ESXi + Rackable c2004 + Which RAID controller?

Karandras

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey,
Not sure where to post this, figured the OS section would be the best. I have a Rackable c2004 server with an HDAMA rev.G mobo. The server came with a 3ware 9500s RAID controller however ESXi does not support that controller, which is weird. Anyways, I tried an Adaptec 2410 controller but it seems to be incompatible with that motherboard as the controller works fine in my computer but the kernel keeps failing to start in the server.

So here is my question: Is there someone out there that purchased one of the c2004 rackable servers at some point and installed ESXi on it with a 4 port SATA RAID controller that is a decent price that works properly?

Thanks.

Hey thanks for the info, however I went through this list: http://www.vm-help.com/esx40i/esx40_whitebox_HCL.php and found the Adaptec 2410 RAID controller as one that was compatible. I purchased that controller on ebay but found that it isn't compatible with the rackable c2004 HDAMA mobo. So that brings be back to this post hoping that someone out there on [H] has done this same setup and can give me some tid bits on which controller worked in the board and with ESXi.

Thanks again though.

Back