eVGA 8800GTS scratched up / used?

Pulaski

n00b
Hi,

I'm building my new rig and slowly the components are rolling in. Yesterday, I got my
eVGA 8800GTS. I was quite content until I opened the box and saw the card. Three
issues:

1. The top of the casing has scratches on it
2. There were cardboard shreds inside of the fan
3. The back IC has dirty smuges on it

I can't plug the thing in to test if it works or not (my case/mobo is not in yet), but even if it
does work, I am not all that happy that I paid a full price for a card that appears to have
been used already?

Do you guys think this might have something to do with the recall by Nvidia to fix the
bugs? The card was recalled, fixed and scratched up in the fixing process?

evga_8800gts_03.jpg

a) Big scratch from the "A" in EVGA
b) Another one, shaped like an "L" under the "graphics" text
c) Another big one by the fan
d) Plenty of small imperfections not showing up in the picture here.

Darn. :( I'm really quite content with eVGA, I have been using their parts for a while, so
I'm not sure how to react to this one.

PS: Couple more pics.

evga_8800gts_02.jpg

evga_8800gts_04.jpg

Thanks for the pics, looks like it may fit in my case :)

Could be scratches from mishandling....or UPS shipping it.

Call EVGA, I"m sure they'll take care of you :)

Does it have a protective plastic cover thingy on the top you can peel off?

If not, just call evga

where did you buy this out of curiosity?

I've had several new EVGA cards and they all have a protective plastic film over the HSF units that you peel off when installing. If yours didn't have this, then you're definitely not getting a new card. I would contact whoever sold it to you first, as that's probably what EVGA is going to ask you to do.

Someone is selling used goods as new.

I'd be concerned about the scratches too. I'd call evga about it and see what they say. They usually have good customer service and should either have a good explination or exchange the card for you. Personally I'd be leary to try the card, but that's just me.

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll call evga.

For the record:

* no plastic protective wrapping thingy on the casing
* the box had a "quality control" sticker on it, and appears not to have been tampered with
* the box was shrinked wrapped
* I got it via Newegg from their California warehouse, and over years of ordering from them, I
never had a problem

Thanks again and will keep you posted.

Although it's possible the components were in bad shape when the card was assembled, that still wouldn't be an excuse for this card to get by Q/A unless someone made a switch.

Just FYI, the first thing I look for to determine whether a card is used is the bracket itself. The area where the screw is tightened will generally have "scarring" from the twisting of the screw.

Of course, if you've already installed the card and screwed in the bracket, you would have erased all evidence of it.

Brian48 said:
Although it's possible the components were in bad shape when the card was assembled, that still wouldn't be an excuse for this card to get by Q/A unless someone made a switch.

Just FYI, the first thing I look for to determine whether a card is used is the bracket itself. The area where the screw is tightened will generally have "scarring" from the twisting of the screw.

While definitely a good way to find out...I've got a screwless case (the Thermaltake Tsunami) that simply snaps cards into place with a plastic bracket.

I'd think something was up if it didn't have the little thin plastic scratch cover when I opened it. Wasn't there a thread about what to look for in order to see which 8800GTX's were defective? Maybe the store saw something like that and took a look?

Sure looks like it still has the protective film on it to me (the dull finish on the sticker is a dead giveaway).... peel it off!

There were also what looked like tiny cardboard fibers in the blower but I just blew them out. I think it's how the fans are packaged before they are put on the cards or something.

looks like you still have the plastic film on there. especially in the first pic. if not, then RMA it.

Blue Falcon said:
Sure looks like it still has the protective film on it to me (the dull finish on the sticker is a dead giveaway).... peel it off!

Dude! How big is your hand?!? Look at pic #3...

I didn't know Andre the Giant's cousin was a gamer!

You can see a mile away that the protective plastic cover is on there.

Makes me wonder how many people will run their cards with that plastic cover on... :eek:

Ockie said:

Makes me wonder how many people will run their cards with that plastic cover on... :eek:

What he said.. :eek: :eek: You dont see that plastic film on top of the hsf cover? :confused:

Commander Suzdal said:
Dude! How big is your hand?!? Look at pic #3...

I didn't know Andre the Giant's cousin was a gamer!

:D I'm a pretty big guy.

You know how hard it is to find size 15 shoes? :p

Just FYI, my eVGA 8800GTX didn't come with any plastic film either. It came sealed in a plain ol' anti-static bag.

Ockie said:

I bet that's why they have cutouts in the plastic film for the vent holes in the HSF. You just know a certain percentage of people are going to leave it on there, and if it blocked ventilation, poof!

l0cke said:
Does it have a protective plastic cover thingy on the top you can peel off?

If not, just call evga

Sigh.. thank you l0cke and all for pointing out the obvious. Pardon me while I wipe this egg off my face. :D

Yes, the tear-off strip is there, like Ockie said, check your cards before you pop them in and take the plastic off! Lesson learned.

Thanks all for replies! (except the large hands one... you freaks... :D )

Commander Suzdal said:
I bet that's why they have cutouts in the plastic film for the vent holes in the HSF. You just know a certain percentage of people are going to leave it on there, and if it blocked ventilation, poof!

lol...I'm guilty of that :) I popped it in without noticing the film cover. I noticed it after I opened up the case to make better airflow and I guess the heat from the card had caused it to partially fall off.

Same with my eVGA 8800GTS. I didn't notice any film to "peel" off of the top of the HSF. Better go check on that when I get home tonight...

I don't think it was due to the recall. If I remember correctly only the GTX cards had the resistor issue. The GTS was unaffected.

Advil said:
I don't think it was due to the recall. If I remember correctly only the GTX cards had the resistor issue. The GTS was unaffected.

True. Only the GTX was affected.

Back