Every 5800 series out of stock!

Nirad9er

2[H]4U
I can't believe every single 5800 series card is out of stock everywhere. This is the worst of seen in years. On newegg, the cheapest 5970 is 630 with HIS at 680. That is outrageous. What did AMD/ATI do, make like a 1000 cards for entire world. Im not looking to upgrade to DirectX11 until Battlefield Bad Company 2 (March '10). I'd probably go with a 5970 to take advantage of the DirectX11, but if Nvidia has something new with Directx11 that isn't out of stock then I'd go with that. When supply is so low and demand is so high it drives prices out of wack which is dumb. Nvidia needs something soon to bring everything back to normal.

I can't believe every single 5800 series card is out of stock everywhere. This is the worst of seen in years. On newegg, the cheapest 5970 is 630 with HIS at 680. That is outrageous. What did AMD/ATI do, make like a 1000 cards for entire world. Im not looking to upgrade to DirectX11 until Battlefield Bad Company 2 (March '10). I'd probably go with a 5970 to take advantage of the DirectX11, but if Nvidia has something new with Directx11 that isn't out of stock then I'd go with that. When supply is so low and demand is so high it drives prices out of wack which is dumb. Nvidia needs something soon to bring everything back to normal.

Should go look at ram prices. They have been going up about as quickly as the HD5000 series.

March?

When you're ready there will be plenty of cards to choose from at or below MSRP. No need to get upset about something you're not going to buy now.

Its the day after black friday.. the biggest retail day of the year BY FAR. What did you expect?

I guess i got lucky, I was in meetings all day a few weeks ago and I had a notebook in front of me. I was logged into newegg and just kept refreshing the list of 5800s, then an asus 5870 showed in the list that wasn't there before, In the list it said not in stock but when i went to the product page it let me add to cart!!! :) Such an awesome card.... :-P

Yeah, because 57XX and 58XX are the same right? ;)

I also like how he says "Wring" instead of "Wrong"...

and for those that haven't heard. Some ATi types have said that there will be a dramatic increase in 58XX supply in early December.

I also like how he says "Wring" instead of "Wrong"...

and for those that haven't heard. Some ATi types have said that there will be a dramatic increase in 58XX supply in early December.

I don't think it will be that soon, the shortage is due to TSMC production problems, a lot of places have got most of the stock trickling in going straight to pre orders, so to actually see them for sale on etailers sites in any great quantity is going to be a while.

TSMC last I heard were trying to get production back up for years end so it will be well into Jan before we see decent stock of any of these cards, IMO.

Yup, even if Nvidia releases parts, it won't matter because this is TSMC's foul-up. Their parts will be just as scarce as ATI's.

If you believe Charlie (I do), they were having good yields for several months on Cypress (reason there was a lot of stock in the first few weeks), and then TSMC introduced an undetected error and botched yields in the last couple months. So, instead of a steady trickle of parts like there was at launch, you've got absolutely nothing until they sort this out.

One other thing I have noticed: retail 4850 and 4870 cards are starting to disappear out of the major online stores, which says to me ATI has stopped shipping chips. I think ATI believed TSMC could deliver on parts, and stopped 4850/70 chip production in anticipation. So now, you can't easily buy anything from ATI above $100 (except a 4890, which has no 5XXX series replacement yet).

Last edited:
Merry Christmas, lol.
Video cards are the new Tickle Me Elmo.

Anyway what's up with ram prices? I was hoping to go 2x2 this year, but I guess not.

I don't think it will be that soon, the shortage is due to TSMC production problems, a lot of places have got most of the stock trickling in going straight to pre orders, so to actually see them for sale on etailers sites in any great quantity is going to be a while.

TSMC last I heard were trying to get production back up for years end so it will be well into Jan before we see decent stock of any of these cards, IMO.

this is from AMD's Vice President of Worldwide GPU and CPU sales.

"In the very near future, as we overcome supply constraints, we will be increasing shipments of 5800 series graphics processors by roughly an order of magnitude, moving from thousands of units shipped per week to tens of thousands. This should alleviate some of the pent-up demand."

http://www.driverheaven.net/news.php?newsid=322

this is from AMD's 5800-series Product Manager Dave Baumann:

Dave Baumann explained that right off the block, wafers were coming out every week. "Thousands per week with AIBs. Tens of thousands in the next weeks."

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1563212/amd-hd58xx-shortages

what are the actual MSRPs of the new 5800? Will this drive the prices back to normal or even below MSRP?

Even if it were in stock, you have no plans of buying one now anyway, so what's the point of getting butt hurt about it?

what are the actual MSRPs of the new 5800? Will this drive the prices back to normal or even below MSRP?

