Esxi LSI1064E Pass Through

clarkey2r

n00b
Joined
Jun 6, 2013
Messages
6
Hi

I've just submitted my first ESXi build post here and I have a problem.

I'm trying to pass through my LSI1064E to a freenas VM but I'm failing miserably, I can select the device to pass through from the menu, reboot and then the device disappears from the list and the device isn't available to add to Guest. If I do another reboot the device shows back up, am i doing something wrong? I have already followed this to no avail.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks
 
I have a feeling this may be down to PCI-e/Bios Settings. I have used a jumper to enable the card but i don't know if I need to alter the bios settings.
 
Hmmm thats interesting, i have done this with LSI-1068E cards with no issue at all, in your bios do you have VT-D or IOMMU or SR-IOV enabled within the bios?

Also are you running latest firmware for that 1064E

Check out this article that talks about your card with others that have issues with all ESX 4.1+ and 5.x versions.. Mostly bios related as well..

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mi...nguage=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1030265
 
I think that's the link that I put in my first post. I have VT-d options enabled in the bios. I'm 99% sure it's something motherboard bios related as I don't get the "Press CTRL+S" option as the machine boots to enter the bios/setup for the card. It's like the card isn't recognized at all...

Thanks for the reply.
 
Not sure if you figured out your issue, but on my supermicro board I had to set the pci-e slot for the card to either 1.0 or 2.0, don't remember off the top of my head, rather then the default pci-e 3.0 to get my LSI1064E to work.
 
Not sure if you figured out your issue, but on my supermicro board I had to set the pci-e slot for the card to either 1.0 or 2.0, don't remember off the top of my head, rather then the default pci-e 3.0 to get my LSI1064E to work.

Did you have to do this in the bios on by a jumper or something?

Thanks for the reply.
 
It was in the BIOS on my x9srl, not sure if your board has something similar.

Advanced Setup Configurations > Chipset Configuration > Integrated IO Configuration

CPU1 Slot6 PCI-E 3.0 x8 (IN x16) Link Speed
This feature enables the user to select the target link speed for this slot. The options are GEN1 , GEN2, and GEN3

Don't remember off the top of my head if i had to chose GEN1 or 2 but the board was not seen with GEN3.
 
Back
Top