ESXi questions....

Angry

Limp Gawd
So Ive started to play with ESXi 4.1 and seem to be doing good so far after having used Workstation for so long in Windows.

I do have a few issues.
Ive setup a WinXP VM for testing stuff in as Ive setup this whole shebang on a spare rig (939 nForce4,2gb ram, 3800x2...mixed HDD's) and do plan to fully move to ESXi from workstation on the server when I do my server upgrade.

First issue, I swapped out 2x 74gb Raptors that were in raid 0 in my main machine to this ESXi box, and I cannot seem to add them as storage, I get an error when selecting one of the raptors. However, a 3rd raptor that was never in raid and already partitioned out with various OS's (its a benching drive) added just fine.
Do I need to take the 2x74gb raptors back out and format them or at least partition them? I couldnt find a way to do it in Vphere.

2nd issue, I plan to move my DD-WRT x86 Workstation image to ESXi, via the vmware converter. Whats the best way to get it to ESXi? Just copy it to one of the data stores like you would OS ISOs?

3rd, I was under the impression you could add devices like network cards, and dedicate them to specific VM's. I added a 2nd NIC, and it does not seem to be showing up at all. I know it works. DD-WRT X86 is going to need this, 1 NIC for the modem input, and another possibly if not shared via the current one for out put to the network switch, both physical and virtual...I assume. Right now it works via Workstation and a virtual switch connects even the physical host, which hasnt been an issue but does take some time sometimes to get all the machines connected even after the DD-wrt X86 VM has been running and ready.

I was also under the impression you needed two NICs, one for Vphere login, and one for VM network /virtual connection. Right now its all running off the buildt in nforce4 NIC and Im sure will get pretty taxed by its lonesome self.

You have to un raid your raptor before use them as single disk. For your Nic problem, you have to configure it in the server and asign it to a network in Vsphere

1. You can use a program like gparted to repartion and format.
2. Look for VMware Converter..works great.
3. The nic needs to be supported ..what model nic is it?

3. I've tried a realtekk based nic and a Intel based Nic, both just regular nics, not gigabit.

Do you think a single gigabit NIC will be enuff for a dedicated game sever in one of the VMs and a few. Other VMs?

What is the VLAN option exactly?

An explanation of VLAN is here:
http://www.petri.co.il/csc_setup_a_vlan_on_a_cisco_switch.htm

As far as performance .... "it depends" on many factors.
If you want full network performance from a VM, set aside
a physical gigabit NIC just for it and use it for nothing else but that VM.
That won't help much if outside the host you have a troubled network (high latency/low bandwidth)

No one can tell you for sure until al variables are known - number of connecting
users ... over local/wide area netwroks ...... number of hops, bandwidth .... amount
of latency ... list goes on...you get the point?

Try it with one shared NIC .... add a dedicated if needed.

I sincerely doubt you'd need more than a single gigabit nic for what you're talking about, but, if they're cheap and you can do it... why not get two :>.

I need to fully upgrade my network back to gigabit, Im running off an old Cisco 2900XL 24 port switch at the moment, and while it is a tank, it doesnt manage more than 11.5mbs that Ive seen.

Already watching some gigabit switches on ebay, and will be grabbing some Intel gigabit nics like the one linked above for other machines.

And thanks for the link on VLAN, I dont think Im going to need it now that I full understand exactly what it is.

Right now Im trying to install ESXi 4.1 on a old Dell poweredge 1750 as I had to take the test rig back to gaming duty for friend that came over last night, this is the only other spare machine i have at the moment heh, it will have to do. Downloading the DELL ESXi ISO now, I couldnt get the regular one to install, comes up with:
"Booting: MBI=0x000100c0, entry=0x0040024a"

And then just sits there....

A Dell Poweredge 1750 may work with ESXi 3.5 (32bit).
It may be too old for 4.1+ (64bit) due to removed drivers and
lack of VT-x support on the processor for 64bit guest.

If you are only running 32bit guest, give 3.5 a try.

EDIT - I kind of worded that badly .... VT-x is not a requirement unless
you run 64bit guest (which you really want to be able to do going forward).

Main concern on the 1750 is the type of processor and storage controller.
If the NIC is a gigabit, it should be fine (broadcomm or intel)

Last edited:
Ah ok, yeah no 64bit support, but im only planning to test using the poweredge, both VMs in testing will be 32bit. I will give 3.5 a try

Sweetness, 3.5 is installing just as normal so far. And yeah BTW it has two broadcom NICs.

...Now if only I could find that other 2gb of PC2100 ECC....

So, I converted my Workstation Image of DD-WRTX86 to ESXi directly with the converter, and when starting the DD-WRT X86 VM, it seems to power on, but CPU use age goes way up, and I cant seem to get the console to come up. So I cant see what DD-WRT X86 is doing...

This is with ESXi 3.5 on a poweredge 1750.....is this a ESXi 3.5 thing?

And Im using VMware Infrastructure client, not Vphere.

Okay... started creating at WInXp VM....and no console. Console tab is completely blank....

Last edited:
Minimum of 4GB ... but try to find 8GB (max for 1750?)
Ultimately it depends on your VM requiements.

Yeah... network performance is not your issue right now ;)

Anyone know if this motherboard would support VT-d?

http://www.tyan.com/product_board_detail.aspx?pid=453

AMD = IOMMU
INTEL = VT-d

A quick glance at the manual for that board show IOMMU options in the BIOS;
however, this may or may not mean you will actually be able to use it the way
you wish.

Something I noticed ... that board is end of life and populating memory will
probably cost you a pretty penny .... to the point you may as well buy a new
entry level server from a major vendor.

Marvel Chipset LAN ??? Interesting.

I was reading your other post on AMD= IOMMU
heh, thanks for that clarification.
Actually, DDR2 ECC Reg is somewhat cheaper on ebay, and the cpus are dirt cheap.

Back