EVGA 670 FTW - Any recent issues?

Nihilanth99

2[H]4U
Looking to bite the bullet on an EVGA 670 FTW 2GB... have you guys had any issues with these recently, like the flickering or red screens I've read about in the past? I'm mostly curious about reliability and coil whine.

Also for the two game coupon promotions currently running (Borderlands 2 and AC3), I assume Borderlands is a Steam code and AC3 redeems on Uplay?

Thanks in advance.

I bought one Friday to replace my 5870 that was running hot.

I did get some kind of flickering issue once but it went away with a reboot.(recorded it upside down with phone by mistake)
http://youtu.be/VP57qpAF9No

I didn't know it was a problem with these cards. Just figured it was something in the background that caused it.

The card runs good other than that. I think it is quiet. usually runs around 75c range under load with fan at 50% but its quiet.
I can post some benchmarks at stock if you if you want to see.

Scary video! :eek:

Glad to hear it's quiet, and 75 C sounds alright to me, that is cooler than the HD 4890 I've run for the past few years. I'm also assuming quiet here means no coil whine, which is a plus.

Just finished placing the order! It's a shame the price has stayed so consistently high, but then NVIDIA has every right to charge what people will pay for it... they made the better product this round.

As a furious, foaming-at-the-mouth ATI fanboy for ten years, this marks my first trek back to the green side since the GeForce 4. I'm that guy who has a passionate hatred for telecine judder on 60Hz screens and multi-GPU AFR microstuttering, and so despite still loving the Canadians in red, Tahiti with its single-card frame metering problems proved too much to swallow.

I wounder if there is any way to tell build dates on evga cards. I read in the serial number the first 2 numbers are the year it was made but didn't find anything about what month.
I also read there where 2 revisions of the card but don't know if its true.

Been running 2 of them in SLI since I could first lay my hands on them.

Not one single issue and love em to death.

Run 2 in SLI here, no issues. With high ambients due to the Australian summer I'm still sitting at 60 - 65 degrees full load.

I've been running 2 of them in SLI for a few months. Just upgraded to IB and bought a 3rd card and that one was bad. Getting similar video artifacts to the video above and the whole PC would lock up, right after the driver crashed.

I tested it thoroughly by itself, in 2 way SLI, and in another system as well. I'm currently waiting for my RMA to come back.

I have the 4GB FTW addition as well mind you.

The card runs good other than that. I think it is quiet. usually runs around 75c range under load with fan at 50% but its quiet.
I can post some benchmarks at stock if you if you want to see.

I own a GTX 680 and I am 100% positive that the card throttles back when the temp reaches 70C. You should check if the same happens with the 670, I would bet it does.

It does, you need to adjust the fan profile to keep temps under 70 degrees C.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Look around, you can a 680 for a bit more. I got this 4GB 680 for $479 after rebate 2 weeks ago.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Z33T1M/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

Wow, the price went up, looks like I got a steal! See if it comes back down soon.

680 is a bad deal at this point - you can get a 4GB 670 for just over $400. Which is equivalent to within 3%-5% of the performance of the 680. I have a few friends that are mad that the 670's are so cheap and offer almost identical performance after they bought 680's before the 670's came out.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
680 is a bad deal at this point - you can get a 4GB 670 for just over $400. Which is equivalent to within 3%-5% of the performance of the 680. I have a few friends that are mad that the 670's are so cheap and offer almost identical performance after they bought 680's before the 670's came out.

Eh, I just bought 2 of them and I'm not looking back! Just think people once paid $600 for what I paid $480 for! A 4GB 670 at $420 vs my 4GB 680 at $480 is worth it to me. Far Cry 3 at 2560x1600 :)

Purchased my 670 FTW about two weeks ago. Awesome card and beastly overclocker. I'm currently running stable at +100 gpu and +450 memory. Still slowly pushing it up to find its limit. I'm really in a bind as to whether I should buy another for SLI or just wait for the new nvidia series in spring.

