years before I saw a price reduction....which is easily unmotivating...and instead of doing the F@H thing, I'd just buy the damn schwag myself, and I'm a motivated 24/7 folder.

Unless you're a serious F@H person with means you're not going to go out and buy a G34 just to get a slightly cheaper T-shirt or a free T-shirt.

If we did this, I'd be in favor of tiered points depending on the GPU/SMP/BigAdv category. There would of course be a bit of an honor system...but it is somewhat checkable based on point and WU output.

I think that Kendrak has some good points. The availability of [H] gear alone is motivation for many of our folders. I know I wouldn't mind paying for a t-shirt. Something that nobody else has because we put the work in. Something folding-specific like sc0tty8 mentioned. Team spirit goes a long way here. Maybe fighting to earn a spot on the team will further motivate those willing to go the extra mile. In the Army every platoon, platoon, battalion has a nickname and t-shirts, coins, etc. with that logo or motto are highly prized. Don't make it about money, make it about team pride.

I like sc0tty's idea for the logo but I would like to see a sew on patch available so it can be put on anything.
In my case that would be my bib overalls (I'm a farmer) since I wear them every day.

Now shut up and Fold.

Presuming we could indeed get the schwag idea to fly. The question we need to ask...is who are we dangling the carrot for? And then set the point levels accordingly.

If we simply set the benches at 20M for reduced price and 50M for free or similar levels....we will never attract casual folders with decent rigs, simply because the only way to reach said 10s of millions of points in a reasonable amount of time is with a 2p or 4p system or with a crapload of GPUs....you'll never do it with a single 1155 or 2011 DD boxen like most people keep around. Example: I have 2 rigs folding SMP and only ATI cards in the house and over a year I got 4million points-which means it would be another 4-5 years before I saw a price reduction....which is easily unmotivating...and instead of doing the F@H thing, I'd just buy the damn schwag myself, and I'm a motivated 24/7 folder.

Unless you're a serious F@H person with means you're not going to go out and buy a G34 just to get a slightly cheaper T-shirt or a free T-shirt.

If we did this, I'd be in favor of tiered points depending on the GPU/SMP/BigAdv category. There would of course be a bit of an honor system...but it is somewhat checkable based on point and WU output.
I would want to keep it simple as possible. Now a 660TI is about to make ~40k PPD when QRB goes live for GPU. So 1.2 mill per month. So do we make it 5 mil and you can buy a shirt? That give some fairly quick results and we are not giving away anything, they are still buying the shirt. Free or reduced for much higher lvls.

Maybe 3 mil?

I'm asking. I would love this to raise some eyebrows and bring in people. If we did a new logo per year 3 mill points again in that year and you can get the new shirt.

I don't want someone to have to sit there for hours going through names cross ref folding points. =! fun

I like sc0tty's idea for the logo but I would like to see a sew on patch available so it can be put on anything.
In my case that would be my bib overalls (I'm a farmer) since I wear them every day.

Now shut up and Fold.

That would be cool for the intro prize. We could have a bunch made then send them out.

Do a shirt for a next lvl thing.

Another thought would be the logo on a window decal for the car.
Years back I had several made with the 30 Seconds to Mars logo and it was inexpensive, looked great and had people asking me what it meant.

I would want to keep it simple as possible. Now a 660TI is about to make ~40k PPD when QRB goes live for GPU. So 1.2 mill per month. So do we make it 5 mil and you can buy a shirt? That give some fairly quick results and we are not giving away anything, they are still buying the shirt. Free or reduced for much higher lvls.

Maybe 3 mil?

I'm asking. I would love this to raise some eyebrows and bring in people. If we did a new logo per year 3 mill points again in that year and you can get the new shirt.

I don't want someone to have to sit there for hours going through names cross ref folding points. =! fun

I hear ya, hoss :) . Currently [H] total PPD is what, 2/3 BigAdv folding? And I know we not only want more PPD ofc, but also more diversity. TBH I had forgotten about GPU QRB.

With a raw PPD-based benchmark no matter what level it is the consequence of that benchmark...due to Stanford and how they have the points game rigged... is that GPU folding is the everyday hardware that people have that will hit those levels the fastest....as especially with GPU QRB, and Nvidia 8800 has as much/more PPD than a non OC'd i7-3770. People wanting the easiest and quickest path ergo would hop on doing GPU projects.

That consequence isn't necessarily a bad thing. But the way the points contest is setup now.

I'll be on [H] chat all day and think about it. Course this is largely academic, unless Kyle/Steve are cool with the Schwag idea and we find a way to pay for it or sponsor it.

OK, after talking a bit here is the proto idea:

Make up 500x [H] patches. Self fund the operation (so we will need some donations). Then we can send them out to people who qualify.
We would like to have a low threshhold so new mebers and "average" folders can earn a patch in a couple/few months.

If this doesn't turn into one massive cluster.... we can then ask Kyle if we can look into shirts and such.

Kyle does also have to give thumbs up on the patches too.....

Back