Etherchannel Setup

jtr8178

Limp Gawd
Here is my situation: We have 28 IP based camera's for a security system running off one server (Windows Server 2008). We have this server hooked up to our 48 port PoE switch that is only 100 Mbps. We have to turn down the Fps to around 12 Fps to accomodate the 100 Mbps switch (Cisco Catalyst 3560 switch I think).

Anyhow, I have 2 options:

1) Upgrade to a 1 Gbps switch
2) Utilize a Etherchannel setup

Option #1 isn't happening right now, since we don't own our gear and rent it from a vendor (Long story).

Option #2 is what I would like to try, but I've never done this before. Do I just need to install a second NIC and then get the switch configured properly for Etherchannel? Is there any special setup I would need to do in terms of purchasing the correct NIC or server side setup?

Any advice/comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

If it's a 3560, it should have two gig ports correct? I assume you've thought of this, but can you move things around to free up those interfaces and then switch them to access mode and get gig connectivity?

You may need a GLC-T, but one can be had off eBay if you're in a pinch for <100$.

what kind of resolution are you running those cameras at?

As long as the server is plugged into a gigabit uplink port that switch should be able to handle it. 1080p streams dont use up 100Mbps

If it is a 3560 it has two interfaces that you might not recognize. They are made for SFP modules and you can get the modules with either a copper or fiber interface. The modules simply plug in and should have no affect on your equipment rental. I can't believe anybody rents equipment anymore. What a scam.

Nope, I hadn't thought to look. Sure enough, there are 4 SFP-based gigabyte ethernet ports.

I'll just figure out the correct part # for the SFP, get one ordered, and give it a try.

Thanks guys!

Oh yea, renting does blow ... I'm getting raped every month, plus we have some really old gear that is starting to give us headaches. I'll be glad when this contract is up and we purchase new stuff and kick these guys to the curb.

Don't buy a module yet!

If you have four ports they're still two interfaces, but cisco installed a "glc t" rj45 port under the module slot. Just plug in a UTP cable and you're good to go :). It'll be gi0/1 in configuration

Back