EVGA 600B 600W Power Supply Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
EVGA 600B 600W Power Supply Review - EVGA is somewhat hit and miss when it comes to computer power supplies, and generally a lot more miss than hit. But today we give EVGA another go with its 600 watt "Bronze" rated unit that EVGA tells us is very much for a the value and budget market. Nothing we like better than a good deal, so let's see how the 600B performs!

Maybe my concept of value is different but this thing did what it was intended to do for nearly 1/2 the price of a similarly spec product and 600Watt is plenty for most gaming systems. At that price it's almost pointless to go with a lower power but better build PSU. Thanks for baking it for us though. XD

Maybe my concept of value is different but this thing did what it was intended to do for nearly 1/2 the price of a similarly spec product and 600Watt is plenty for most gaming systems. At that price it's almost pointless to go with a lower power but better build PSU. Thanks for baking it for us though. XD
Do you think we said otherwise?

Yeah... you kind of did. :)

I think the concept of "high end" has been skewed a bit lately. A 600W power supply is BIG for a PC in general. It's enough to run a 980Ti and a 4 or 6 core CPU, with moderate overclock.

That's a long way from useless mainstream parts.

I've used a bunch of 500 and 600 EVGA power supplies over the last year and they've all done well in the real world. Sure, I'd rather put Corsairs or better in everything but people want gaming systems at RaidMax generic pricing. EVGA is getting it done big time with these power supplies. I wouldn't be able to build competitively without this series right now TBH. And I can at least sort-of trust the brand name to not make supplies where they ALL burn up after 6 months.

I think the concept of "high end" has been skewed a bit lately. A 600W power supply is BIG for a PC in general. It's enough to run a 980Ti and a 4 or 6 core CPU, with moderate overclock.

I've used a bunch of 500 and 600 EVGA power supplies over the last year and they've all done well in the real world. Sure, I'd rather put Corsairs or better in everything but people want gaming systems at RaidMax generic pricing. EVGA is getting it done big time with these power supplies. I wouldn't be able to build competitively without this series right now TBH. And I can at least sort-of trust the brand name to not make supplies where they ALL burn up after 6 months.

Yeah, and EVGA Support is like a breath of fresh air compared to most companies.

Also, on the corsair remark. Currently there isn't a single PSU from corsair that I feel competes with the EVGA equivalent. EVGA is just rocking the marketplace currently with great prices on solid products. Are they the best of the best? Not always, but they are always up there and better priced.

Yeah, I was mostly basing that remark on the previous gen Corsair TX and HX supplies that were legendary and the AX are just positioned in the wrong price segment. The current CX series aren't really anything special compared to the EVGAs and cost a lot more.

I really like HardOCP's reviews of power supplies. If I want to build a budget system, I'll probably get this one. I hear a lot of good things about EVGA support.

You are confusing "high end" (features, performance, quality, etc) with capacity.

Thanks for the review. I feel a little better about the EVGA 600W 80+ I got from Bestbuy for $32 shipped to my door.

PSU calculator says I only needed 400ish watts and didn't think my Corsair CX430w would make it. This is for a 2ndary computer anyways.

A question though, It's better to go multi-rail vs. single for ocp/ovp on PSU's? Corsair marketing makes me believe it is.

A question though, It's better to go multi-rail vs. single for ocp/ovp on PSU's? Corsair marketing makes me believe it is.

-There isn't any difference, as long as your PSU is a quality one (*personally i prefer single rail PSUs)
-P.S. Like @Jorona already said, this seems as a great entry-level PSU, ideal for Home/office use, but i'm wondering about its longevity in a Gaming-PC. (*its main CapXon 85C cap , doesn't inspire me with confidence that it will survive in a Gaming-PC more than its 3 year warranty)

A properly done multi-rail PSU is safer than a single rail PSU, given everything else being identical. An improperly done multi-rail PSU is inferior to a single rail PSU. 99% of modern PSUs are all single rail PSUs. Multi-rail PSUs are created from single rail PSUs by adding OCP circuits to sets of connectors.

Just a suggestion but you might want to differentiate more clearly between electrical noise and audio noise, probably by using a different term for one or the other. It was disconcerting to read about electrical noise in one paragraph and then have 'Noise' as a whole new header. I really appreciated you covering the audio noise issue, though.

I can vouch for EVGA's good customer service and their SuperNOVA series PSU's. I might build a budget rig for a friend and the 600B seems like a great pick albeit overkill in the wattage department - but at that price who cares, right. Also, EVGA makes the best looking PSU's imho, especially the beautiful SuperNOVA models.

Lastly, kudos to [H] for another very solid PSU review. Any power supply you guys pass, or especially award a medal, is guaranteed to be a great investment.

Used a couple of these (500B and 600B) PSUs in client builds and never had one die. These are much better than the Corsair CX series in my opinion.

Good to see it passed testing. I recently purchased one of these to put in my parents HTPC as I was doubtful of how much longer the CX430 (original, non 80 plus) until would last.

Tough to beat for 35 bucks after rebate (and the rebate came quickly).

Back