ESXi, OmniOS, ZFS, napp-it - Changing IP Address Breaks NFS Shares?

raiderj

Limp Gawd
I ran into an issue with my ZFS all-in-one setup this past weekend while changing around my network setup and IP addresses. Thinking I did something wrong, but not sure what I should be doing instead to change my VM server IPs.

I have an ESXi instance with gea's OmniOS VM appliance running a ZFS pool and using NFS shares back to my ESXi instance. All of that works fine, but when I change the IP address of the OmniOS VM, it breaks my NFS shares. I realize that I'll have to re-add the datastore to ESXi, but for some reason on OmniOS the NFS server doesn't start properly.

Is there a proper way to change the server IP address and have it not break my NFS shares? It's probably something simple I'm overlooking, but hoping to get some insight into what that is.

Maybe that's what I missed? If I change the host's IP via ipadm or whatever, do I first need to stop the NFS service and change those properties in a file? That way when I change the host IP NFS won't break?

It may require a service restart of NFS or CIFS

It may require a service restart of NFS or CIFS

based on OP:
I have an ESXi instance with gea's OmniOS VM appliance running a ZFS pool and using NFS shares back to my ESXi instance. All of that works fine, but when I change the IP address of the OmniOS VM, it breaks my NFS shares. I realize that I'll have to re-add the datastore to ESXi, but for some reason on OmniOS the NFS server doesn't start properly.

restart the OmniOS VM.... just thinking.

on linux distro:
1)stop NFS daemon
2) change IP address
3) start NFS
4) do no need to restart samba(CIFS).
or
on ZoL:
1) change the ip
2) restart zfs daemon (will restart NFS and samba automatically).

So I think if I just go through the steps on this page for essentially redoing my networking all seems to work ok. I think I just missed a step before and then it broke NFS on me.

based on OP:

restart the OmniOS VM.... just thinking.

on linux distro:
1)stop NFS daemon
2) change IP address
3) start NFS
4) do no need to restart samba(CIFS).
or
on ZoL:
1) change the ip
2) restart zfs daemon (will restart NFS and samba automatically).

Yup, I think I missed step 1 and 3. I was at first wondering if something on the NFS side needed to be modified as well when an IP changes, but I couldn't find anything.

Back