ESXi Whitebox Backup

DlStreamnet

Limp Gawd
Hi guys,

Brief rundown:
ESXI 5.0, Intel Xeon 1230, 16GB of RAM, 3x 250GB HDD's for VM's.
Hardware passthrough PCIE Sata Card to Open Indiana - 5x 1TB HDD's.

1x Server 2012 Essentials
1x PFSense
1x Open Indiana

What's the best backup solution? I have just bought another 3TB WD RED to complete this. I am not too concerned about losing the VM's in all fairness so I was going to attach the 3TB to VMware, create a 2.8TB usable VMDK and then hook that up to 2012 Essentials and then map all my important drives.

Is there a better way however? I.e. could I backup the VM's and all the OpenIndiana files? I like the idea of having them legible by any computer by just attaching the disc hence why I went for the way I have proposed.

Thanks all!

Use ghettovcb would be the cheapest (free) and best option. Most backup products that work well (Veeam, etc) require the paid version of ESXi.

Use ghettovcb would be the cheapest (free) and best option. Most backup products that work well (Veeam, etc) require the paid version of ESXi.

Veeam is also an expensive/paid solution as well.

I gave up on saving VM's, I can't afford the storage right now.

In stead I passed through the USB 3.0 controller to server 2012, and setup cobian to just backup the files every day at 5am. Nothing changes regularly so I'm happy with this solution :) Also gives me the ability to just unplug it and take it with me if I ever go away or w/e.

Thanks anyway!

Unitrends has a version of their Enterprise Backup virtual appliance that is free for up to 4 VMs. They also offer a *very* easy to get NFR license that is completely unrestricted and free.

Back