EVE Online

Meester

n00b
EVE-Online-Rubicon-Sisters-of-EVE-Ships.jpg

382a0fef82.png

EVE Online is an MMORPG created by CCP Games in 2003. It's one of the most unique MMO's to date, due to the unorthodox stance on player control. A lot of the focus in EVE is on player decisions. Players ultimately decide which big alliances win and lose wars. Players decide which regions get what items, and what to sell them at. Players decide when and where to stage their fights, and how to fight. Players make the economy in EVE happen. Players decide a lot of things in EVE, and that's what makes it so unique. There are no character levels, nor is there any definitive endgame. The endgame is whatever you decide it is. The focus of the game is to build your own adventure, and it achieves that very well.

Some would say that EVE is Microsoft Excel in space, but the truth is, it's merely a deception simulator with spaceships. Espionage, corporate backstabbings, and counterintelligence are regular things in EVE, and are fully supported and endorsed by the developers. Ultimately, the players with the most experience and wits about them emerge as the victors.

Command empires in lawless space, become a trading magnate and determine the economies across the vast reaches of space, or become a pirate and roam in low-security space, catching and killing anybody who crosses your path. Maybe even decide to let them go if they can tell you a funny joke. The possibilities are limitless, as long as you have the imagination and the determination to make it all happen. Trade, mine, salvage, run missions, go exploring in wormholes, etc etc. The list of things to do in this game is incredible.

The game is updated quite regularly, and every major expansion is FREE. It has both FTP [Alpha, though its more like an extended trial] and subscription [Omega] of which Omega gives you the full features [can fly more ships etc]. The game is NOT P2W. The only microtransactions in EVE are for cosmetic items such as clothes for your character or ship skins. In the future you will be able to buy skillpoints which are skimmed off existing characters with diminishing returns the more skillpoints a character has, as said before experience and skill win the day in eve and hopefully newer players will be able to catch up if not in experience then in skillpoints to veteran players, buying skillpoints via isk.
90ea3cca58.png

There are four playable races in EVE. Each race has their own unique strengths and weaknesses. The four races are as follows: Amarr, Caldari, Minmatar, Gallente. The Jove Directorate is a fifth non-playable race. Each race favors certain styles of combat, but ultimately, race isn't a deciding factor in what you can and can't do. In the early days of EVE, your race determined what kind of skills you started with (some character builds were more geared towards mining, or trading, or using missiles). Nowadays, the only thing race affects is character appearance, and what racial frigate and frigate skill you start with.

36342f8ad5.png
6e419a4dee.png
9774ee85e8.png
2c21b118c6.png

e65503a28b.png

SKILL TRAINING

In EVE, there are no character levels. Rather than grind to level up in a particular area, EVE has a system known as skill training. Every module and ship in EVE has a prerequisite amount of skills and levels per skill. To meet those requirements, you purchase the skills you need off of the market, and begin training them. Some skills have prerequisite skills that must be trained beforehand. This is a unique system, because it does not require any player input beyond adding the skills and the necessary levels to a queue and waiting. You can log off and go to work or school, and your character will still be training as long as you fill the queue regularly. You could seriously only log in once and fill your queue for a decade and not log in until it's done. Just remember that you shouldn't wait for a skill to complete before playing, as you can do things from the get-go.

CORE FITTING SKILLS
All skills in these categories will give you access to more powergrid, CPU, and capacitor energy. Train them up if you have issues fitting something on your ship!

0ffbeac231.png
28118236ce.png
6de74a20ae.png
1439f4a318.png
0971bed52b.png
633fcaf116.png
e435e37db9.png
9a2c080ab0.png

I HIGHLY recommend skilling these up to level 3 or 4. Level 5 is great, but having these all at 4 is wonderful and will give you a lot of wiggle room with your fittings, letting you use more efficient and powerful fits for your ships.

There are ways to speed up skill training time, which is achieved through the use of attribute enhancing cybernetic implants and neural remaps. The time on a skill is ultimately determined by your character's attributes (Intelligence, Perception, etc). Every skill relies on at least two of your attributes, and the higher they are, the faster it will train. By using implants, you can modify a particular attribute up to an additional maximum of 5 points. This can be further enhanced with a neural remap. All characters start with the same attributes, but they also start with two available remaps. A remap allows you to alter the point allocation of your attributes. The catch is, however, once you burn through all of your remaps, you have to wait a full year before one becomes available again (or turn a PLEX into one). What a lot of people do is use third-party programs like EVEMon to build a year long plan, and then use a feature in EVEMon to best plot the necessary attribute points so a remap isn't wasted.

