EVGA 790i need help, wont always boot

Splurch1

n00b
So I picked the 790i up about a month ago for a new computer. Have been having a few issues but I've resolved all of them so far. Currently, the computer won't always start up. If I hit the power button, the fans spin up but that confirmation startup beep won't occur. I have to power the system down from the power button and try again to get it to start, at which point I get a message that the BIOS is in safe mode now and I need to reset my cpu/memory settings. It is happening fairly consistently now when I power down the computer. The only change is that I purchased a gtx 280 from PNY about a week ago, other then that no changes to the hardware have occured. I am running the latest BIOS P05.

Sounds like power supply.
+1
when you start your pc everything starts at the same time (duh) and the load to the power supply can pretty bad for a few milliseconds. That peak starting power may be over the limit of your current setup. that's why the system turns on and the fans spin but nothing else happens.

try a better/higher rated psu because it looks like your at the ceiling of what your PSU can give you.

Ill check out the PSU as well, but I may have fixed it. Apparently my ram was set at 1.5v when it should have been 1.7. Would that have been a possible cause (seeing as its fixed, but it may just be something else, wanted to confirm)

I have the XFX 790i Ultra and was problems with lockups 4-5 times a day. It was thememory voltage. It wanted to default to 1.5v and should have been 1.7v. Manually set to 1.7v and have had no lockups for last 2 weeks.

Back