Everquest 3 2028

Eh I think the MMO genre is dying. All they do is copy WoW basically and don't do anything innovating. I rather go back playing FFXI then any of the new crap.
 
Eh I think the MMO genre is dying. All they do is copy WoW basically and don't do anything innovating. I rather go back playing FFXI then any of the new crap.
purdy much. about once a year I fire up the Warcraft account to heal a few dungeons. Never lasts more than a month.
 
Eh I think the MMO genre is dying. All they do is copy WoW basically and don't do anything innovating. I rather go back playing FFXI then any of the new crap.
I don't think it is dying, there seem to be a number of MMOs, including WoW, with very healthy subscriber counts that just keep going. I think it is just an industry that is very hard for new players, and that includes things like a new version of an existing MMO, to break in to. People usually play only one MMO, there just isn't time to play more than one. Also, people often are pretty stuck on the game they play because of the time spent, and community aspects of it. So they aren't inclined to move to a new game, even if it is the "version 2" or "version 3" of the same game.

It's just not something that we are likely to see many new players in. Occasionally I'm sure something will come along and be a success, but I doubt this will be.
 
I wonder if any ideas from EQ Next will make it over. TBH I've long been a fan of Everquest and wouldn't mind if it reclaimed the MMO throne. I just think they would need to take some risks, and I don't think EQ Next was the kind of risk I had in mind. They should probably nix the building aspects and focus on making an awesome fantasy world.
 
I wonder if any ideas from EQ Next will make it over. TBH I've long been a fan of Everquest and wouldn't mind if it reclaimed the MMO throne. I just think they would need to take some risks, and I don't think EQ Next was the kind of risk I had in mind. They should probably nix the building aspects and focus on making an awesome fantasy world.
You know they will just copy FFXIV.
 
Im not gonna trust anything that comes out of daybreak studios.
 
Old studio is gone as well as most of the creative minds behind original EQ. While I miss EQ, I cannot play games like I did back then.
 
Enjoyed my EQ/EQ2 time back in the day, and in theory love the idea behind them.. but like Pantheon coming out, while I'm interested, I can't get too excited. I just don't have the time or energy to play for 3+ hours, most likely requiring a group just to get a level or two. Played on a fresh EQ time progression server a couple years back and it was fun, but once you hit ~40+ you're looking at multiple hours with mandatory groups just to get some leveling in.. and 30+ minutes of that is just shouting to the wind hoping others have room in a group, or are also looking at the exact same time as you are.

I miss the simple days of having unlimited free time, not needing to sleep and no real responsibilities ;p
 
Enjoyed my EQ/EQ2 time back in the day, and in theory love the idea behind them.. but like Pantheon coming out, while I'm interested, I can't get too excited. I just don't have the time or energy to play for 3+ hours, most likely requiring a group just to get a level or two. Played on a fresh EQ time progression server a couple years back and it was fun, but once you hit ~40+ you're looking at multiple hours with mandatory groups just to get some leveling in.. and 30+ minutes of that is just shouting to the wind hoping others have room in a group, or are also looking at the exact same time as you are.

I miss the simple days of having unlimited free time, not needing to sleep and no real responsibilities ;p
Right. Those magical times of dungeon diving with a group as a kid in EQ won't be recreated.
 
Bump posted a video in the first post that shows a 2028 release date and graph for H1Z1 and Mechwarrior along with Everquest 3.

I hope I'm around to see Everquest 3 I should go vegan.
 
I definitely agree with others that the genre is dying, and it sort of disappoints me.

Video games are about as antisocial as I've ever seen them in my lifetime. Sure, nerds like me played them back in the day when it was considered a hobby most would want to keep secret, but you still had arcades where you could converse with others. Then you had the leap to online games where there were servers with in game communities. And even the MMOs required communication and built communities.

Today, it seems like companies got rid of all of that. MMOs keep parties as small as humanly possible, with as little in game communication as possible. There are no more arcades, and while you are online, you're totally alone.
 
I definitely agree with others that the genre is dying, and it sort of disappoints me.

Video games are about as antisocial as I've ever seen them in my lifetime. Sure, nerds like me played them back in the day when it was considered a hobby most would want to keep secret, but you still had arcades where you could converse with others. Then you had the leap to online games where there were servers with in game communities. And even the MMOs required communication and built communities.

