• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

EVGA 680i help needed

Joined
Jan 20, 2006
Messages
894
Greetings all,

I'm buiding a system currenty and running into an odd power cycling problem:

MB: eVGA 680i
Hiper 680 PS
Corsair twinX 6400
eVGA 8800GTS 320

basically when i hit the power button the fans spin up for about 1 second no post, no beeps then shuts back down, (it doesn't even give enough time for the error digits to read out.)

tried 2 different powersupplies, (the hiper and a 500W Ultra I know works,) 2 different sticks of ram (the corsair and an OCZ set i know works), and nothing.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Fallen
 
ok found at least 1 problem so far... it was shorting out on something in the case, (one of the mounting screws was bad, (the hole through the MB had some bad marks on it,) so I put a insulator on it and we can get the cycling to stop at this point... new problem, the LCD readout on the board shows 2 dashes, (everything is spinning up but it won't go into POST, (no beeps nothing.)

thoughts?
 
I had the same problem with the lcd but no short..Sorry to say after finally getting tech to respond after 2 weeks the board is bad..Had to rma the board and now all is well..Booted up first time with new replacement board...
Tech said at first they would send a new bios chip then said issue was occuring with other buyers boards and wanted the board returned for testing..They 2nd day air'ed my replacement board once they recieved my board which i sent priority usually 3 days so I was out only 5 days for the actual replacement but they worked on the problem for 10 days before getting back to me to replace the board..At least they were working on the problem but this is what we have to put up with when we try new unproven boards and software..Its annoying and pisses you off but as usual we all lived through it..Im happy now and the board runs good but seems like im always looking to what if i order another board?
how will it run?...The cycle never ends and the addiction is hard to break..Guess it could be worse though, It could be heroine or crack instead of leading edge computer hardware..Thats what I tell my wife when the bitching begins with how many more parts are you ordering this week?
Im in detox now for 7 days...Just enough time to read up on the asus commando and the dfi 3200 /775 amd /sb600 board before mainlining one in the next 2 weeks.....God i love being an addict...............LOL
Anyone else suffering like me?
 
Anyone else suffering like me?


Heh, lets see. I've built lots of computers and have never had as many problems as I have with my current build.

EVGA 680i mobo: 1st one lasted a month and just gave up, -- on the lcd. 2nd board lasted 1 hour, -- on the lcd. 3rd board is currently running fine after a weeks use, fingers are crossed.

Corsair Dominator 1250 2gb set: 1st set died after 1 week, I think the EVGA board killed them. 2nd set is running fine.

EVGA 8800GTX: 1st one lasted 10 minutes, then it let the magic smoke out and shot sparks everywhere, currently on rma.

I'm waiting for the psu to explode and the sound card to catch fire, because thats all that's really left to happen at this point!
 
RMA has been processed, having it overnighted, (hopefully,) and we'll see where we go from there. it appears as if the short caused some cascading problems across the board, (the eVGA folks seemed fine with the RMA process as well as setting up a cross shipping so here's hoping the next one comes in as expected.

my current system, (in sig,) has been up and running clean and fine for 3 months now quite happily the only problem i've had so far is the lack-luster performance of the stock HSF.

And yea... the wife lets out quite a sigh every time she sees newegg or another tech-shopping site up on my screen; my advice to her is to just not look... ignorance is bliss.... ;) (that's when she typically smacks me.
 
- - does not necessarily mean the board is dead. a guy in another thread had that error across a couple rma'd boards until he decided to swap out his psu and found this was the problem.
also one of the above poster's took 2 weeks to get an rma number from evga? i cooked one of my boards, had an rma number in about 2 hours (no phone, email and web forms only) and a new board in my hands in 54 hours (evga overnighted the board). i think you might have done something wrong.
i have had 5 of these boards, 2 ar's from newegg in november, 1 rma'd ar from evga in december (i shorted the board screwing around with a slot cover while it was running) and now 2 a1's from evga. i run raid and sound cards on all of them. high voltage g.skill ram on all. all high overclocked, high vcore, high every other voltage. never even had one hang. either i am very lucky, or some of you guys are very unlucky.
 
- - does not necessarily mean the board is dead. a guy in another thread had that error across a couple rma'd boards until he decided to swap out his psu and found this was the problem.
no... it is either grounding or it is dead. the guy who switched PSUs must have had some grounding issue. either that or his psu was too weak. can you give me a link to his thread? i am curious..
also one of the above poster's took 2 weeks to get an rma number from evga? i cooked one of my boards, had an rma number in about 2 hours (no phone, email and web forms only) and a new board in my hands in 54 hours (evga overnighted the board). i think you might have done something wrong.
heh heh.. i think i was the one who killed my first board also. the - - code showed after all the power went out in my room. (guessin it was a short) i got my RMA # in one day. Received replacement on my doorstep three days later. Excellent service if you ask me.
i run raid and sound cards on all of them. high voltage g.skill ram on all. all high overclocked, high vcore, high every other voltage. never even had one hang. either i am very lucky, or some of you guys are very unlucky.
same here, i have dealt with three boards and they all work perfectly fine. (except the first one which i believe i killed with my own hands heh)
 
With the one I've been working on we tried 2 different PS's, one 580 and one 500, the 580 was new but the 500 has been in a system running happily for the past 2 or 3 years give or take. definately think it was the board shorting out that caused a deeper issue, I'll let ya know once I get the RMA back if that was the issue.
 
With the one I've been working on we tried 2 different PS's, one 580 and one 500, the 580 was new but the 500 has been in a system running happily for the past 2 or 3 years give or take. definately think it was the board shorting out that caused a deeper issue, I'll let ya know once I get the RMA back if that was the issue.
No offense intended...you have a nice mobo, good ram, killer vid card...why would you want to skimp on the PSU?
This is one of the most important components in today's builds that 3 out of 4 people just overlook.
Just my .02 ;)
 
Originally Posted by KJY9:
No offense intended...you have a nice mobo, good ram, killer vid card...why would you want to skimp on the PSU?
This is one of the most important components in today's builds that 3 out of 4 people just overlook.
Just my .02

I've had great luck with Hiper based powersupplies, (its what is currently churning away in my system); I agree that cheap power supplies can definately cause issues, (I've had low end PS's that come with a case cause major problems,) but the Hiper I've got, has been rock solid. The only complaint I've got is that the aux power is only a 4-pin and not an 8, other than that real happy with it.
 
I have a very similar issue. I thought my board was DOA.

When trying a cold boot and the blue LED is on, I have to press the power on button a few times, the fans start for about a second and then stop. If I then hold down the power button the board and everything else powers up and runs without any problem - so far can O/C an E6600 to ~3.7GHz. If left powered on a warm boot can be accomplished by just holding down the power butten for a few seconds.

This is obviously some sort of problem and I've thought about RMA'ing the board but haven't done so yet.

I'm using a 500W Enermax PSU which has worked fine for over a year in another rig so don't think it's a PSU problem as such, but I don't have another to swap with.
 
Back
Top