Etherchannel

bencho

2[H]4U
Hey,

Just curious. I have some Linksys 5 port switches made by cisco at home. They are 10/100.
My mobo is an asus a8n-sli premium. It's got dual gbit rj45's. I have a similar system with the same mobo. Now I can just google linking up two pc's with a rollover cable. However, the max transfer speed btw the two would be 100. Do these little switches support etherchannel or would it just create a broadcast storm?

Highly unlikely that your switch will support etherchannel. A rollover cable is what you use to console to Cisco devices. I don't know what you mean there. You would just use a patch cable to connect both NICs on your PC to the switch. It wouldn't create a broadcast storm, not sure why you think that, you would just end up with two IP addresses, one per NIC.

You'd use a rollover cable to connect two pc's for file sharing etc and since I have two identical mobos that support gbit speeds I'd max speed. I was just curious if this setup would work::

PC1 -- cat5 -- Switch1 -- 2 cat5 cables -- Switch 2 -- PC2

Sure I could just buy a rollover and directly connect the two pc's but I got my CCNA and BSCI and am studying for more cisco certs. So I'm just learning etherchannels and was wondering what is the lowest level switches (that dont cost hundreds or thousands). I'm just throwing this out there for curiosity's sake :)

Go buy a cheap gigabit switch and call it a day. I like the little netgear prosafe switches, if you need a recommendation.

If you would like to buy one off me let me know. I have a 5 port switch that I'd like to sell so I can replace it with an 8 or 12 port switch.

You'd use a rollover cable to connect two pc's for file sharing etc and since I have two identical mobos that support gbit speeds I'd max speed. I was just curious if this setup would work::

PC1 -- cat5 -- Switch1 -- 2 cat5 cables -- Switch 2 -- PC2

Sure I could just buy a rollover and directly connect the two pc's but I got my CCNA and BSCI and am studying for more cisco certs. So I'm just learning etherchannels and was wondering what is the lowest level switches (that dont cost hundreds or thousands). I'm just throwing this out there for curiosity's sake :)

That's a crossover, not rollover.

Also, BSCI is an exam, not a certification. I find it shocking that you have your CCNA and have passed the BSCI after reading this thread...

Oh sorry, that slipped my mind, you are correct :(
I know the bsci is not a cert. I'm also studying for the CCNA security and voip certs...

It's got dual gbit rj45's. I have a similar system with the same mobo. Now I can just google linking up two pc's with a rollover cable. However, the max transfer speed btw the two would be 100.

If you have two machines, each with gig nics, and a crossover between them, you'd be looking at max transfer speed of 1000Mb, not 100Mb.

Sigh... I'm just making myself look quite unintelligent with this thread with typos and mistakes.
Quite disheartening :\

If it's just two machines, then yes... a crossover cable will work great.

I keep a small crossover adapter in my tech bag so that any piece of patch is converted to crossover in a pinch.

most (if not all?) gigabit switches will support Auto/MDI-X.

This is basically auto-sensing to see if you have a striaght through or cross-over cable connected.
Either way, it will determine which pairs to use and use them accordinly (so if you are going from gigabit switch to gigabit switch uplink, you can use a straight-through cable..

or you can use a crossover cable between a gig client/PC, and a gig switch.

you should still keep crossover cables handy though, for legacy applications with 10/100mbit switches.

Back