EVGA 9800gtx locks up

kiLLeen

n00b
So I bought a brand new EVGA 9800gtx from newegg and it locks up after about 5 mins of play on WoW at full settings 1280x1024. It's not the drivers because I have installed Vista and XP using both drivers still with the same result. I called EVGA support and they said there hasn't been any problems reported like this yet.

I noticed my fan is consistently running at 30% and the card idles in Windows at 60C. I also know that it's not a heat issue because I've tried running the fan at 100% forced all the time. The temp stays anywhere from 35-48C.

Think I just have a bad card? What do you guys get with temps at idle/load? Do you guys see this problem in any other games? Do you guys see the problem in WoW?

Don't have the card, but those temps are really low even for a G92 based card (as opposed to the often much hotter running G80 based cards), so no, it's not a heat problem at all.

Sounds like you just won the bad luck lottery. Sorry. RMA to Newegg rather than EVGA -- should be quicker.

Did you uninstall your old drivers and run Driver Cleaner on safe reboot? It could be a driver problem.

I installed mine this morning and so far so good. Idles around 60 and only increases a couple of degrees during gameplay.

I don't think I would want the fan running at 100% all the time as it's kind of load at that speed. Thankfully the only time I have had 100% is at startup for a couple of seconds.

Well I did use driver cleaner on vista. But when I installed XP to test it on there you can't get more cleaned than that. There were no drivers on it previously. I think I might have just got a bad card. I think that EVGA will give a faster rma though because they have Advanced RMA where they send you the replacement before you send yours back.

I just got another card today and put it in, same problem...

EVGA 9800GTX
MSI P6N SLI PLATINUM
Q6600 2.4GHZ Quad core
10kRPM Raptor HD 74GB
PC Power & Cooling 610w Continuous

If you have the same setup as me, chances are you will hang in WoW about every 10-20 minutes.

My other card, XFX 8600GT works fine at the same exact settings.

Before you say it's drivers, remember I tried the drivers on Vista and on XP, they are different.

I think the problem is WOW. My friends SLIi 6600 GTs also lock up in it. If you search around you'll find tons of people complaining about lockups in it.

Back