Ethernet throughput

nitrobass24

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - December 2009
What would be faster?

1 1000baseT link or
2 100baseT links using 802.3ad lacp

Im trying to stream blurays from a network share to the tv.

In order to answer you'll need to provide more information. Are you coming from a single disk or an array of disks in a RAID configuration? If RAID, what's the config? What type of NIC(s) are you using with what type of switch? What's the device that would be receiving the stream for the TV?

Single SATA 7200rpm disk

Nics:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106015

I have 4 of these, two are on the server with 1000baseT aggregated links already, one is on my desktop(not relevant).
I have one left and im thinking about putting it into my HTPC(tv) but i only have 1 cat5 cable available at this location from the main switch. So i can either do 1 1000baseT link, or i can recrimp the end of the cable with two rj-45 jacks and have two 100baseT links over the same physical cable because 100baseT only uses two pairs, where as 1000baseT uses all 4 pairs.

Use single gigabit. Your transfer is going to be limited by the single drive you're reading from so there's no need to complicate it with anything else.

Also, make sure you have CAT5e or CAT6 as CAT5 isn't rated for gigabit speeds anyway.

ok thats what i was thinking as well but i just wanted to get someone elses thoughts

thanks for the help

Blu-ray has a data rate maximum of 48 Mb/second. In theory - a single 100base-t link will work. In practice... maybe if its just the host and the player on the network.

1 gbit connection ought to handle it just fine - but like stated above - your disks throughput (which must not go below about 5 megabytes/second. Its not out of the question for a fragged drive to txfr slower than that.

if i were considering a upgrade for some new drives what should i get and what raid should i use for max read performance over the network?

Blu-ray has a data rate maximum of 48 Mb/second. In theory - a single 100base-t link will work. In practice... maybe if its just the host and the player on the network.

1 gbit connection ought to handle it just fine - but like stated above - your disks throughput (which must not go below about 5 megabytes/second. Its not out of the question for a fragged drive to txfr slower than that.

In practice you also don't actually get 100mb/s either. I would go Gig if for nothing other than the added bandwidth for overhead and miscellaneous traffic that you aren't aware of.

100 Mb ethernet = 8MB/s throughput (actual)
1000 Mb ethernet = 80MB/s throughput (actual)

that's with tcp/ip overhead

harddrives get 40-100+ MB/s

a decent hard drive will saturate a 100Mb FA link easily.

Back