Got mine at launch and haven't had any issues.

I run 5760x1080 or 2650x1600 just fine on BF3, FO3, L4D2, D3, CIV5, and most importantly audiosurf.

Seems a bit under powered on BF3 but that's likely either A) my frame of reference or B) BF3 is a beast.

At 2560x1600 I run BF3 on a steady 50 (rarely) to 60fps on High Settings in 48/64 man servers. This is on the overclock in my previous post.

Thanks for all the comments, I'm looking forward to it!

To those of you talking about not wanting to exceed 70C on the core due to throttling, do you mean that the clock drops from one of the boost states at this temp or are things dropping down below the base clock?

Thanks for all the comments, I'm looking forward to it!

To those of you talking about not wanting to exceed 70C on the core due to throttling, do you mean that the clock drops from one of the boost states at this temp or are things dropping down below the base clock?

The boost throttles down.

Nope havent had any issues. I've owned mine for about 5 months now. Rock solid.

Got it installed last night and everything seems to be working great! It's a shame to see low utilization in CPU-bound scenarios but it is breathtaking when it gets to stretch its legs. It's going to be fun revisiting some of the graphically intense games from the past couple years with a fresh coat of paint.

Speaking of EVGA 670. I'm looking at prices: what's the reason you bought EVGA? I could get the cheapest reference card, PNY for 80€ less than EVGA, any reason not to?

Speaking of EVGA 670. I'm looking at prices: what's the reason you bought EVGA? I could get the cheapest reference card, PNY for 80€ less than EVGA, any reason not to?

It depends on what card you are talking about. The card this thread about(670ftw) uses a 680 pcb and is factory overclocked. Reviews showing it having close to 680 performance.

The price difference isn't so significant in this country, only 40 USD at the time of purchase. Normally I'd go with a card closer to reference, but a combination of the 680+ clocks and apparent better reliability of the FTW over EVGA's base card ended up pushing me over.

It depends on what card you are talking about. The card this thread about(670ftw) uses a 680 pcb and is factory overclocked. Reviews showing it having close to 680 performance.
The FTW one. Does the PCB layout contribute to better OCs in any way or do most 670s OC about the same depending on chip lottery?

The price difference isn't so significant in this country, only 40 USD at the time of purchase. Normally I'd go with a card closer to reference, but a combination of the 680+ clocks and apparent better reliability of the FTW over EVGA's base card ended up pushing me over.
So when were talking about "reference" does that mean the PCB layout only? Do they add their own cooling solutions? Not talking about the ones with several fans but the ones that all look alike on the outside.

I've had zero issues with my evga 670 ftw. One crash in Alan Wake is the only hiccup in 2 months. I see boost hitting something like 1168mhz sometimes. No fan noise. No coil whine. Best card I've bought under $400 hands down.

The FTW one. Does the PCB layout contribute to better OCs in any way or do most 670s OC about the same depending on chip lottery?

So when were talking about "reference" does that mean the PCB layout only? Do they add their own cooling solutions? Not talking about the ones with several fans but the ones that all look alike on the outside.

According to this the 670 ftw card has a binned chip. http://www.overclock.net/products/evga-geforce-gtx-670-ftw-02g-p4-2678-kr-video-card/reviews
The pcb has more caps and I would think that would be better for voltage regulation and possible more stable overclocks,could also help the chip to last longer.
It should be just a better overall quality pcb and cooler from what I have read. Maybe a little quieter and less coil whine.

Just shelled out for one of these myself. Currently $360 AR on Amazon, not quite the cheapest it has ever been, but considering the lack of real price drops on high end, last gen cards I figured waiting around wasn't going to make much difference.

Expecting a decent performance bump from my current EVGA 560ti FPB, hopefully i'll be able to sell that off for $125-150ish.

Hopefully you wont be disappoionted. I have an older system that the 670 breathed a last bit of life into before I upgrade.

Back