ESXi raid problem

Onions

n00b
So today i decided to move the ESXi installation from a regular 400gb sata drive to a usb stick, since i have a NAS with a few sas drives that i planned on having the hosts on.

Thing is i have a encrypted 12 drive raid 5 as passthrough to a debian on the previous ESXi installation.

So i figured i remove the drives during the installation. But i don´t remove the raid card it self. Just unplugged the sas cables.

It installs fine on the 8gb usb stick i have. I finnish the install and it tells me to reboot. So i put the sas cables back on to the raid card. When i boot up ESXi i see that there is a datastore on the raid.

Could ESXi really have created a datastore on my raid at the first boot up?

I always unplug all drives that i have stuff on during the installations. But ive always thought it to be safe after the installation has finnished. I did not see anything during the startup that it would create a datastore on them. And the raid card did not advertise the raid during the install since only the usb stick showed up as valid install points during install.

Second question. I do have the luks header saved. But the question is if and how i can recover the raid.

As always i should have had the stuff backed up. But its hard to have 15tb backed up when your on a tight budget.

I actually managed to restore the raid. Put in a backup of the header and let fsck do its job. So getting a screenshot is going to be hard. The wierd thing is that it created a partion of 1tb. And i never ever got any sort of confirmation that esxi were going to do that. And during install the drives were not even plugged in.

Back