• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

ESXI Question

ToddW2

2[H]4U
Joined
Nov 8, 2004
Messages
4,017
I`m not really sure how ESXI works yet, but I`m wondering if this is possible.

1. Install ESXI

2. Install Windows 7 VM

3. Install Linux VM#1

Can I be sitting locally at the console logged into Win7 for gaming, and have my linux VM working in the background ?

Or can I run a "real" Win7 with ESXI inside, and linux Vms that way ?

I want the Linux VM for misc development work, MySQL DB stuff, etc, all test/development, and if possible retain the system for gaming when I want to game :D
 
Running a virtual win7 is fine as long as you don't need high-frame rate (you'd be better off running a remote desktop session to get to the win7 VM). If you want to do high-frame rate gaming, you would have win7 be the hypervisor, but not running esxi in it (that makes no sense.) In that case, I'd install virtualbox under win7 and create your linux VM inside virtualbox.
 
You could alternately run your Linux VM on Win 7 with VMWare Player
 
You will not be able to game though the console or a remote desktop connection, thats not what its made for.

Your best option is to Install VirtualBox in a Native Win7 environment.
 
Running a virtual win7 is fine as long as you don't need high-frame rate (you'd be better off running a remote desktop session to get to the win7 VM). If you want to do high-frame rate gaming, you would have win7 be the hypervisor, but not running esxi in it (that makes no sense.) In that case, I'd install virtualbox under win7 and create your linux VM inside virtualbox.

VirtualBox sounds doable.

How are resource allocation in virtual box with Win7 running ?

The system has a ton of RAM, so I can utilize it for MySQL in my Linux VM, but I`m hoping the SSD access isn't affected by the VM environment ?


(I7-920, 24gb DDR3, 80GB Intel G2 SSD, WD Black & Others for Storage)
 
I doubt there would be an issue if you have plenty of ram and a fast multithread CPU :)
 
+1 to VirtualBox or Vmware Server
For database server - I say 2 vCPUs and 8gb of ram. Add more ram for higher loads
Make sure to use 64 bit versions of linux ;)
 
I`m not really sure how ESXI works yet, but I`m wondering if this is possible.

1. Install ESXI

2. Install Windows 7 VM

3. Install Linux VM#1

Can I be sitting locally at the console logged into Win7 for gaming, and have my linux VM working in the background ?

Or can I run a "real" Win7 with ESXI inside, and linux Vms that way ?

I want the Linux VM for misc development work, MySQL DB stuff, etc, all test/development, and if possible retain the system for gaming when I want to game :D

I recommend a win7 box for all your gaming, then a dedicated server box to run ESXi. Of course it can all be done on the same box, I just prefer the dedicated server approach myself.
 
If your Desktop has a good amount of Memory, a good storage and recent cpu, I recommend you go the way of a Windows 7 (x64) box, with VMware Workstation 8. In it you can create your Linux vms and create a Nested set of ESXi (if you want the ESXi to learn and test and lab).

With Workstation 8 you can run ESXi as a VM and run 32bit/64bit VMs inside it.

Workstation 8 also now allows you to run VMs on other Workstation 8 enabled boxes and have the console displayed directly on your own system.

My Dual Intel E5520 with 24GB was running 7 VMs (2 DC, 3 SQL (Testing SQL Failover) a vCenter and an ESXi).
 
If your Desktop has a good amount of Memory, a good storage and recent cpu, I recommend you go the way of a Windows 7 (x64) box, with VMware Workstation 8. In it you can create your Linux vms and create a Nested set of ESXi (if you want the ESXi to learn and test and lab).

With Workstation 8 you can run ESXi as a VM and run 32bit/64bit VMs inside it.

Workstation 8 also now allows you to run VMs on other Workstation 8 enabled boxes and have the console displayed directly on your own system.

My Dual Intel E5520 with 24GB was running 7 VMs (2 DC, 3 SQL (Testing SQL Failover) a vCenter and an ESXi).

Have you used VMware Workstation 8 ? It looks like it just came out.

I`m happy with VMWare Fusion on my MAC, is Workstation 8 essentially the same for a PC ?
 
Have you used VMware Workstation 8 ? It looks like it just came out.
I`m happy with VMWare Fusion on my MAC, is Workstation 8 essentially the same for a PC ?

Workstation 8 is the PC the equivalent of Fusion 4 for the MAC.
I've been using Workstation 8 since early beta and just like Fusion 4 they are huge improvements over the previous releases. It's well worth the upgrade.

- VM running Hypervisor with embedded 64bit VM
- Test Windows 8 Preview
- MicroCloud
- Access other Workstation 8 VMs via Shared VM.
 
Back
Top