COMBAT

All combat in EVE is point-and-click. Recently, however, the option for keyboard controlled movement has been added. There's a variety of fighting styles in EVE, and it all varies based on ship type and what it's fit with. There are quite a few weapons in the game, and their categories are as follows.

43a4272e33.png
5020b68167.png
42f78037b7.png
2ae4706fa4.png
86499bfc31.png

As you can see, the weapons in EVE are quite extensive. Each race specializes in particular weapons as well. The Caldari use Railguns and Missiles. The Gallente use Blasters and Drones. The Amarr use Energy Turrets and Drones, and the Minmatar use Projectile Turrets and a variety of tanks. Each weapon system and tank provides unique playstyles. For example, you can fit a speed-tank Rifter (Minmatar frigate). Minmatar ships are extremely nimble and very fast, making them ideal for speed tanks (a type of tank where the sheer speed and low electromagnetic footprint of your ship allows you to take very little damage).

The Caldari are more geared towards mission running and PvE activities. Missiles aren't that great for PvP, but for PvE, the Caldari are gods. The Raven is a heavy, slow missile boat that hurls Cruise missiles at its targets, and relies on its' heavy shields to sustain all incoming damage.

TANKING

Tanking refers to the ability to absorb damage, and in EVE, tanks are taken very seriously. It's serious business. Don't armor tank a ship that has a bonus for shields, and if you do, don't post your fit here or you'll end up getting yelled at and we will run you out of the thread. Seriously. It's happened before. There's three types of tanking: armor, shield and hull [seriously its good now, fit for buffer], and two subsets: active and passive.

2042e3e307.png
8e90108f8b.png
06b2d79edd.png
b97fde6503.png

Tanking in EVE boils down to three factors: damage resistances, damage sustenance, and total incoming damage. Tanks in EVE are rated by DPS against particular damage types. For example, to survive a Level 4 mission, it's practical to have at least 500 DPS on your tank. The first part to tanking against damage is to find your ship's most vulnerable damage resistance. On Caldari ships this is almost always EM damage. Once you figure out where your ships resistance gaps are, that's when you patch them up with modules like shield hardeners or armor hardeners. Passive shield tanks hit their peak recharge rate around 33% shield capacity. If your passive tank falls below that line, your tank is cracked and you should probably get out before you get blown up.

So, what's the best tank to use? For PvE, active shield tanks will provide the highest likelihood of survivability in a nasty mission. There's a few exceptions to this, though. The Caldari Drake is pretty much a brick, in that it's passive tank is pretty crazy. The Drake, when fit properly, can easily tank a Level 4 mission. For PvP, it's all about buffer. You want to build your tank around the idea of maximizing your effective HP (Effective HP factors in damage resistances). As long as you have more hitpoints than the other guy, you'll probably win.
e1c265f640.png

There are tons of useful, third-party resources available for everyone to use. Below is a list of all of the major ones. These tools and resources range from skill training companions, to fitting tools and mission guides. Use these resources! They're by far the most useful things you'll ever have for EVE.

8cc7232d01.png
aa6348e3b3.png
50f1285be3.png

UNIWiki: Probably the best place to find out about various eve online game mechanics, made by rookie pilot learning alliance Eve University.
EFT: EVE Fitting Tool is a lightweight program that allows you to link a multitude of characters to it by using API keys. With this program, you can fit a ship exactly the way you want it and see how your character's skills make use of the modules. I highly recommend using this program to theorycraft a fit just to make sure your character has the right fitting skills to use it. The original creator is gone so someone else is updating it.
EVEHQ: EveHQ is an open source application designed to be an all-in-one management tool for use with EVE Online. Pilot information, skill training, market prices, Requisitions (shopping lists), a full suite of asset and market tools, fitting tools, and wormhole tools are included. Plus its updated often.
Pyfa: Pyfa is similar to EFT, but it has a more modern interface. It does everything that EFT can do, but a little bit more.
Osmium: Another eve fitting too, this time online based.
EVE Droid: EVE Droid is a character monitor program just like EVEMon, but it's intended for use on Android devices. This program is very useful for monitoring your skill queue (and even reading EVE Mails!) outside of EVE when you're on-the-go.
zKillboard: zKillboard is a killboard where people can post their kills and losses. and where people can look up the kills and losses of other characters, systems and items [such as types of ships].
EVEMarketer: [EVEMarketer contains the market data from all regions of eve to help you find the best prices across all of New Eden.
EVE IPH Industry Calculator: EVE IPH Calculator takes information from your characters API, eve-central, datadump to determine the best isk per hour from Blueprints, Reactions, Datacores & Mining.
7097dd5a72.png

eve_online___citadel__astrahus_by_vollhov-dabq8y4.jpg

Minmatar_Blue_Tiger.jpg

Naga_Texture_1980x1080.jpg

SPACE_POLICE.jpg

IMPADDON.png

Last edited:
I haven't played in years. Is the number of individual players still declining while the number of alt accounts rises?:(

I remember running 8 characters for 1.0 carebear mining ops, ahhh, still miss that relaxing/cathartic game...

