EVGA 750i northbridge fan LOUD

jjolin

Gawd
so i installed my 750i yesterday along with another 8800gt

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188026&Tpk=evga+750i

i installed it, and i noticed that my normally quiet p180 wasn't, but i figured it was the video cards, since there's more than one. woke up this morning, and i couldnt take it. i had to find out what it was. i went through a very scientific process (stopping each fan with my finger, one by one) and it was that northbridge fan. that thing is loud. its louder than my case fans. i took the fan out, and now its really quiet again. i dont think i need that nothbridge fan, even if i wanted to overclock anyway with a heatsink like that. im gonna upgrade my heatsink, and i bet i could max out the chip without that little thing.

so buyers beware, if you get this motherboard, and you system seems to get awfully loud, thats what it is.

Yeah I've heard in some other thread about that nb fan being loud. Why not just replace only the fan instead of the whole heatsink?

i just took the fan off, and im leaving it off. the heatsink is still pretty large and i think itll work out fine even when i overclock.

i just took the fan off, and im leaving it off. the heatsink is still pretty large and i think itll work out fine even when i overclock.

I wouldn't. NVIDIA chipsets run excessively hot. Taking off the fan is a recipe for destruction.

You are correct though, the NB on the 750i SLI reference boards is excessively loud.

I wouldn't. NVIDIA chipsets run excessively hot. Taking off the fan is a recipe for destruction.

You are correct though, the NB on the 750i SLI reference boards is excessively loud.

I 2nd that. my 780i normally idles at like 58-60c and thats with the NB fan on max.

Do what I did and put a different 60mm fan on there. It will make a ton of difference. I used a Vantec Stealth and it's much much quieter. Mounted it with some of the 3m double sided tape. It's not going anywhere.

Mines on a 780i, but I have seen others do it on the 750i also.

IMG_0684.jpg

My aux on speedfan is at 46 without the fan on idle, which i believe is the northbridge, though that silenx fan 18cfm at 16db is is making me want a fan lol.

i took the evga fan that comes with it, pulled the fan straight out, put some vegetable oil on the axle or whatever its called, and put it back on, its a little quieter, quieter than my 8800gt fan, lol.

For a decent priced board, you'd think EVGA would spring for a better fan :rolleyes:
Well, I'll see for myself in the next couple of days.

I have the 750i and I don't notice the north bridge fan running loudly but I did turn it down to 60% speed. I do hear some fan noise inside my case but I have a few internal fans. I should play around and see what's causing the most noise.

*update*

Unpluged my northbridge and couldn't tell the difference. But like I said it's running only at 60%. I have a case fan that is real whiny, I unplugged that though and damn what a difference.

Back