EVGA 650i OC/ Bios Guide

Glow

Supreme [H]ardness
First of all this can be used for other 650i's I'm sure, The specifics however are for the EVGA. Sorry this is a bit tardy lets just say I've been busy. This is basically a draft so far.

Secondly I'd personally like to thank Astral Abyss, I haven't used Intel since the PIII So some of this was kinda confusing to me. The thing about the 650i/ 680s and the c2d is OCing is easy as hell now, it's easy to over think it. I remember my Barton 2500+ and writing out a page of math to figure out my speeds ect.

Thirdly this is what I did it works for me use at your own descression I am not liable if you do something wrong. This using the P02 BIOS. http://bxclub.dk/Evga650i-ORG.BIN Which can be found here they seem okay, the P03 are out now but they dont seem to have F*ck all for us except quadcore updates. EVGA really likes to shrug us off it seems kinda like how we'd have to spend $150+ to get a board that has memory options that go higher than 2.1v

I also reccomend buying a fan for your northbridge and a heatsink for your Southbridge or they will get retardedly hot. I went with a copper heatsink on my SB and a 40mm or so fan for my NB.

Okay now! BIOS:

Under: Advanced Chipset Features
System Clocks
HT Spread Spectrum - Disabled
PCIe Spread Spectrum (spp) - Disabled
------

FSB & Memory Config
What I have them set at:
Unlinked
My fsb (QDR) 1333
Mem (DDR MHz 800)
-------

Mem timings under PARAMETERS Set them to expert then change them to the settings you want them to be, whatever your ram would run ideal at. Don't touch the bottom ones leave them at auto. I should note even if the settings you change already read as say 5-5-5-15 go in and do it manually just so it is set properly by you.
My ram is set to 5-5-5-15 2T under this tab
-------

CPU Config Options:
Limit CPUID MaxVal - Disabled
Intel Speed Step - Disabled
CPU Thermal Control - Disabled
C1E enhanced halt state - Disabled
Execute disable Bit - Enabled

Make sure all your cores are enabled 0 and 1 if you have two cores for example. You most likely wont have to touch it they will probally show just fine.
---------

System Voltages should be set to whatever you see fit, you'll know more when OCing.
For example Mine:
CPU core: 1.35625
CPU FSB: 1.2V
Memory: 2.1V
nforce Spp 1.2V

I should note some guides online people have their SPP and FSB at 1.4v, clearly it's not needed unless you have stabuility issues but I think it's just going to heat up your mobo more than it needs to more than anything.
---------

Under Advanced Chipset Features still:
Overclocking Recovery - Enabled
System Bios Cacheable - Disabled
Video Ram Cacheable - Disabled
HPET Function - Disabled

NVIDIA GPU ex - Disabled
----------

Power Management
ACPI Function - Enabled
ACPI Suspend Type [S1 (Pos) ] <-- I reccomend this especially if you have Vista**

Power on by Alarm - Disabled
Pwr On after fail [Off]
Power on Func [Button Only]
--------

PnP/PCI Config tab leave as is, you won't need to change anything in there.
---------

Power Management Fan settings stuff:
If Temp > 70C set fan at 100%
If temp < 50C set fan at 100%

Manual fan speed %100

Chasis span speed %100
(I should note the fan settings for this board suck, there are bunch of complaints)

Now we completed Part 1 of the BIOS setup. I don't reccomend changing your stock CPU speed or changing your default voltages yet. Just go threw and change everything that needs to be enabled or disabled and save then exit.

****I will continue with the actual OC part later. It gets fun from there but this crap needs to be done and I need a break****

how about if all of a sudden, after updating the bios, NONE of the manual ocing is allowed? I am stuck at stock timings with no options. Clueless as to why.

Which BIOs did you install? So there's absolutely nothing you can change? That's extremely odd. I'd ask on evga forums.

Part 2 would be most appreciated, however it's over a year since the last comment was made, so I won't hold much hope.

I've just bought an EVGA 650i mobo, and I'm having issues, not sure if anyone else has had these.

I've set all of the bios settings correctly as in the Nvidia overclocking guide etc, and I can run my FSB 100% stable at 1300Mhz at a medium voltage, but even 1301, or any other value above 1300 the computer won't even get to the bios. I've tried increased voltages and nothing seems to help.

Other than this (and big CPU Vdroop & limited RAM voltage options), everything is pretty good. Board cost me £35 ($62), so dispite issues, it's a bargain!

Any help about the FSB issue would be greatly appreciated!

the biggest issue for me is my computer shuts down if i try to do anything to demanding. i dont know if its my cpu or if my heatsink is not working good enough?? also when i look up my ram with a DXDIAG it only reads 2814. i have 2-2gig sticks of ram (4gigs). my cpu is a 1.83 duel core.

That does sound strange. What temperatures do you have on your CPU generally? Also, what spec power supply do you have?

It would be worth checking your heatsing is installed properly, then if it is, you could try upping the voltage a bit to help the stability (but only do this if you have sufficient cooling).

On my EVGA 650i mobo, the CPU voltage drops by 0.2v under load, which means I need quite high voltage to remain stable when overclocking.

Regarding the RAM, are you running a 32bit OS? If so, it won't recognise the full 4gb of ram - best to get XP or Vista 64-bit.

thanks for the info. i am running 32 bit vista. i dont know how to check or change the voltage for my fans. i know that the heatsink fan seems to be running weak because i can pess in the middle with my finger and it will stop turning and im not pressing very hard at all.

Sorry, I should have explained more clearly. Increasing the CPU core voltage, not fan voltage, may help stability. This should be done carefully, and only if you have good cooling.

ok thanks. you know , i wonder if my 1.86 duel-core cpu is powerful enough anymore. it always reads high levels when i try to do something. right now as im only typing , its reading 2% but any program and im in the 70+ and sometimes 100%. if its maxing out like that then my cpu is getting very hot im sure. do you know a tool that i can get that will display my temp. readings? i only have cpu and ram readings via my ''logitech G15'' keypad, and a yahoo'' gadget '' tool . on my old mobo i had a ''core center'' on my desktop that i could overclock and read all heat and usages. anyways........

Back