2335016192_6003c39c4c.jpg

What is EVE. A second job where you spend a huge amount of time creating and reading spreadsheets, trying to screw over other people and avoid getting ass-slammed yourself.

With occasional bits of epic (and epically slow) ship combat.

Thank haloguy234 from facepunch, I just added the pictures and media and a couple of extras to the original article.

I haven't played in years. Is the number of individual players still declining while the number of alt accounts rises?:(

Was declining but then again the nerfs to ISBoxer and the addition of jump fatigue/new sov has helped in that regard not that I think jump fatigay is a bad thing since capitals can use stargates these days. CCP will adjust it fairly soon [next month I think]. I was going to wait for citadels and capital rebalance to come out myself but I might try and make a head start just before Christmas. Theres a Blood Raider special event ongoing atm too, Blood Raider Abaddon skins and Blood Raider Cerebral Accelerators for their Halloween event. Eve is still going strong though, they are getting new servers, new backend structure to the game regarding brain in the box, which they have been testing recently. The day off-grid gang links are no longer with us, is a step closer!

Current sov map

influence.png

CCP's current roadmap [the in-word these days] - http://updates.eveonline.com/?_ga=1.147530356.27099217.1445981851

Last edited:
What is EVE. A second job where you spend a huge amount of time creating and reading spreadsheets, trying to screw over other people and avoid getting ass-slammed yourself.

With occasional bits of epic (and epically slow) ship combat.

EVE stands for Excel vs Excel.

Also, the pretty pictures of the spaceships are not in any way shape or form representative of actual gameplay.

EVE PvP is basically just squares attacking other squares with crappy looking laser beams.

2011.05.22.01.37.16.jpg

I remember playing EVE for about 7 months until I realized I was playing for my character to be offline to skill up. I'll never forget hitting the 3 month skill to use a battleship I spent a month saving for running missions and salvaging.

I met some good folks that I still talk to today. First rule when starting EVE is to find yourself a good corporation to join and learn the ropes. Going solo is very lonely and frustrating.

Played for over 2 years but not for 3-4 years. Looks like lots of new ships. Good to see Triumvirate still kicking around, loved my time in lowsec/null sec. Was a prick to get to sometimes though if you needed to head to highsec.

Keen to get back in to it. Yes, joining corp/alliance is way to go, you don't survive in the 0.0 space otherwise. Many great times and some huge battles back then, was in one of the record breakers for its' time. Crazy lag fest though.

What new ships are shown in the pictures above with the force field ring things around them?

Also, the pretty pictures of the spaceships are not in any way shape or form representative of actual gameplay.

EVE PvP is basically just squares attacking other squares with crappy looking laser beams.

So to prove your point, you picked out an absolutely ancient screenshot. Eve's graphics have come a long way since then.

As for gameplay, well it continues to evolve and improve. Eve has never been an "arcade" style spaceship game, so it's not at all twitchy. But if you think it's "just squares attacking other squares" you obviously haven't been paying attention.

What new ships are shown in the pictures above with the force field ring things around them?

Those are the new Sisters-of-Eve faction ships. They were intended to be used primarily by explorers in deep wormhole space, bonused for exploration and stealth, with a focus on lengthy excursions without frequent docking/resupplying.

Those are SOE [Sisters of EVE] ships [[Stratios and Astero], can be used with cov ops cloaks though the Nestor battleship cannot [its more of a remote rep/refitting tool].

Lol that's a pretty old looking picture, its obvious you havn't played for a bit :p

Those are the new Sisters-of-Eve faction ships. They were intended to be used primarily by explorers in deep wormhole space, bonused for exploration and stealth, with a focus on lengthy excursions without frequent docking/resupplying.

Thanks for that. Wormhole space being a new expansion to the existing 0.0 space?

Guess it's not possible to capture/sov those areas?
Love the idea of more exploration though. Cov ops cloaking on them sounds great too..

