ESXi Error: Unable to connect to the MKS

BootSector

Limp Gawd
I have just installed ESXi 4.0 (build 171294) on a Dell GX620 and I am getting the error of "Can not connect to the MKS: Internal Error" when I am trying to boot a new VM for the first time to install the OS. I have searched around and found that the /etc/vmware/config file is supposed to have a line that says "vmauthd.server.alwaysProxy = "TRUE"" which it does. Any other suggestions to get this resolved so I can set up a couple VM's on this box?

Whrm? Cannot connect to the MKS (I'm assuming on the console) means we can't talk to port 902.

Any firewalls? telnet to port 902 on the host - see anything>?

I get this text when I telnet to port 902 on the ESXi server.
220 VMware Authentication Daemon Version 1.10: SSL Required, ServerDaemonProtocol:SOAP, MKSDisplayProtocol:VNC ,

ok, so the daemon is running and we can talk to it. You have the right COS gateway set?

You're getting this when trying to view the console in the client, right?

Correct, I am getting this when trying to view the console in the vSphere client.
Can you clarify what the COS gateway is?

service console network gateway. it's what returns the VNC connection to the VM :)

wait, esxi... ok, nevermind I've been at work too long...
it'd be vmkernel gateway.

I set the vmkernel gateway to my default gateway with the command
Code:
esxcfg-route
then rebooted the ESXi server. I still get the MKS error.

ok, so ~that~ malfunctioned...

Can you give me a SS of your networking page in the client?

I don't have an 'i' box up - try this from the COS:

route add default vmk0

ok, I've been digging - nothing we've seen so far for this being regular. Do you have support?

And second question - anything at all between you and the ESX server? Try actually plugging into the physical switch (or a crossover to the SC port), lets see if we're blocking a particular port.

I got it figured out. Being frustrated with ESXi 4.0 on the GX620, I installed 3.5 U4 on a GX280. When I connected to it from my laptop, I got a simular MKS error. After some research I found a thread discussing this issue, it's actually the ATT mobile broadband software that causes this issue. After I had removed it and rebooted my laptop I was able to connect to the ESXi machine and run the console.

Back