Ethereum Mining at 44MH/s with RX Vega

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Legit Reviews got their hands dirty this weekend with tweaking an RX Vega 64 LIquid and Claymore's Dual Ethereum Miner. To push the 44MH/s you still need a lot of power with these Vega cards. However you can tweak a bit and get the power way down while not giving up as many hashes as you might think.

We took the Radeon RX Vega 64 Liquid model and lowered the power limit to see what would happen. Lowering it beyond 30% dropped Ethereum mining performance just slightly, but not by much. The power draw of the GPU decreased dramatically though and this is what we were after. At a -50% power limit we were stilling getting 37.6 MH/s of performance with the entire system pulling just 266 Watts. This is a 172W decrease in power consumption from the stock 0% power limit setting and the card itself was consuming roughly 172W instead of 344W. The cards Hashes per Watt went from 0.09 to 0.14, so this is a nice improvement in power efficiency without hurting ethereum mining performance too badly.

37.5mh @ 266 watts is only net 1.42 USD per day which is always decreasing per week. These will never make money unless you hold ETH and it quadruples in price but if you are already bought one it might be ok to offset the price a bit.

what's funny is you can pick up two 1060 6GB cards for a net cost of $20 cheaper than a Vega 64, and both cards together will still use less power than a vega 64.

1060 6GB will do about 22Mhash @ 110W, with the memory cranked up.

44Mhash @ 220W vs 37 Mhash @ 266W, hard choice.

what's funny is you can pick up two 1060 6GB cards for a net cost of $20 cheaper than a Vega 64, and both cards together will still use less power than a vega 64.

For someone that games and only mines while not using their PC the sual 1060's suck ass compared to the Vega 64. So, there's that.

37.5mh @ 266 watts is only net 1.42 USD per day which is always decreasing per week. These will never make money unless you hold ETH and it quadruples in price but if you are already bought one it might be ok to offset the price a bit.

I agree that the "worthwhile" aspect of vega is nearly pointless for mining... some extra perspective: according to cryptocompara that vega would be able to earn $1.80 per day *after* the cost of power @ the national average of 12 cents per kwh

calculator: https://www.cryptocompare.com/minin...nit=MH/s&PowerConsumption=260&CostPerkWh=0.12

For someone that games and only mines while not using their PC the sual 1060's suck ass compared to the Vega 64. So, there's that.

I don't game on 1060's but they are an excellent option for someone who wants to game on a budget, they pack a good punch for just about anything 1080p. As for mining: i have six 1060 3GB cards churning away as part of my little nicehash farm, the funny part is each card only costs 30% of what a single vega 64 cost, but they return 66% profit wise of what a Vega 64 can do.

The way I see collegeboy69us to me it not worth paying $700+ nor play the mining game as the way I see it if goes like this ? right.
Base on your calculator link
Profit per month $ 53.74
Mined/month Ξ 0.2549
Power cost/Month $ 22.98
So I make 30.76 after everything is said and done then you have add in the cost of GPU at $700+ that will take you roughly 24 month just pay it of with running 24 hours a day is rigth

$1 and change a day...

Just buy the damn coin and not worry about the cost of power or the cards. If an income increase of $30 a month after the cost of the cards and power has been factored in, is actually enough to impact your life in any meaningful way, you've got other things that should likely be prioritized.

The way I see collegeboy69us to me it not worth paying $700+ nor play the mining game as the way I see it if goes like this ? right.
Base on your calculator link
Profit per month $ 53.74
Mined/month Ξ 0.2549
Power cost/Month $ 22.98
So I make 30.76 after everything is said and done then you have add in the cost of GPU at $700+ that will take you roughly 24 month just pay it of with running 24 hours a day is rigth

If you plugged in numbers specific to you - probably. Plugging in 44Mhash, 260W power use and the national 12 cents per kwh, the numbers I'm getting is $67.87 per month profit after paying for electricity. Keep in mind mining ETH doesn't use the full TDP of the card. Also have to remember profitability goes down with time as difficulty increases, you might make $67 the first month, and only 60 the next, or however it works out.

If mining is your main focus, it's totally not worth it. If you want Vega for gaming or professional work, then there's nothing wrong with running the card at night while you sleep and getting some free coin. Can always hedge the future value and see if it skyrockets just for fun.

My entire setup is basically hobby level, it's fun to build/tweak and it more than pays for itself, I don't ever expect to buy the "Bitcoin lambo" as people like to joke, but it's helping me pay off my Volt far far faster, for essentially zero effort.