Lol that's a pretty old looking picture, its obvious you havn't played for a bit :p

Haha yeap! That's what it looked like when I played, left shortly before they introduced the new graphics refresh. Donkeys years ago.

I just sold my main for 200 bil (yes, billion) but don't really play anymore, though I still have 2 more chars.

I guess I'll just buy 10 years of plex and keep training =/

Wormhole space being a new expansion to the existing 0.0 space? Donkeys years ago.

Wormhole space is indeed no security space however it is also fairly unique space, we tend to call it w-space instead of k-space [which is known space]. It arrived with Apocrypha back in March 2009. Wormholes appear all over the place, can send you pretty much anywhere [including the same system you entered it] and there are mass limitations to the wormholes [i.e a battleship can close one sooner than a frigate] and there are different classes of wormhole systems and sometimes they have environmental effects which affect certain aspects of a ships attributes [so black holes affect ship velocity etc]. You cannot officially claim them as such but you can claim to claim them :D

Sleepers and some drifters inhabit these places and are the source of tech 3 cruisers and destroyers. I tend to only go there when looking for tech 2 salvage at relic sites. You can also potentially get trapped there forever if you decide not to self-destruct your capsule [wormhole closes on you and you have no probes left]. I do like exploration in eve, I think its done pretty well, hope CCP continue to improve it.

I just sold my main for 200 bil

That's enough to afford an XL citadel not an XL citadel blueprint when they come out however ^-^

Last edited:
Warms my heart to see that CVA earned decent space back and carries on with the deeply civil NRDS.

Also good to see some alliances of old still being around:
<3 C0VEN & AAA

Good times past indeed!

I sold all my chars for ISK a couple years back, then all the ISK for cash. Not going back, but have fond memories for sure.

Is there any way to check my character's hangar inventories etc while offline/out of game if my account is inactive? I'm thinking about renewing my sub but I can't remember what I have/don't have and what I'd need to round up and buy etc. Game says I'm in a capsule in high-sec space. Not sure if that's because I got podded last time I was in, or what :p

oh puleaz

zoom ffs

Is there any way to check my character's hangar inventories etc while offline/out of game if my account is inactive? I'm thinking about renewing my sub but I can't remember what I have/don't have and what I'd need to round up and buy etc. Game says I'm in a capsule in high-sec space. Not sure if that's because I got podded last time I was in, or what :p

Disregard, I missed inactive account. I am not sure if there is a way.

Disregard, I missed inactive account. I am not sure if there is a way.

I'm thinking there's not. I might resub for the reduced price and see what I've got and see if I can get into any trouble with it. If not, I'll just let the sub lapse lol...on another note, PLEX is over 1bn isk now. Last time I played it was like 600m :D

EVE is one of those games that's far more interesting to read about than actually play.

Here's to hoping EVE Valkyrie ends up being good.

EVE is one of those games that's far more interesting to read about than actually play.

Oh, I don't know. I think it depends on what the group of people that you with are like and what you're doing in game.

I was part of a small PVP corp for 5 or 6 years and it's some of my fondest gaming memories. I enjoyed the heck out of it. https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/No_Trademark_(Player_corporation)

Now that I'm older with a family, I just don't have the time anymore. It's a massive time sync, but worth it if you're with the right people.

it comes and goes, theres been a lot of recent changes that have happened that old timers aren't happy with because of the "fuck change" mentality. but i'd say game play wise Eve's in the best place it's been in for years if you're not an F1 monkey that wants content fed to you instead of finding it yourself and it's only getting better with the changes that'll be happening late winter/early spring with current player owned stations eventually being removed and being replaced by medium large and x-large citadel's, along with a massive capital ship update/rework.

Been at least 5-6 years since I've played, some of my best gaming memories was learning how to pvp. I joined a few small pirate corps and got the opportunity to join the infamous feared Black Rabbits what an experience. I am also older with 2 kids these days so my hardcore gaming days are over but I definitely had a lot of fun playing Eve.

(\_/)
(&#402;;..; )&#402;
('') ('')

I think I got something like 185 steps into the tutorial and walked away from it.

When I started playing back in 2004, I didn't bother with any tutorial :cool:

lol pre 2009 tutorial was the best.. create your account.. go get your noob ship.. good luck figuring the game out.. :p

now a days it's pretty easy given the last 12 years there's literally nothing you can't find by using google. eve's definitely a community driven game though, the dev's hand you the basics and the basic information needed, players handle the rest of it. helps weed out the lazy people that expect everything to be handed to them on a silver platter.

