Even Online makes the HD 4870 X2 sing like a jet

Technikal

Gawd
I've been trying the Eve Online trial and have noticed that in fullscreen mode no matter the resolution 1280x1024 to 2560x1600 it make my HD 4870 X2 fan speed jump to 40%+ which is well beyond annoying. But put the game in a window and play in whatever resolution the game seems to look the same but the card fan speed is much quieter. The temp is about the same most of the time almost about 80 degrees to almost 90.

Why so much difference in stupid noise between window mode and fullscreen in this game and other games?

The game is pushing 10 years old and I've seen it run and look just as good on older video cards and hardware and much quieter.

Thanks

Last edited:
Because in windowed mode only 1 gpu is being used and your clocks are 2d (500 core vs 750 in 3d mode). So MUCH less heat. The fact that it's heating up a lot is actually good meaning that the engine of eve is using the gpu to the max for smooth fps. 90c is an ok temperature for the hd4870x2 but I suggest you buy the accelero hd4870x2 when it comes out soon (like every other hd4870x2 user will do as well).

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2_0&mID=244

That cooler would add alot of heat to my case. Sapphire has a pretty weak warranty as it is. 2 years and can't add a 3rd party cooler I'll bet.

But to get rid of the noise I might just do it but not if I have to add more fans to get rid of the heat these stupid new cards put out.

(Includes Nvidia they are no better)

Last edited:
That cooler will spill alot of heat into my case plus void the warranty. Sapphire has a pretty weak warranty as it is. 2 years and can't add a 3rd party cooler I'll bet. AMD and partners have some real confidence in these cards.. rolls eyes

But to get rid of the god awful noise I might just do it but not if I have to add more fans to get rid of the massive heat these stupid new cards put out.

(Includes Nvidia they are no better)

If you make sure you feed the card with plenty of fresh air the fans won't have to ramp up that much. But then if your room is like 30+C then noise would be the least of your concerns.

Also, If you don't think you need the speed go to Overdrive and dial down the 3D mode clock to cool things down.

Uh EVE's game engine is actually pretty current, they just released a major update awhile back and only a few weeks ago completely did away with the classic client. So it'll definitely make use of your video card. Trinity graphics update:

http://www.eveonline.com/trinity/index.html

Just confirming what was said above about the Eve-o engine, it is very current however the old one was much in need of an update :p Great game :)

you must have a silent PC...
i tuned my x2's fan to idle at 35% and i cant tell a difference. it jumps to ~80% in 3d and thats when you REALLY hear it. good thing i have a decent sound setup.

you dont need any aftermarket coolers, just tune the fan speeds. this card runs HOT. it was designed to run hot. all temps youre getting are intended and not harmful...i dont see what the problem is. tune the stock fan %'s or get a better speaker system or headphones cause this baby can get loud if needed.

you must have a silent PC...
i tuned my x2's fan to idle at 35% and i cant tell a difference. it jumps to ~80% in 3d and thats when you REALLY hear it. good thing i have a decent sound setup.

you dont need any aftermarket coolers, just tune the fan speeds. this card runs HOT. it was designed to run hot. all temps youre getting are intended and not harmful...i dont see what the problem is. tune the stock fan %'s or get a better speaker system or headphones cause this baby can get loud if needed.
All my fans are noctuas in a cm stacker T01 case and once hd4870x2 goes above 34-39% it is annoyingly loud to me (and I don't like to blast my speakers either).

I want a ferrari that get's 100 mpg too, you just can't have everything. :p

I set my 4870x2 at 51% fan speed when I play on or offline and it keeps the card plenty cool without firing up the afterburner five minutes into the game.

Back