Today, it seems like companies got rid of all of that. MMOs keep parties as small as humanly possible, with as little in game communication as possible. There are no more arcades, and while you are online, you're totally alone.
100% agreed. I loved the social aspects of gaming, especially mmorpgs with guilds, and nowadays they try to minimize anything multiplayer or requiring any chat/coordination.

I especially miss large scale faction based territory control pvp aka rvr/wvw/ava being good :(.
 
At this point, I think I will stick with THJ. Not sure companies know how to make MMOs I would actually play and THJ has been a welcome surprise for me in the EQ Emu world.
 
100% agreed. I loved the social aspects of gaming, especially mmorpgs with guilds, and nowadays they try to minimize anything multiplayer or requiring any chat/coordination.

I especially miss large scale faction based territory control pvp aka rvr/wvw/ava being good :(.

It's a cultural shift. Back when online gaming was exploding starting in oh- 1999- Lifelong friendships were made. It was amazing. And the quality of players was better.

Can't go back. Also- these games are corporatized, derivative, and bland. There's been few new game concepts in AAA gaming for a decade or more.

There's a term for it: Enshitification.
 
And a lot of people who play MMO's nowadays don't seem to want to play as we once did in the past. Now if they aren't max level and in the best equipment in a week or less, it's a bad game.
 
It's a cultural shift. Back when online gaming was exploding starting in oh- 1999- Lifelong friendships were made. It was amazing. And the quality of players was better.

Can't go back. Also- these games are corporatized, derivative, and bland. There's been few new game concepts in AAA gaming for a decade or more.

There's a term for it: Enshitification.
Exactly. Especially the community and making lifelong friends. In game leveling took time and a lot of effort… months of determined work to get to the upper levels. Getting killed in game also had major consequences, losing significant experience and having to go find and reclaim all of your gear on your corpse before it rotted away.

Made lifelong friends with 3 New Zealanders, one who was the best man at my wedding. Very few games these days that even come close to the level of community building that those early MMORPGs fostered. Feel sad for this new generation of gamers not getting to experience that.
 
Will always remember the "Train to the entrance!" cries on Unrest in EQ1. Or the 4-hour corpse run in the Plane of Fear because the entire guild kept dying to the mobs before we could get our stuff. (GM finally despawned the zone so we could do it :) )
ALSO, remember taking 8+ months waiting for a Zordak Ragefire to show up in Skyfire for my cleric epic since everybody was trying to get him at the time and the spawn was around 72-hours (Random) and even when he popped sometimes there wasn't enough guildmates on to kill him before another guild got him.
 
Last edited:
Just based on this thread and discussions with my own (IRL) friends, there's clearly some demand for the "good old days" of MMO's. EQ Emu is still alive and well, from what I gather, but are there any new / soon-upcoming MMO's out there that aim to capture that "spirit" but with modern game mechanics and graphics, etc?
 
Just based on this thread and discussions with my own (IRL) friends, there's clearly some demand for the "good old days" of MMO's. EQ Emu is still alive and well, from what I gather, but are there any new / soon-upcoming MMO's out there that aim to capture that "spirit" but with modern game mechanics and graphics, etc?

I like many, spent thousands and thousands of hours in EQ1 etc. I often think about those days as the good ole days of MMO and how I wish for them back. I get excited when the prospect potentially arrives, then I come to my senses and realize no, i won't actually devote that type of time and pain into an MMO probably ever again. Rose tinted glasses.

The masses have had it too easy, myself included, and we won't ever get back to that in the same form.
 
I like many, spent thousands and thousands of hours in EQ1 etc. I often think about those days as the good ole days of MMO and how I wish for them back. I get excited when the prospect potentially arrives, then I come to my senses and realize no, i won't actually devote that type of time and pain into an MMO probably ever again. Rose tinted glasses.

The masses have had it too easy, myself included, and we won't ever get back to that in the same form.

Very fair point. The time commitment and level of grinding / patience required was certainly a defining factor of EQ1 gameplay. Can a modern game that is, frankly, "less boring" create a similar sense of community? I think it's what some of the newer "cosy MMO" games are going for, but they then fail to add enough of an incentive to continue playing.
 
Back
Top