Guy wardecced a corp with an inactive pos in high sec, he hit the jackpot [yes those are t2 bpos].

LGpwD6Q.png

Guy wardecced a corp with an inactive pos in high sec, he hit the jackpot [yes those are t2 bpos].

[IMG.]http://i.imgur.com/LGpwD6Q.png[./IMG]

yeah saw it on reddit.. to bad the guys dumb as rocks.. has an infinite supply of isk in his hands and has no idea how to use it.. sell the capital BPO's, buy a manufacturing alt to print out copies of the T2 BPO's and he's set for life in the game.

Don't play this. It is cancer. It will destroy you.

Source: 2003 bittervet. Used to have 16 active accounts until CCP banned input broadcasting via ISBoxer.

theres been a lot of recent changes that have happened that old timers aren't happy with because of the "fuck change" mentality
Not really. It's more like CCP never anticipated that the game would run 12 years and they literally don't know what to do with it now. Essentially, they don't want to sleep in the bed they've made.

EVE's whole premise is that what you build over time has value. Well, right now there's a relatively small but passionate player-base, many of which have been at this for years, and the result is that the gulf between vets and newbies is just paralyzing at this point, even with diminishing returns imposed by the exponential time nature of the skill system and other mechanics.

Most of the changes these days are effectively buffs to newbies and nerfs to veterans. While I totally understand why CCP wants to make the game more appealing to newbies, they're undermining much of the investments of time and effort made by the more established playerbase at the same time. The new proposed skill packet mechanic is basically CCP admitting that 50m SP is the new baseline to do much of anything, and if you're willing to dump real money into the game or are even remotely upper-middle class as far as ISK is concerned, it's 80m SP.

I just log in once a week to check skills and I talk to my friends while ship spinning. I keep my sub going because :stockholm syndrome:

Well the latest update Parallax has been released with the beta directional and scan probe window to go along with CCP's beta map. I'll probably just stick with the proper ones until all the kinks have been knocked out [though they are surprisingly workable].
Sov structures get passive regeneration of control, jump fatigue has been reduced [too much in the other direction if you ask me] and most importantly brain in the box has been added which means that things like - The wing commander of a fleet receives now fleet bonuses from the fleet booster - is now possible.
Oh and new audio menu in a kind of quasi-jukebox return, yay!

Used to have 16 active accounts

ISBoxer had it coming!

I just log in once a week to check skills and I talk to my friends while ship spinning. I keep my sub going because :stockholm syndrome:

Can I haz your skills? Oh wait...we cannot do that yet :p
I still sub cos of the premise of greater space strategy and mmo interaction

I actually came here looking for Eve advice and there being a thread here is kinda funny and awesome at the same time.

So 4 years ago when I quit Eve after playing from early 2004 to 2011 I had 7 accounts. I was so fed up with the game eating my life and pissed at the game updates that were basically destroying everything I liked doing in the game that I took measures to prevent my return. I sold all my characters of value and gave all my assets and isk away to friends which at the time was around 250 billion not counting the BPO's and assets lol.

Fast forward to 2 days ago and I activate one of my accounts and create a new character to look around and see whats new. Well now I am staying for a while (although I swear I am just going to be a casual player this time.) Here is my dilemma though. Which race do I start out as? I am going to be stuck with that races ships until I get my core skills down and able to run lvl 4 missions or equiv. for money.

My first instinct was just go Caldari. I had several 100mil+ sp Caldari characters and am pretty familiar with the legacy ship fits and uses for both pvp and pve. But I also kinda have the itch to try something new. I had a Minmatar alt on that account that had ~1mil sp that was used for cargo transport and a cyno. I just paid the $20 to start training on a second character for a month and have him going too until I make up my mind. Of course after the fact it hits me that it takes much much longer to train a Minmatar up to the same job as any other race because of the nature of their ships. Also, running lvl 4 missions with a Minmatar ship is pretty masochistic.

So honestly I have a month to decide. Should I stick with what I know or try something new?

So honestly I have a month to decide. Should I stick with what I know or try something new?

Really that is only something you can decide though you should maybe look at future changes and the aesthetics of the ships to decide things. What race do you actually like, who to you has the best lore? Who do you sympathise with, what was your interaction in the past with those races?

For example svipul tech 3 destroyers are pretty Op right now though they will get a nerf, there are also the future capital changes to consider, so do you prefer Wyverns to Hels?

Also eve first person camera, this coupled with the key flight will make for an immersive experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75zFaEvzuDM

Back