Ethernet Switch Recommendation?

Frank4d

Gawd
I am designing a test system that has three 8-bit ethernet microcontrollers http://www.rabbitsemiconductor.com/products/rcm4200 connected through FPGAs to some non-standard serial buses transmitting and receiving 16-bit serial data at 1Mbps clock, at some data rate (maybe up to 500 messages/sec each). A PC connected to the ethernet switch will send commands to the three microcontrollers, and will process the data they send. The PC is a Core 2 Duo at tbd speed with tbd RAM, and software to talk via ethernet will be an .exe compiled from C++ source code. Based on years of experience I think the PC can keep up, but I don't know about the ethernet switch.

I don't think a $50 5-port Linksys or D-Link home switch is going to handle this, it needs to buffer data so messages don't get lost. I don't need a router or DHCP server, just a decent switch.

Any ideas? This is for work so money is no object (but would like to keep it under $2000).

Cisco is a tried and true option for reliable performance, but personally I'd recommend looking at HP Procurves. They've got a lot of models that can do several million PPS at extremely low latencies which sounds like something you're looking for. Their price is quite reasonable for what you get.

I'll take a look at HP Procurves. I already tried the Cisco website and went away more confused than when I started.

Back