Everquest 2 F2P is now live

Ocellaris

Fully [H]
Everquest 2 Extended is up and running right now. The service itself is still technically in beta as they get up to speed, however any character progress you make or content you purchase at this point will remain on your account once they pull the beta tag.

I started playing last night, I hope they make class packs available for sale without upgrading to a Gold account :eek:

Do you think my old lvl 30 ..something or other will still be there? or is this for new accounts only?

its on a new server so you character is not there. you can pay to transfer to the free server, not sure how much that is.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I've leveled around 30 guys to level 80 in EQ 2 from 6 boxing. It is not that much of a grind fest if you know where to level. The max is now 90. I quit over a year ago.

Any PvP in this game or is it all PvE? Might as well give it a shot since it's free...

The F2P server is PVE..I think the only PVP server now is Nagafen on the pay to play servers.

I got a migraine from the EQ2 free trial years ago :x The graphics or fov or whatever it was just made my head spin.

Played retail and won't do it again even if f2p. Thanks anyway.

LotrO on the other hand is great. Also f2p as of Sept. 10th.

The PvP is horrific. If you don't have god like pvp gear, you wont do one point of damage to someone who does. And I mean, not one point.

Hah what a joke! I had to install a whole different install instead of using the EQ2 build already on my system from the sub model. Not all races/classes are available, need to actually subscribe to get some items/options versus paying for just that option/item/race. Totally missed the concept of F2P, half the game is missing, LOTRO F2P kicks the crap out of this garbage. Do it right or not at all imo, I really can't believe that they didn't check out how DDO/LOTRO F2P was implemented and followed a similar pattern versus the half the game they are calling F2P. Same old SoE, glad they do not get my $ anymore, totally fubared EQ2 since launch and I expect nothing less than the same after seeing this on what they will do to Everquest Next. Total shame.

EDIT: Hah I just tried to say something in /ooc and got "Free to play players cannot use /ooc." Can use tells and say though. You'd think they would be try to be inticing new players/ and actual subs, not happening with this garbage. It is good however to keep my kid entertained smashing the keyboard.

Hah what a joke! I had to install a whole different install instead of using the EQ2 build already on my system from the sub model. Not all races/classes are available, need to actually subscribe to get some items/options versus paying for just that option/item/race. Totally missed the concept of F2P, half the game is missing, LOTRO F2P kicks the crap out of this garbage. Do it right or not at all imo, I really can't believe that they didn't check out how DDO/LOTRO F2P was implemented and followed a similar pattern versus the half the game they are calling F2P. Same old SoE, glad they do not get my $ anymore, totally fubared EQ2 since launch and I expect nothing less than the same after seeing this on what they will do to Everquest Next. Total shame.

EDIT: Hah I just tried to say something in /ooc and got "Free to play players cannot use /ooc." Can use tells and say though. You'd think they would be try to be inticing new players/ and actual subs, not happening with this garbage. It is good however to keep my kid entertained smashing the keyboard.

I do not mind the lack of free classes for F2P, however I think they are stupid to not make the classes available for purchase. From what I can tell, you can purchase race packs but not class packs. This makes no sense to me. I want to be a Ranger, the only way to get that is to upgrade to the $15 a month Gold Subscription. If I was going to spend $15 a month I would just play normal EQ2. They should just sell me the class for $10 or something, I would gladly pay it. I think EQ2X might be fishing too hard trying to get people to spend $15 a month instead of just offering everything separately.

Also I am pretty bummed that wearing a shield and running always cause the shield to clip through to hair of every human female in EQ2. So as I was running along, the shield was bouncing into her head and showing her hair over the shield. I changed hair styles, same thing. Shit like that is easy to fix, not sure why no one ever saw this as an issue :rolleyes:

I might start playing DDO instead of this. I rather hate the DDO UI though, and the controls feel muddy. Or I could just hold off until LOTRO hits, I already have levelled characters in LOTRO, hrmm...

Last edited:
The PvP is horrific. If you don't have god like pvp gear, you wont do one point of damage to someone who does. And I mean, not one point.

Sucks, I was interested in playing/trying out EQII, is it still worth trying out? Being an ex Wow and WAR player.

Still worth it to check it out.. hell it's free.

I rolled a Half Elf rogue... and I'm having fun.

What the hey.

6 boxing on a quad core does not work. When I go to a new area, 4 games will take 100% of a core each, leaving the two extra with 0% until it is done.

You don't need to pay until level 80 anyways. I never bought good items till the last 10 levels each time I maxed a group 6 boxing. It is great this way, no need to pay till the last tier.

Been playing this and LOTR back and forth since I saw this post, have been having alot of fun on EQ2x, not so much on lotr

out of pure curiosity, why?
Since you asked, LOTRO looks like shit, the character models make me think of Toon Town (which was an awesome game, but there you expected it).

I tried DDO but the lack of auto-attack makes that game useless in my eyes.

One reason is the graphics are much better I think, As well as more options for quests, and no quest wall at 20-22 (I am already lvl 29 on eq2, i would be grinding by now in lotro) Also I enjoy the comunity in eq2 better, I dont see many people around in lotro. Found a good guild in eq2, was not able to in lotro.
The only issues I have with eq2 is the lack of in game mail, and not being able to buy off of the broker (dont care about selling) I could use the broker though if i wanted to use RL money to buy "broker tokens" Also there are ways around to be able to get free "station cash" if I really wanted to use the broker.
Also really like how the housing works in eq2, much more refined and more customizable to your tastes.
I basicly quit playing lotro at lvl 15 because I was bored... I am still having fun and looking forward to logging into eq2.

So is the F2P worth it? I've never played EQ2 before, and it says you get to have 2 char slots and a selection of 8 classes. Is it infested with bots or spam or anything like that? How's the gameplay overall?

Yes, True, haven't seen any, good/fun especialy if you find a good guild.

I played for a bit, and got a wizard to lvl 7. Its enjoyable playing in eyefinity, but i really thought the graphics would look much better than what I'm seeing. There is massive clipping with my characters robe and it just doesn't look polished. When i first heard about EQ2 i heard that its graphics were really good. Maybe is just because I tried (and shortly uninstalled) FFXIV recently?

Since you asked, LOTRO looks like shit, the character models make me think of Toon Town (which was an awesome game, but there you expected it).

I tried DDO but the lack of auto-attack makes that game useless in my eyes.

Last time I played DDO there was still auto attack. You need to click on the 'auto-attack' button in your hotbar. It isn't as good as normal attacking though, you don't get quite the superb control.

Anyone still playing this? I kinda want to get back into it and play with some people.

Is this game more fun that WOW? I played F2P WOW to about level 6 and was too bored to continue.

I imagine making everquest1 F2P would be a coding nightmare.

I still occasionally get on with my 6 box. That game is fairly demanding so I have to give it 6 hard drives, 6 cpu cores, and 1.5GB of RAM per instance. Two PCs do the job well.

I am trying out ever quest 2 and so far the only thing that sucks is they keep spamming me with upgrade to silver.

I tried it out about 2 months ago. Quickly got bored with it , I played EQ1 for years and enjoyed it but I've never really liked EQ2 in any form.

Back