EVGA 8800 GTX as PhysX card!!

esabet

Weaksauce
I have an EVGA 8800 GTX card that was barely used and was contemplating selling it. Then I was reading around and saw that some people end up buying a separate card to use as a dedicated PhysX card.

Would the 8800 GTX be a good enough candidate for that purpose? Would I see noticeable performance improvement? Or should I sell it?:confused:

UPDATE: After having considered all the replies (Thank You :) ) I have decided that it is best to do away with my 8800 GTX and shop for 9800GT. And now my question is, when I am shopping for a 9800 GT what features and brands I should be looking for, keeping in mind that I will be using it as a dedicated PhysX card? For example, there are both 1GB and 512MB versions, any preference?

Last edited:
Sell the gtx and get a 9800 gt single slot less heat& power draw .cause for physx you don't need a second big card if it's not doing graphics.

It should work just fine. I hardly find all the gains of poster #2 supposed benefits worth all the cost and effort. to upgrade to the other card. If you have a big case, who gives a crap.

How about my PSU (Enermax Liberty ELT620AWT 620 Watt), is it sufficinet?

Agreed, sell the GTX and get a 9800GT. Once I get my GTX480 this summer I'm gonna put my 8800GTX in my second system which I have a 8800GS in right now and maybe use the 8800GS as my physX card (if I even need to). The 8800GTX is just a monster power draw and heat generator, at least in my second system guests are going to get to use it for multiplayer games.

Agreed, sell the GTX and get a 9800GT. Once I get my GTX480 this summer I'm gonna put my 8800GTX in my second system which I have a 8800GS in right now and maybe use the 8800GS as my physX card (if I even need to). The 8800GTX is just a monster power draw and heat generator, at least in my second system guests are going to get to use it for multiplayer games.

Well how much do you guys think I can get for my 8800 GTX and how much can I buy a decent 9800GT for (used, of course)?:confused:

Just so you know it will only help with games that use hardware PhysX acceleration (which is *not* all PhysX games). Nvidia has a list of games that will benefit from GPU PhysX acceleration here: http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_physxgames_home.html

Unless you play the games on that list the 8800GTX will just sit idle. If you do play the games on that list, then the 8800GTX should be fine.

Just curious what games are actualy worth all this effort for? The only one ive played with decent PhysX support is Batman Arkham?

So it's very possible that this is a "notion" that may not catch on as Nvidia hopes it will? If that happens then it will for sure be a waste of time and effort!

That card will work fine, although like others have mentioned there aren't that many games that use PhysX and none that really get a huge impact from it. It makes Batman look better (esp. with w/ Scarecrow and in foggy areas) but it doesn't affect gameplay at all.

In general, it's a tough sell for anyone to truly make it a core part of the game because so few people have it and it can cripple a game if they really do much with it.

Still, since you have the card it won't hurt to make use of it if you have any games that do use it. If you have Batman it's worth giving a spin.

Also good to think about if you wanna run more then just 2 monitors if PhysX doesn't pan out. I already have an HDTV and an LCD hooked up and soon I will have another monitor.

Thanks for all the clarifications!! Its a tough call. Perhaps I will try it out and then decide whether I want to keep the card or sell it!

That list is misleading. Look on the notes for the list I linked:

To avoid confusion, PC titles that do not take advantage of PhysX hardware acceleration are ommitted from this listing.

The list you linked to also includes games that only use software PhysX and not hardware PhysX. Only games on this list: http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_physxgames_home.html benefit from hardware acceleration. This list: http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_physxgames_all.html is simply a list of games that use the PhysX library including those that are software-only

Wouldn't using a dx10 card for dx11 games as a PhysX card make you lose dx11 support? You output from the secondary card. If so it kind of defeats the purpose (at least in dx11 games).

Wouldn't using a dx10 card for dx11 games as a PhysX card make you lose dx11 support? You output from the secondary card. If so it kind of defeats the purpose (at least in dx11 games).

No you don't. The rendering card is the one that outputs the image. No rendering code is done on the PhysX card at all. No output is done from the PhysX card. Only PhysX work happens on the PhysX card.

...The 8800GTX is just a monster power draw and heat generator...

An option for this issue is just down clock it and drop the voltage, its not like the card needs to be running at full speed for PhysX. Be pretty easy to test, keep dropping speeds until it starts affecting framerates, I'd bet it could run pretty damn slow and still power through heavy PhysX shit just fine, it would be an interesting thing to check out.

No you don't. The rendering card is the one that outputs the image. No rendering code is done on the PhysX card at all. No output is done from the PhysX card. Only PhysX work happens on the PhysX card.
Thanks for clearing that up. Now if they only could do a driver so they could use both GPUs on cards like the 295 as your PhysX renderer. As it stands now, if I decided to upgrade to a 480 (I want the sound output) there would be little reason to keep my 295.

