Everytime I update Cats, it's slow.

SuperSubZero

2[H]4U
Ever since I started using ATI cards I've had this problem. I go from one version of Catalysts to another and if I don't uninstall/run driver cleaner/sacrifice goat, upon reboot the system is just unusably slow. I can now reproduce this exact problem on two PC's with very different specs (one is a laptop). In fact now with the 4.9's (without new control panel) it's a nightmare, I can't get the 4.9's to run right at all. I either get speed and no control panel at all (ie. display->advanced has no ATI tabs) or it just runs slow.

I was able to live with it from the early versions until now, but now it's becoming a problem,

Same thing happens to me. I don't know what's causing it. It's not SP2 as it's done this ever since I got my x800 pro. I guess we might just be SOL. :(

I have the same exact problem. Surfing the net is like watching a slide show. Someone told me it was the SmartGart not initializing until after a few restarts but I am yet to test this theory.

Same here, I thought it might be the testing the card does or maybe it has something else to initialize? It's really annoying but it's not too big of a deal for me considering it only lasts a minute and only happens after the install.

This is normal. If you wait a little bit, the monitor should turn off and then back on again and everything will be back to normal.

If that doesn't happen on its own (which sometimes it doesnt), just set your refresh to one lower/higher than what you have, and then set it back. That will fix the slow problem.

This utility from ATI works great. Cleans everything off your system. When I use this between driver changes, everything works smooth as butta.

newster said:
I have the same exact problem. Surfing the net is like watching a slide show. Someone told me it was the SmartGart not initializing until after a few restarts but I am yet to test this theory.

I mentioned this in another thread and it is often the case, but not always.

you just have to wait for it to do its thing..no going around it.

it shouldnt take more than 2 mins or so at max (usually takes mine 30 seconds)

Back