Evga 8800GTX Squeal under load :(

AliP

Limp Gawd
Today I received my Evga 8800GTX Superclocked, I'm upgrading from a GTS, I had no problems before. Now the thing is that every time I put the gpu under load (3D apps) it starts making this horrible squeal, I've heard this may be a PSU issue, but I find that hard to believe since some ppl are running 2 of those cards on it w/o probs.

This is my PSU: Corsair HX620 (620 w).

Any ideas? :(

I have the same problem with my GTS superclocked..... it only happens when I overclock more.

BTW, which GTS did you upgrad from?

Some cards squeal because of a bad component and others squeal because of not enough power. What is your system configuration? You might not have enough power for that PSU but these PSUs are known to run SLI in some instances. But it still may be your PSU. If you can rule it out then i would suggest RMAing your videocard.

Is your sys config still the same?

Some cards squeal because of a bad component and others squeal because of not enough power. What is your system configuration? You might not have enough power for that PSU but these PSUs are known to run SLI in some instances. But it still may be your PSU. If you can rule it out then i would suggest RMAing your videocard.

Is your sys config still the same?

Pretty much, when i switched out the cards i had deactivated my oc (But i tested the PC after i did that and b4 i put the new card in so i know thats not the problem). I'll be taking my PC to a local repair shop soon, they'll do extensive testing, After that ill now exactly which part is causing this. There is also a few extra HDD activated in my pc, (Im moving 600 GB atm, got a new HDD and can get rid of 2 old ones instead). Do HDD's take that much power that they could be causing this? There were a total of 5 running when i booted up the first time with the new card, but no CD/DVD drive.

Also my current temps are 65 c , (Idle) And it seems it hits 70 load, since i was running a HR-03 on my old unit im not used to high temps, this is normal and ok right?

I
BTW, which GTS did you upgrad from?

Standard 8800GTS 640, but it was at about the same speeds as my new GTX card, (626/1000) without problems.

Yes, HDD do use up alot of power especially when they are in RAID arrays. When that PC place tests your system ask them to use a very high wattage+amp PSU and see how it works for them.

Yes, HDD do use up alot of power especially when they are in RAID arrays. When that PC place tests your system ask them to use a very high wattage+amp PSU and see how it works for them.

I know the procedure, they'll both test a 1200W PSU and another 8800GTX card, but tomorrow I'll disconnect every single extra hdd/Fan/DVD Drive/Whatever on my own and see how it goes.

Just tried, didn't change anything :( well then we play the waiting game...

some cards are just like that :(
My last 2 evga 8800gtx acs3 ko did the same thing. Luckily my new ultra doesnt :D

Did you leave the thin plastic film on the heatsink? That would make a high pitched squeal. It did on my 8800 GTS at least. Only did when fan speed was high.

Nope, and I'm sure this is not the fan, I can hear the whine get higher as fps gets higher, kinda weird.

It's probably a poorly insulated coil (inductor). The coils tend to vibrate at really high frequencies as they work in a component under load and this can lead to an audible whine or screech. Often times this will change in pitch or loudness depending on what the card is doing.

Usually these coils are covered in a varnish or hot glue to prevent and/or dampen the vibrations but sometimes you get a bad one that didn't get enough glue or any glue at all. Functionally it will be fine but if the noise is annoying enough you can have the card exchanged.

Also there was a small issue on very early run GTX cards that caused the onboard buzzer to emit a slight squeal during 3D load. Normally this buzzer would only sound when the card isn't recieving enough power, but on the 'problem' cards it would squeal very quietly despite having good power. Again not functionally a problem but if it annoys you, you might want to ask for an exchange.

With mobo's it's oftentimes the ferrite cores vibrating that make squealing noises. May be something similar on your graphics card.

It's probably a poorly insulated coil (inductor). The coils tend to vibrate at really high frequencies as they work in a component under load and this can lead to an audible whine or screech. Often times this will change in pitch or loudness depending on what the card is doing.

Usually these coils are covered in a varnish or hot glue to prevent and/or dampen the vibrations but sometimes you get a bad one that didn't get enough glue or any glue at all. Functionally it will be fine but if the noise is annoying enough you can have the card exchanged.

Also there was a small issue on very early run GTX cards that caused the onboard buzzer to emit a slight squeal during 3D load. Normally this buzzer would only sound when the card isn't recieving enough power, but on the 'problem' cards it would squeal very quietly despite having good power. Again not functionally a problem but if it annoys you, you might want to ask for an exchange.
One of my eVGA 8800GTX Superclocked did this and I RMA'ed it last week. My replacement is coming on Thursday. It was a very annoying whine. Hope this fixes the issue.

poke your head around your rig- is it coming from psu or vid card?
I bet its the psu.

poke your head around your rig- is it coming from psu or vid card?
I bet its the psu.

I'm pretty sure its the videocard, Alot of people are having this issue.

One of my eVGA 8800GTX Superclocked did this and I RMA'ed it last week. My replacement is coming on Thursday. It was a very annoying whine. Hope this fixes the issue.

I did the same thing, My first 8800gtx acs3 ko had a loud squeal/whine during 3d apps like bf2. I returned the card and got another brand new card still same issue. (this was one of the factors on why i upgraded to the 8800ultra now no more whine.)

Plz post how it workes out.

Back