I agree with some of the posts here, it is not worth to waster that much power on physx and 9800gtx or gt 240 will be a better buy. with less then half the amount of power and probably physx performance to a point where you wont see a difference between thet two.

Also good to think about if you wanna run more then just 2 monitors if PhysX doesn't pan out. I already have an HDTV and an LCD hooked up and soon I will have another monitor.

I was considering at some point connecting my HDTV to the PC! Are you saying I would be better off to use a seperate GPU for the HDTV as oppose to using the priamry card for both, the LCD monitor and the HDTV?

An option for this issue is just down clock it and drop the voltage, its not like the card needs to be running at full speed for PhysX. Be pretty easy to test, keep dropping speeds until it starts affecting framerates, I'd bet it could run pretty damn slow and still power through heavy PhysX shit just fine, it would be an interesting thing to check out.

I agree, that would be an interesting experiment!

I agree with some of the posts here, it is not worth to waster that much power on physx and 9800gtx or gt 240 will be a better buy. with less then half the amount of power and probably physx performance to a point where you wont see a difference between thet two.

I need to do some shopping around I guess!

I was considering at some point connecting my HDTV to the PC! Are you saying I would be better off to use a seperate GPU for the HDTV as oppose to using the priamry card for both, the LCD monitor and the HDTV?

No, but some ppl are that obsessed with performance, I meant, three or more monitors, two desktop LCDs and one HDTV. That was just to point out that.

PhysX is USELESS! Why are you going to load your PSU and heat up your pc for a small benefit in one or two games.

Sell the damn thing on Ebay, they are still fairly good cards for someone with a low-res monitor (I was using an 8800GTS 640 with a 1680x1050 monitor till last month, and it would play just about anything except Crysis which I don't like anyway)

So many mixed opinions!:confused: But I must say it seems majority are saying "don't bother"!

So many mixed opinions!:confused: But I must say it seems majority are saying "don't bother"!

Mainly because there still aren't many games that really use GPU PhysX. Mirrors Edge and Batman AA are the biggies, and thats about it. So go play those two games and then sell your 8800 GTX - problem solved ;)

Mainly because there still aren't many games that really use GPU PhysX. Mirrors Edge and Batman AA are the biggies, and thats about it. So go play those two games and then sell your 8800 GTX - problem solved ;)

Now there is a good solution!:cool:

How about my PSU (Enermax Liberty ELT620AWT 620 Watt), is it sufficinet?

Based on experience, I'd say probably not. The total available +12v output is actually only 36A (432w), and the two units I've had (and blown up) both undervolted well short of 12v as well. Neither time did they take anything else out with them, but I'd grab something like a Corsair TX750 for peace of mind.

Based on experience, I'd say probably not. The total available +12v output is actually only 36A (432w), and the two units I've had (and blown up) both undervolted well short of 12v as well. Neither time did they take anything else out with them, but I'd grab something like a Corsair TX750 for peace of mind.

Thank you for addressing that issue. If that is the case, then it makes my decision easier since it appears now I also need to upgrade my PSU = additional $$$. Given that it seem the gains are not really worth it!

Fucking waste of a perfectly good 8800 GTX if you ask me. Just sell it to someone who will use it as their primary card and use the money for something else.

Fucking waste of a perfectly good 8800 GTX if you ask me. Just sell it to someone who will use it as their primary card and use the money for something else.

I am beginning to think that way more and more!!:p

If i was to opt for a 9800 GT, is there anything specific I should be looking for, like manufacturer, etc.. or are they all the same more or less?

I have started doing some research on the 9800GTs and the first thing that I am discovering is that they come both in 512mb and 1GB flavors. Is there a preference here even though the card is solely going to be used as a dedicated PhysX card?

Also, as I mentioned in my last post, is there a particular manufacturer that I should be focusing on?

I thought the 9800GT was better suited for physx, as the G80 core wasn't that good at Physx, and G92 was much more tuned for it.

I thought the 9800GT was better suited for physx, as the G80 core wasn't that good at Physx, and G92 was much more tuned for it.

I understand and thank you!

If you look at my last two posts, I am begining to look into buying a 9800GT and do away with my 8800 GTX. Now my question is when I am shopping for a 9800 GT what features and brands I should be looking for keeping in mind that I will be using it as a dedicated PhysX card?

I understand and thank you!

If you look at my last two posts, I am begining to look into buying a 9800GT and do away with my 8800 GTX. Now my question is when I am shopping for a 9800 GT what features and brands I should be looking for keeping in mind that I will be using it as a dedicated PhysX card?

I'd say get a quiet, 512M 9800GT, it should be enough =)

Back