Ethernet chord length

Diddy

n00b
Hey guys. I ran ethernet wire through my attic to my computer, which is roughly 90ft. from my router. I am using the standard Verizon DSL router, and from that I use a hardwire/wireless router. The wireless router is used for my laptop, but the 90ft. of ethernet chord is used to hardwire my computer. When I play CS, I often get ping spikes of up to 800...I'm so confused I don't know what I can do to lower my ping/latency. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

~Jay

Cat5 and Cat5E can go upto 100 meters, or about 330 feet. One thing that you may want to look into, is to see if the cable is near any thing in the attic that could be putting out nasty Electro Magnetic Feilds. Which could cause distortion of the data on the wire. Which would make the PC and or router have to resend data and thus increacing the ping in your games.

Thank you Tormentor. Another thing I think I will be doing is buying a network card instead of running it through my motherboard. I checked on my Linksys router, and it has a history of running slow, both wireless and hardwire. A ethernet card solved both problems.

Thanks,

~Jay

Another thing to consider is "auto detect". While you probably can't do anything about it on the Linksys router you can force 100Full on your PCs network connection that will help with bandwidth. No one has good autodetect algorithms.

Back