If I were a retailer, I would keep the prices the same (yes, even if supplies got better) until demand starts to drop.

Right now, lots of retailers have a backlog of customer to fulfill if its at a decent price (which can still be over retail, but not by too much). Why drop the price just because you have more cards to sell? Maybe the prices might drop 3 days after new inventory comes in. Maybe 3 weeks. They will drop at some point.

etailers can only afford to hike prices by £100+ per card because stock is so thin on the ground that all the enthusiasts that are scrambling for these cards will pay over the odds to get the card early rather than wait an unknown amount of time.

As soon as several stores have plenty of stock buyers can afford to wait for the price to come down, so one store undercuts another by a few pounds to make their card more attractive sale and then vice versa and the price war drives down the prices right back to RRP levels. It will probably happen over a week or 2 and drop in large £10-20 incriments.

When supply is so low and demand is so high it drives prices out of wack which is dumb.

This is called a free market my man. So no it's not dumb,it's called smart business. I'm sure if you the CEO,CFO are any other O at a retailer you would lower the prices right? Right.

My XFX 5870 crapped out over the weekend. XFX will RMA it, but I'm going to take a store credit instead of waiting for more 5870 cards to be released. For now, I'll use my old GTX 285 (glad I didn't sell it ;)) and wait a few months to see what comes down the pipeline.

Merry Christmas, lol.
Video cards are the new Tickle Me Elmo.

Anyway what's up with ram prices? I was hoping to go 2x2 this year, but I guess not.

Should jumped on it when it was $30-40 per kit... I knew prices that good couldn't last

I was going to post the 5870 I saw on Zipzoomfly.com. But erm..it's no longer showing as in stock.

So..um...they had one.

As an aside, it's been two or three years since I last ordered from them. But back then I always got decent service from them, although I never had to RMA anything to them either.

Actually RAM prices tend to be almost completely dictated by availability of the chips for that type of memory. There is very little technology in RAM it's just banks of memory, it falls in price very quick once it becomes popular and then shoots up in price during times of low supply. Its more or less whats happening now with GPUs. Happens much more frequently with RAM though and it tends to be even more aggressive as well.

... On newegg, the cheapest 5970 is 630 with HIS at 680. That is outrageous...

Actually $630 for the 5970 is really not that bad since the MSRP is $599 so a mere $31 markup. That works out to be 5.17% above MRSP during a production shortage.

Percentage wise, that's about half the increase for the lowest priced HD 5850 based on current MSRP. I believe the HD 5850's original MSRP was $259, then tack on another $20 for when AMD announced they would need to raise prices due to production shortage for a new MSRP of $279.

I would like to add nothing to this thread except that I already have a Sapphire 5970 OC and on Wednesday my ASUS 5970 will arrive to accompany it. :D :D :D

I'm thinking QuadFire benches + a GTX 295 for PhysX will be glorious.

Is this the part where the rest of us are suppose to stroke your ego and tell you how badass your PC is?

Is this the part where the rest of us are suppose to stroke your ego and tell you how badass your PC is?

This is the part where you congratulate me on having incredibly fortunate timing and way too much disposable income. But if you want to be an ass about it, sure, what you said.

It's called paper launch or best case soft launch. Nothing more nothing less. Many fans will be annoyed but it is what it is. I am simply a reporter.

It's called paper launch or best case soft launch. Nothing more nothing less. Many fans will be annoyed but it is what it is. I am simply a reporter.

no, its a failed launch. they did have the cards, they had the intentions of having the stock, they weren't putting a product out for the sake of having it out. Not saying that ATI doesn't share some blame here (why did they find out so late?) but a paper / soft launch really is something different.

Of course I am arguing terminology/semantics here, the bottom line is its fucked up. Still a paper launch implies something else (at least to me)

I kind of felt like a chump when I paid $275 for my Diamond 5850 in mid-October.

Then the production problems hit in earnest. I feel considerably less chumpy now. ;)

-Will

Lol Mr Reporter did you miss post #50 from the thread linked? I know you might get annoyed by this, Iam simply a messenger here.

Ordered a XFX 5850 from buy.com on the 25th when it showed in stock, I just emailed them for the status and they said it's on backorder and my card got charged! :(

My XFX 5870 crapped out over the weekend. XFX will RMA it, but I'm going to take a store credit instead of waiting for more 5870 cards to be released. For now, I'll use my old GTX 285 (glad I didn't sell it ;)) and wait a few months to see what comes down the pipeline.

You're saying you really just don't need it right now, and not that they don't have cards to send out for replacements, correct? Because the latter would be completely ridiculous.

If I were you I'd get a replacement and sell it on ebay. You'd probably get more than what you paid originally since prices have only been rising.

Back