I got super into it because electricity is dirt cheap here in N. Texas - I pay 7 cents per kwh delivered. At least 1/2 of what someone in say CA might pay easily.

Eth is not the most profitable coin to mine and hasn't been for awhile now. Using custom miners and dual mining for specific algo's boosts profit considerably. Mining and trading thousands of shitcoins with prospect is also lucrative. Exchanges/websites keep popping up and expanding, ico's drawing in fraudsters and speculators, ETF's being OKed in many countries, major banks and global companies adopting blockchain tech, gov regulation on the horizon. I could keep going. Better get used to it, crypto mining isn't going anywhere especially with whats being done to currencies around the globe.

But collegeboy69us that still that going to take a good long 13 to 16 months time frame just recoup that cost of card the problem is things change so fast it not a good long term option and god help you if there bitcoin bubble crash.
Here where I live in Vinita, Ok I think it about 8/9 cent per kwh just tab bit more then you.
Sadly I'm going to have to disagree with you on this (If you want Vega for gaming) because it doesn't make any sense with the Vega 64 at $700 nor Vega 56 at $550 which is $150+ over original MSRP which did make more sense at time but not any more over GTX 1070 at $425 or even GTX 1080 at $550, GTX 1080 Ti at $710 which maybe still a better value sense in long run as of right now.
Any case you have you been watch the RX 580 which has just started to come down off it high hose price gouging there even management to keep them in stock now.
As long as I don't have any more issues or break down by christmas time I should have just over $300 save up which take all year to do and hope the price will come back down I wouldn't mine getting RX Vega 56 at $400.
Now as for (professional work) that a diff story.

Last edited:

Except that if you read the article you'd see that 266W is whole system consumption while 172W is the estimated GPU consumption. So it's 37Mhash@172W.

http://www.legitreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/vega-mining-performance2-645x608.png

But collegeboy69us that still that going to take a good long 13 to 16 months time frame just recoup that cost of card the problem is things change so fast it not a good long term option and god help you if there bitcoin bubble crash.
Here where I live in Vinita, Ok I think it about 8/9 cent per kwh just tab bit more then you.
Sadly I'm going to have to disagree with you on this (If you want Vega for gaming) because it doesn't make any sense with the Vega 64 at $700 nor Vega 56 at $550 which is $150+ over original MSRP which did make more sense at time but not any more over GTX 1070 at $425 or even GTX 1080 at $550, GTX 1080 Ti at $710 which maybe still a better value sense in long run as of right now.
Any case you have you been watch the RX 580 which has just started to come down off it high hose price gouging there even management to keep them in stock now.
As long as I don't have any more issues or break down by christmas time I should have just over $300 save up which take all year to do and hope the price will come back down I wouldn't mine getting RX Vega 56 at $400.
Now as for (professional work) that a diff story.

Not really sure what you are disagreeing about -- I already said that vega with it's current price, power, and profitability make zero sense if you are buying it FOR mining. Even justifying it for gaming is a hard stretch seeing as how for the same price you can get a 1080Ti that will blow it's doors off. There are people out there who are die hard AMD guys, and will go for it, good for them. Once you have the hardware nothing wrong with generating some free income when you aren't using it, no matter what card you go with.

All my GPU purchases were before the boom, and the few I did get during were used or picked up via Craigslist/Offerup for a steal of a price, even when I was expanding my farm if ROI was anything over ~5 months I had no interest in it. And I moved away from ETH mining long ago, dabbled in ZEC made some good money, now in my laziness I just nicehash->BTC and cashout at pre-determined intervals.

Looks like Monero is the current darling for the Vega56 at about 2,000 h/ps per card at reduced power draw. But that, to me, doesn't explain the absurdly high prices these cards are going for right now? $800 per card on ebay closing?

Looks like they are making about $4.50 per day net right now according to a monero mining calculator I used.

That's not enough profit to make it worth $800 compared to the simpler 1080TI or 1070 right? What am I missing?

That's not enough profit to make it worth $800 compared to the simpler 1080TI or 1070 right? What am I missing?
I never seen reach $800 the must I seen them reach $710 to $750 ball park with both 56 and 64 air cooled model.

Yeah... Heres my listing on eBay that sold recently: https://www.ebay.com/itm/PowerColor-AMD-Radeon-RX-Vega-56-GPU/232583925425

I bought the Vega 56 last month from microcenter as an open box for $314 + tax. I sold it on ebay after I saw what they were going for for a nice $710..

Now I know the reasoning... Prior, to this thread, I had no idea why they were surging in price.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back