Everytime I run anti vrus after restart computer goes into Repair mode

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
Long story, will try to keep simple. My computer last few weeks would just freeze up in Windows 7 every now and then, and could not ctrl-alt-dlt out of it, would need to press reset button on pc. And then a few times it would not go past the post boot screen, would state " Look for proper boot device to start Windows" So I restart it again, and 75% of the time it would boot up back into Windows no problem.

Well last night it froze up again, and nothing would get it back into Windows, always just hung there asking for proper boot device, no matter what, trying reset CMOS, moved cables around, etc..

Around this time my Asus Wireless Router started acting up to, my two Android phones could not connect to the WiFi. My Asus router is connected to my Comcast modem, both my PC's run through to the Asus router. When I turn WiFi on the Android's a ? pops up in the WiFI icon, which never happens, and it says Sign into Asus WiFi network, and directs me to the webpage for the router. But for years I never had to type in anything for the phone to connect to WiFi except the password of course just once when the phone is brand new.

So then, I dig out an older hard drive I had from last year, some 2 year old IBM solid state drive 80gb drive. I connect it up, it has Windows 7, boots up normal no problems, but needs to have all Windows and drivers made current and up to date. Everything is cool it restarts after updates installed.

Then...when I go to install AVG anti virus, it runs it checks, finds a dozen high threats and cleans them out, then says restart to finish, that's where the computer will not boot back into Windows, but instead goes into Repair mode, and recovery, and restores a back up from earlier before I ran the anti virus.

I tried this 4 different times, each time with a different anti virus program; AVG...McCafe...Microsoft...and every time after it cleans out the high threats it won't boot back up. but needs to do a restore.

I recommend doing a full wipe and reformat on the harddrive and then reinstall windows fresh from the windows 7 dvd.

But whats up with the Asus Router acting weird ? I pressed the tiny reset button on the back, but that didn't seem to help. Now I am directly connected to the Comcast modem, not using the Asus router :confused:

What is the model of your asus router? how old is it? it could be an issue with your router getting old, needing a firmware update, or both.
try finding your router's model on the asus site and follow instructions there to reset it.

I recommend doing a full wipe and reformat on the harddrive and then reinstall windows fresh from the windows 7 dvd.

Second

Sounds like when the anti-virus is deleting the infected files, it's also deleting something important( a crucial file for windows). Try running a virus scan one more time in safe mode, if you still have the same problem than looks like a full wipe will be necessary(Good Luck)

Back