ESXi - Share Host's datastore with another host

nry

Limp Gawd
I have a little lab I have setup with two ESXi hosts, and using vSphere trial I have put them into a cluster and some other overly complex networking setup.

All just to experiment as I have quite a bit of free time at the moment.

I have my master ESXi system which hosts the vSA, pfSense, Ubuntu (for iSCSI) and Cacti VMs. This also has a 3TB disk in.
My second ESXi system has no disks what so ever, I have PXE booted it using iPXE and have the 4GB LUN on my Ubuntu VM. This boots no problem :)

I would have thought you could share a hosts datastore with other ESXi hosts in the same cluster. Is this not possible?
Or do you need the datastore to be on an iSCSI target to share it?

iSCSI or NFS, but you need something, whether it's VMware's VSA, StorMagic's SvSAN, Napp-IT or something like them to make that disk available to another host.

Ah ok cheers

I passed through one of my SATA controllers to my Ubuntu VM, setup a iSCSI volume on that then added it to my hosts.

Seems to be working, can't use vMotion but never mind.

vMotion should work as long as that iSCSI mount is on both hosts that you're trying to vMotion between.

Didn't really think about it, don't really need it anyway.

Added another intel host in and using one of the settings in the link I posted I can migrate a live host between the two intel hosts no problem.

Back