Eve: Valkyrie

USMCGrunt

2[H]4U
Just got done playing a few rounds online with the DK2 and I gotta say, combat flight sim in VR is just as cool as I always imagined it to be. I seriously can't wait to try it out on the consumer model. The SDE completely bleeds away, don't even notice it so I can only imagine how much better it will look on a slightly higher res screen at a higher refresh rate. I did notice an odd feeling though. During the flights, which involves whipping your ship ALLLL over the place, I felt fine. It was during the fade to black and after action report that I felt a very slight bit of nausea, nothing serious enough to require a break but it was still there. Might just be acclimation as I haven't used my DK2 in a very long time and need to reacquire my 'VR legs' but it's still something to note.

It definitely seems like one of the more impressive launch titles, I'm looking forward to trying it out (is it April yet?). I've been holding off playing Elite: Dangerous until I have a headset, and I'm hoping No Man's Sky eventually gets support (sounds like it might not at launch).

The main thing I'm worried about is the relatively low resolution of Rift/Vive. Sounds like it wasn't something that immediately ruined immersion for you, at the very least, which is great to hear.

The main thing I'm worried about is the relatively low resolution of Rift/Vive. Sounds like it wasn't something that immediately ruined immersion for you, at the very least, which is great to hear.
I don't think Eve is really trying to induce presence, or if it is, I don't feel it, I don't feel like I'm actually in a spaceship dogfighting other ships. That said, head tracking isn't something you have to remind yourself of, you just do it and it works and everything is great. I attempted to concentrate on the limited FOV but I honestly couldn't. As soon as you start playing the game the edges of the HMD bleed away and I can see everything I want to see. The interface outside of flight needs some work, some interface items are huge while others that should be more prominent are pushed to the peripheral. The looking to select stuff is neat but I think it'd be better to have a more compressed UI outside of combat. These are really pretty minor complaints that could be resolved with the retail release or is just a lesson to be learned in VR game development. The SDE of the DK2 isn't noticeable as you are playing the game but I've noticed that when I take off the headset, the game feed on my monitor (it outputs to both the monitor and HMD at the same time) looks different. I'm not sure if its color variation between the two panels or pixel density or what but it's different.

I'm really looking forward to Adr1ft though both Eve and Lucky's Tail look like they will be pretty fun. Sadly, my Oculus Rift pre-order is for July though there may be some headsets on here to buy.

Back