Everquest 2 or FFIX????

Need help in making this decision. Love FFIX and never played Everquest 2. Was hoping there were a few MMO experts who have tried both out that could give me their opinion. Thank you and Merry Christmas.

If only between those two, I'd definitely go with Everquest 2

yea ive played ffo remember in my OP? I betaed the game and loved it! think ill give eq2 a shot though....

hmmm ok well ill def going to best buy tio buy the latest version and a time card...hope its good. also downloading the ffo trial to get a feel for it again.

.. I'd say FFXI.. although never played EQ2.
FFXI just has so much to offer.. but its not a newbie game D;
if you starting fresh, I assume that you know someone in game.. otherwise time to play EQ2.

well me and my big brother were thinking bout doing ffo all over again but soloing in ffo is not that hard. I actually enjoy being by myself lvling in ffo and in most mmos...but yea obviously you have to party in valkrum and jeuno

ok eq2 but why itd be nice to see some comparisons or pros cons

I haven't really played both for more than a couple of hours through trials, but from what I hear and experienced, FF is just no fun, the graphics are completely outdated, and very boring. Oh doh, haha, just remembered I tried FF on my 360 (it was 10 bucks on Gamestop and had a sick cover and box was heavy, couldn't pass it up), so that may lower it a lot.

EQ2 was really fun compared to WoW, but I didn't play the first one and didn't want to bother learning the ropes all from scratch. Also user forums seemed.. not right.

well i thought ffo graphics were nice and i thought it was very entertaining so our opinions vary greatly lol...thank you though for your input i do appreciate it...:)

well i thought ffo graphics were nice and i thought it was very entertaining so our opinions vary greatly lol...thank you though for your input i do appreciate it...:)

Yeah may be nice on the PC, not sure. I tried it on my older 360, I'm sure graphics were downscaled quite a bit.

From most of mmorpg I've played...
most likely its this compared to FFXI vs...most mmorpg

1. Party vs Soloable /w pots destroy multi mobs urself.
2. End Game contents that needs actual timing,strategy,positioning and mob control (well, this goes to anything you kill in FFXI)
vs
Zergling style, attack, drink pot as fast as you can and kill.
3. Story line(Cut scene) vs Quest Grinding with description.
4. Time needed to completion of what you want... Slow vs Fast
much more..

You can call me FFXI fan but I had not seen any MMO like FFXI.
Graphic is very out dated but contents of this game cannot be compared with any other mmorpgs I played.

Currently playing some free mmorpg called Runes of Magic(wow alike) until Aion or Soul & Blade or other Square-Enix(rumor says to be Rupture)

I'd have to agree, the story line in FFXI is one of the best ones in any MMORPG. Having played both EQ2 and FFXI (though the latter much longer), I'd have to say FFXI is a better choice if you have a lot of time to spend. It's a great game if you have the time to dedicate to it.. especially with the tons of new content being added each update.

Several years ago, I gave FFXI a whirl. I played it for about three weeks while I was in college. It was pretty much the slowest, most boring game I ever played. A typical play session went like this:

1. Log on. Check the mail, check the AH. Realize that I have nowhere near enough gil or mats to make or buy any decent equipment. Do some math and figure that it will take many hours of playtime and some serious luck in order to get enough gil or mats to make or buy decent equipment.

2. Run to the area that has mobs my level. Put up LFG flag.

3. Study/write papers while I wait for a party. Finding a party in FFXI generally took at least an hour, sometimes many more. I once wrote 2000 words on Aristotle while waiting for a party. There was a pronounced shortage of white mages on my server and it's impossible to solo in FFXI.

4. If I've been lucky and have managed to find a party with playtime left, I'd play until someone had to leave. Combat was awesome. We fought one monster at a time. The same monster. Over and over. And over. Then it's back to LFG/more studying.

5. Log off. If I was very lucky, I'd have gained a level.

I quit mostly because it was more fun to study in the library. At least there, I'd run into my friends.

If you take up FFXI, I suggest you also take up an alternative hobby that you can do while you wait for stuff to happen in FFXI. The game mostly consists of waiting. Lots and lots of waiting. You might as well learn to knit or write a novel or something while you're waiting. You absolutely cannot log in for less than two hours and hope to accomplish anything.

The game may have changed since I played it. That was my experience in... oh... 2003 or so.

I've never played EQ2, so I can't comment on that one. LotRO is great though.

Lotro was pretty bad...played it at launch for awhile

i've been playing EQ2 for close to 4 years now, love the game. graphics wise you can't even compare it to FF11, and with the new expansion the content is never ending

If I had to choose I would say EQ2 , FFO is just way to complex and the fact that you can't do anything without a party ... not to mention if you don't speak alittle japanese (most of the games players are) you are probably gonna end up frustrated. FFO has a pretty deep and tactical fighting/raiding system but its just not worth it for the work you have to put in it. EQ2 on the other hand seems more polished and personally I enjoy the story line for the everquest universe over the more shallow FF universe.

Get a 14 day trial offer with both games and see for yourself.

Well I have played FFO a lot so Im hip to that game its everquest 2 that I havent explored yet. Im a lvl 10 dirge so far in eq 2 and its alright i think ffo is more in depth than shallow my friend lol..i just feel more enjoyment playing ffo so far but im gonna keep playing eq2 till my subbie time has expired people keep telling me after lvl 20 it gets real fun so im hoping so

LOTRO is my favorite of all of them so far. Not sure what some people dislike about it, but the story quests are really cool, you can solo or group. Especially with the expansion they have some nice solo, 3man and 6 man instances that are challenging and fun. I've played EQ, Horizons, FFO, EQ2, WoW, Vanguard and no LOTRO. FFO was by far the most annoying grind-type game of them all imo. I actually enjoyed EQ2 but there were relatively so few people it almost felt like i was playing a normal solo RPG.

i hated lotro it was horrible

Lotro was pretty bad...played it at launch for awhile

i've been playing EQ2 for close to 4 years now, love the game. graphics wise you can't even compare it to FF11, and with the new expansion the content is never ending

At launch, they really made it really really good. Ofcourse, if you are a PVP dork, then no, it is not for you.

Well I did start having more fun playing EQ2 but I did go back to FFO and am having a blast like I thought I would lol....thanks everyone for the input.

I had a blast playing FFXI for a few years. Unfortuntantly, I eventually got to the point where I had done everything. 3 75s, lots of stuff 40-60, more gil than I knew what do to with, 90+ smithing, w/ subs, beaten dynamis, sky, most of sea, CoP, ToAU, etc. Unfortunantly, I got to the point where all was left was salvage and I didn't want to play 5 days a week for a year to get the last set of gear for my monk. I do miss it though, it was fun.

Back