Esxi lab MSCA but with remote access needed

annilation

Limp Gawd
I am looking at setting up a esxi lab at home to study for the MCSA 2012 and am looking for suggestions on my plan of attack. A lot of the hardware I own already so more of a reusing.

Server:
i5 2400k
12gb ram (plan on bumping to 24 eventually)
2x 128 kingston ssd's
8gb usb flash drive
Win 7 for client
Server 2012 number of vms depending on labs but thinking average of 3-4.

I plan on installing the free VMware vSphere Hypervisor on the usb drive then use Workstation 10 on my surface pro to manage the clients. One thing I would really like is the ability to access my lab while at work as I study there sometimes when its slower but that is my biggest problem of a easy solution that is secure.

The server is behind 2 routers one is the cable company one that my roomate/his gf use then I have a linksys e2000 with dd-wrt for my stuff (wd nas, wdtv live, laptop, esxi box) I was thinking setup a fulltime vm of win 7 and install hamachi for remote access it seems like the easiest way to get secure access from anywhere. Any suggestions on a easier way?

Are you looking for a free or paid solution for remote access? If free, just use Teamviewer since LMI is no longer free.

Free or cheapest way possible is ideal. I will look at teamviewer. Does that seem like the best option?

Only you can answer that question. It may have all of what you are looking for, or not.

If you're looking to study for the MCSA why not run Hyper-V? Since, you know, that's a big part of the MCSA?

If you're behind a firewall at work check out running a Guacamole HTML5 RDP server at home and connect to that via browser.

Last edited:
Just used RDP or even set up RDS if you can to play with it :p

I use dyndns or no-ip for a hostname

If you're looking to study for the MCSA why not run Hyper-V? Since, you know, that's a big part of the MCSA?

If you're behind a firewall at work check out running a Guacamole HTML5 RDP server at home and connect to that via browser.

Is it me, or is Hyper-V a slower, clunkier VM solution than others? I'm using it myself for a lab to study for my MCSA (2012, as well). It just seems a bit slower than I'm used to (ESX). It could be other parts causing it (it's just a quick and dirty set up I did last Friday afternoon - Hyper-V host on Server 2012 core with a 2012 DC as a VM using a HP G380/G5 w/64GB RAM connected to iSCSI Equal Logic... Lots of room to misconfigure something).

We use esxi at work so I am just more familiar with and was given workstation 10 for free through work. I tried hyper v server 2008 a year ago it was not bad I just didnt think to use it.

Is it me, or is Hyper-V a slower, clunkier VM solution than others? I'm using it myself for a lab to study for my MCSA (2012, as well). It just seems a bit slower than I'm used to (ESX). It could be other parts causing it (it's just a quick and dirty set up I did last Friday afternoon - Hyper-V host on Server 2012 core with a 2012 DC as a VM using a HP G380/G5 w/64GB RAM connected to iSCSI Equal Logic... Lots of room to misconfigure something).

I said the same thing myself. I ended up going back to ESXi.

Same thing for me. I tried both ESXi and Hyper-V and ESXi feels stronger, more stable, more reliable and performed better than the Microsoft solution.

Back