ESXi and Virtualization questions

jtg1993

Gawd
I got enough money for my birthday (24th) and Christmas (25th) to upgrade my server, I will use my Western Digital 500GB and my Seagate 1TB and CM Elite 330 from my old server and I will be picking up a Gigabyte GA-EP43-DS3L, Intel E5200 (I will overclock) and 4GB PC-6400.
Is the GA-EP43-DS3L pretty much fully supported by ESXi? If it isn't would it be better to use Server 2003 or Server 2008 for the host OS running Vmware server? And which other Virtualization options do I have?

No idea on the mobo - it's not on the HCL, but almost nothing is. The issue will be the drives, since those aren't SCSI or SAS, and the network cards.

server 2k8 can leverage hyper-v, and is, itself, a vm running on a hypervisor. I'd recommend trying ESXi, but if you can't get the disks to be seen to do the installation, then you'll have to rethink it. Maybe Windows Home Server +VMware Server? or home server + virtualPC 2007? or RedHat Advanced Platform? or XP + VMWare Server

i am currently running vista ultimate host and vmware server2 with WHS guest os

i only use WHS for backup..... then i take a snapshot the copy the vm to an external drive..

Back